Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak CM300>MX100 cables, ts or trs?  (Read 8129 times)

Offline hubbachild

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
Nak CM300>MX100 cables, ts or trs?
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
Howdy folks, I recently asked Darktrain to make me some cables for my naks> mx 100. Gonna try 3 mic mix. Anyway he asked if I wanted the 1/4" connects to be ts or trs. I honestly have no idea. Did a couple of searches but did not come up with an answer. Any help/opinion/knowledge is gratefully appreciated.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Nak CM300>MX100 cables, ts or trs?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
Howdy folks, I recently asked Darktrain to make me some cables for my naks> mx 100. Gonna try 3 mic mix. Anyway he asked if I wanted the 1/4" connects to be ts or trs. I honestly have no idea. Did a couple of searches but did not come up with an answer. Any help/opinion/knowledge is gratefully appreciated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector
I believe trs provides 3 connectors (I believe ground) and ts is only two connectors. I am really not sure of any other diffrences.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector
I believe trs provides 3 connectors (I believe ground) and ts is only two connectors. I am really not sure of any other diffrences.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »
Here is the manual for your mx-100 ( via taperssection.com reference! ) and it states inputs are unbalanced... So, do whichever you want but keep the cable short to avoid noise. Both types will work but will never be balanced into the mx-100, balanced out of the mic, yes but not into your device.

www.taperssection.com%2Freference%2Fpdf%2FManual_NakamichiMX100.pdf&ei=3XhWS925McWUtgecgqGxBA&usg=AFQjCNG_3gwuhF9HAYz6Iwy-ss8xuaXzdg&sig2=_ngAunAZJvxAxMMk3h2dzQ

runonce

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »
Looks like pin 2 goes to tip and 1 and 3 to sleeve.

http://www.nakmics.com/nak-cm300userfront2.jpg

(changed image to link for faster page load)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:06:46 AM by runonce »

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »
Yes, you want XLR>1/4" TS cables, and as these will be unbalanced inputs, you want to keep them as short as you can as someone noticed.  What I'd advise is to get them short, as in like 2' and then also get a good set of XLR>XLR cables that are any length you want so you can accomodate stands of varying heights, clamps to balcony railings or whatever else you envision using.  Basically, the signal is fine at any length as long as it's balanced (i.e. XLR>XLR), but once you unbalance the cable, you can start introducing noise, so short on the XLR>1/4" TS is good.  So I'd advise a set of 15'+ XLR>XLR cables depending on your potential length needs and then get a set of shorty XLR>1/4"TS to make the conversion into the mixer.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
The standard set of 3 Naks came with cables XLR > 1/4" TS.  There have to be a ton of them in various junk boxes around the world.  You might put an ISO in the yard sale.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

runonce

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:07 AM »
Yes, you want XLR>1/4" TS cables, and as these will be unbalanced inputs, you want to keep them as short as you can as someone noticed.  What I'd advise is to get them short, as in like 2' and then also get a good set of XLR>XLR cables that are any length you want so you can accomodate stands of varying heights, clamps to balcony railings or whatever else you envision using.  Basically, the signal is fine at any length as long as it's balanced (i.e. XLR>XLR), but once you unbalance the cable, you can start introducing noise, so short on the XLR>1/4" TS is good.  So I'd advise a set of 15'+ XLR>XLR cables depending on your potential length needs and then get a set of shorty XLR>1/4"TS to make the conversion into the mixer.

At "taper length" - Unbalanced should be just fine...10-12 ft should be plenty for stand taping.

I think - once you unbalance a cable...its unbalanced the whole way...not just at the point of unbalancing...not sure whats to be gained with the short stuff. I guess if you already had a nice set of XLRs...ok. Sorry if im misunderstanding... :-\

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »
It is possible to replace the TS-jacks on the MX-100 with TRS-jacks. (Even better with Mini-XLR.) If you are running shorter cables you can let the third pin supply your microphones with 9-10V via the MX-100. Yes, you will need to modify your microphones for that too.... Why not bypass the balancing transformer inside the microphones as well? That will give you about 10-14dB hotter signal, need for less gain. The output of the MX-100 can be impedance balanced, allowing connection to a differential input (balanced input) and running longer cables to the recorder if necessary.

Roger

runonce

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
It is possible to replace the TS-jacks on the MX-100 with TRS-jacks. (Even better with Mini-XLR.) If you are running shorter cables you can let the third pin supply your microphones with 9-10V via the MX-100. Yes, you will need to modify your microphones for that too.... Why not bypass the balancing transformer inside the microphones as well? That will give you about 10-14dB hotter signal, need for less gain. The output of the MX-100 can be impedance balanced, allowing connection to a differential input (balanced input) and running longer cables to the recorder if necessary.

Roger

Roger, how does the MX100 handle the increased gain from the mic in that configuration?

Also - what is involved in balancing the MX100 output?

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Roger, how does the MX100 handle the increased gain from the mic in that configuration?

Also - what is involved in balancing the MX100 output?

I have not had any problems. My sources are not high SPL. There is always the pad in case the signal level is too hot. I have not yet rewired the setup to power the microphones from the preamp.

This is a way of how to power the Nakamichi microphones from the MX-100 preamp and make the output of the preamp impedance balanced. The cables between microphones and preamp is not balanced and should be rather short. The balanced cables from the preamp to the recorder can be longer. You can place the preamp on the floor at the stand and then run cables to a remote located recorder. I am not doing any stealth recording.

The impedance balancing follows this Jensen document.

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/impedance_balanced_output.JPG

Here how the microphones connects to the mic preamp. The original one at the top and the modified one below.

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/modified_Nakamichis.GIF

The MX-100 is bulky. Replacing the enclosure with a smaller and lighter one is possible. LiPo batteries inside and Mini XLR connectors. Still this is not the smallest option....

Roger
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:30:10 AM by Roger Gustavsson »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com