Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: good interface for mac g5??  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
good interface for mac g5??
« on: December 29, 2003, 02:38:57 PM »
ok, so the keyboardist in my band got a new g5 for xmas, i'm assuming desktop as i haven't heard anything about g5 lappys yet.
he's asking me what interface to get for studio recording applications.  ie. multiple inputs, a/d, maybe mic pre's, etc etc etc.
i'm very unfamiliar with macs and what's available out there, but i want to help him put a good system together.
what interfaces would you recommend?  
by the way the budget looks like it could be between $500-1000, and he needs software too :o
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re:good interface for mac g5??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 02:52:55 PM »
I'd say the pro tools stuff.

Also keep in mind while he wants more input options. The G5 has built in Optical Digital inputs.

But I'm mostly a Graphics Mac user those here who work in studios should be able to help more.

By the way that new avatar kills me simp! The Hedgehog!
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 03:09:11 PM »
how good are those built in inputs though?
i'm thinking he'll want something with 8 or more analog inputs...as far as i know all he really has is a mackie 16 channel mixer, no a/d.

and as for the avatar, thanks!  brian skalinder posted an interview with him that is a great read!  here it is.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 03:45:28 PM »
I think some have talk with apple about the bit accuracy and it's supposed to be rock solid. But then those with a G5 should be able to help out more. keep in mind this aint no HP PC crap with on board audio.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 03:51:59 PM »
motu 828 mkII is what your buddy NEEDS - runs about $800

upgrading to digital performer 4 would be good - another $250 - but cuemix gives you all you need

pro tools is geared more towards the pro studio, and you can only use thier digidesign gear if you want to use pro tools (kind of a monopoly) - stay away from the mbox

with the mackie 16 channel the firewire 828mkII will have enough bang for the buck
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 04:16:46 PM »
motu 828 mkII is what your buddy NEEDS - runs about $800

upgrading to digital performer 4 would be good - another $250 - but cuemix gives you all you need

pro tools is geared more towards the pro studio, and you can only use thier digidesign gear if you want to use pro tools (kind of a monopoly) - stay away from the mbox

with the mackie 16 channel the firewire 828mkII will have enough bang for the buck

the MOTU gear comes with Audiodesk...basically a stripped down Digital Performer. you can find the 828mkii for even cheaper than $800(retail)

ChrisK, you can use hardware with ProTools other than the official DigiDesign PT gear. I agree on skipping the MBox

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 04:33:19 PM »
the MOTU gear comes with Audiodesk...basically a stripped down Digital Performer.
i stand corrected

you can use hardware with ProTools other than the official DigiDesign PT gear.
news to me  :P

do you disagree with my recommendation, or are you just pointing out my mistakes?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 04:41:17 PM »
+ts to all, thanks for the recommendation.  i actually brought up the motu unit to my friend last night briefly.  i think he was looking at that also.  sounds like a winner.  can you chain more of them together to get more inputs?  what are the benefits of this device?  a/d?  any pres?  i'll take a look on their site but if you wouldn't mind pointing out a few key features that would be great...
thanks! :coolguy:
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com