Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems Recording with Tascam DR-07  (Read 5631 times)

Offline stgomez91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Problems Recording with Tascam DR-07
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:19:51 AM »
How's it going, tapers!
{n00b here, i'm sure you're all used to it, though)

I recently got a Tascam DR-07 for the holidays along with a pair of SP-TFB-2 microphones, binaural mics from Sound Professionals. I've used it since I received the set-up, from random conversations and subway trips to local shows. While I was satisfied with the conversations and subway trips I recorded, I was disappointed with a certain show I recorded.

I was standing in the middle of the crowd (not too many people) and I had the mic's actually in my ear with the windscreens on. I set up the Tascam INPUT recording settings as:

[MIC]
GAIN: HIGH
TYPE: STEREO
POWER: ON
FILTER:(DON'T REMEMBER, BUT IT WAS EITHER -80Hz or -120Hz)
Level CTRL: LMT

CaliSmile _bad_1.wav - 6.45MB

CaliSmile _bad_2.wav - 5.05MB

If you listen to the clips above, the recordings came out crappy and way too muffled by the bass; the 2nd one worst than the 1st, but still bad. I don't remember the recording level of the first one nor the 2nd, but I did up the vol. on the 2nd recording (as I was recording).

Now, I'm wondering why these recordings came out as bad as they did...Is it because I'm not using a bass roll-off?

I would appreciate any help or advice at all to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:01:55 AM by stgomez91 »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Problems Recording with Tascam DR-07
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »
I'm not familiar with that particular deck, but they all work about the same.  I assume this was loud/amplified music?  In that case, NEVER set the gain to "HIGH".  You will always get distortion.  Only use high gain for very quiet, unamplified music, or voice.

First question: Do you have a battery box?  If not, stop reading this, go back to Sound Pros, and get the SPSB-10 or one of their other small boxes.  You need to have a power supply for recording amplified music. 

The general rule, taking it from there, is to plug the mics into the power supply, and plug that into the LINE-IN.  If you can't get high enough levels with that, plug into the MIC input with "LOW" on.  Only if you still can't get decent levels, go to MIC input "HIGH".

Turn all of the filters, level controls, and all that crap off.  That stuff is not for recording music.

If you do all of this and you're still unhappy, then you are probably in the market for a mic upgrade :)  Virtually every person on this board unrepentantly fluffs the Church CA-11 and CA-14 small mics, and while I don't own a pair, it is true that nobody has a bad thing to say about them.  Church also makes a small omni mic, the CAFS omni, that you might want to look into as well.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline stgomez91

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:34:39 AM »
So, I went to a show tonight and did as you suggested: set the gain to "LOW," and turned off the filter and I got a GREAT recording. Even though I did get a good recording I'm still going to look into that battery box.

Thanks A LOT for your response and your advice!

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:01:52 PM »
Glad you got a good pull. I've used SP-TFB-2s into an LS-10 mic-in for quite a bit of stuff. Even at the LS-10's low sensitivity setting, I have to run with the level control at about 4 - 5 to avoid overloading.

The windscreens are especially important when recording quiet material - I had a few recordings marred by eardrum clicks before I figured that out. If I was recording LOUD amplified material, I'd want a battery box. However, I've captured a very large pipe organ without any problems using the mic-in.

Once in a while, you might need to apply a high-pass filter to deal with HVAC rumble, but that should be done in postprocessing.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline the_artist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 05:24:36 AM »
SP-TFB-2 into the mic in on a DR-07 is exactly what I have used since March 2009.  A couple of times I out a SP-PREAMP in line but really I couldn't tell the difference.  The SP-TFB-2/DR-07 combo can take a very loud sound.  links to mp3 on my blog http://turnitupto10.blogspot.com/  there are a few Box hosted single tracks you can listen to.

I leave the sensitivity on LOW most of the time but occasionally with quieter artists I'll switch to MID.  Don't think I have ever used HIGH.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com