Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic config?  (Read 5725 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Mic config?
« on: February 16, 2004, 09:07:44 PM »
Just scored my tix for bela fleck 7th row in york PA.  Ill be running

oktava Mk-012 (cards)>DMIC-20>d8

What config should i run the oktavas in?  Wondering if being in the 7th row should change anything.  Its in a real nice theater and im guessing the acoustics are gonna be great.  ideas?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Mic config?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 09:10:34 PM »
ORTF....

be careful. setup everything in a bag before the show and bring in a stand with a little footprint. setup right before the band comes on and keep your stand low! sometimes taping BF&FT from FOB can be a bit of a hassle,  be low key and you'll be fine!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 09:52:20 PM »
How wide is the venue should also be taken into consideration.  If it's real wide ORTF should work well.  DIN could also work.
Or try a mod of something that's written in "the book".  that's the best way to find out what your gear does best.  

have fun
phil
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 09:53:21 PM by plucks »
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 10:08:44 PM »
awesome, im sure what the stage is like, but i didn't realize the flecktones and FOB aren't cool with each other.  I think if i set up at the last minute it should be good.

Offline Mcrtheiss

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 12:11:37 AM »
First of all, do not listen to Phil.  This guy has no idea what he's talking about.  Second of all, no band is really 'cool' with fob as a policy (that I know of).  However, a lot of bands have come to accept it if you are respectful by being as low-pro as possible (see, 'our dumb-asses this past weekend').  I can't speak for bela, but just a head's up and be careful.  Third, bottom line is consider how close you are to the sound source and figure the closer you are the wider the angle should be.  Don't go any more than 110.  7th row is a little close, but if you're going to tape from there ortf would be best.  Remember, Phil is not to be trusted.

BobW

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 12:13:34 AM »
ORTF....

be careful. setup everything in a bag before the show and bring in a stand with a little footprint. setup right before the band comes on and keep your stand low! sometimes taping BF&FT from FOB can be a bit of a hassle,  be low key and you'll be fine!
I've seen a few FOB rigs go with no complaint.
Soundman pointed each and every one out to me when I asked for a board patch. Said to patch from them :D

They will get picky about blocking views, aisle, etc.
Bela is very fan-friendly and very good about taping/photography.  As always, be prepared for a security guard or other authority who may get in the plan. It's their sandbox that we play in.

You may want to print this and bring it along. Tthis assumes that the guard can read:

http://www.flecktones.com/misc.asp#taper

TAPERINFO:

* The Flecktones do allow audio taping of some of their performances. Absolutely NO video taping is allowed. We don't set up a taper section. If the venue does not permit taping, we will comply with their wishes. Our contracts request that there should not be any reproductions of any kind. This is a standard clause that protects the promoter and the Flecktones. If you attend a show you should be prepared for the possibility that you will not be able to bring in your recorder. Sorry, we don't allow board tapes, just microphones. If you do tape we are concerned that your taping does not interfere with other audience members in any way (this means microphones stands blocking someone's view or just causing a scene). Some venues are more compatible to the physical set up of microphones than others. The specific situation will decide the outcome.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 12:22:04 AM by BobW »

Offline Mcrtheiss

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 12:20:12 AM »
We've had a lot of security pass us up fob because we're low-pro.  What band actually pointed fob tapers out?

BobW

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 12:25:38 AM »
All about the 'Tones.
Their soundman sort of kept track of the tapers.
I assume to be sure that they didn't do anything like raise a 15' pole with a stuffed hippo, a pair of vert TLs, and flashing lights.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 12:27:27 AM by BobW »

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 12:27:31 AM »
Second of all, no band is really 'cool' with fob as a policy (that I know of).  

Then you don't know a lot of bands.

Remember, Phil is not to be trusted.

And we should take your word for it why?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Mcrtheiss

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 12:29:11 AM »
All about the 'Tones.
Their soundman sort of kept track of the tapers.
I assume to be sure that they didn't do anythink like raise a 15' pole with a stuffed hippo and flashing lights.
Exactly.  Remain low-pro and you'll be good.  Back to your question, from that close do ortf.  I would actually recommend moving back some if you can.  Then again, it depends on the size of the venue.  Ask phil, he might know.

Offline Mcrtheiss

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 12:34:35 AM »
Second of all, no band is really 'cool' with fob as a policy (that I know of).  

Then you don't know a lot of bands.

I admit I don't 'know' a lot of bands.  What I do know is that we always tape fob and always assume they're not 'cool'.  Therefore, I do not 'know' them.

Remember, Phil is not to be trusted.

And we should take your word for it why?

You are obviously sarcastically challenged.  I went to college with him and know him better than anyone on the list.  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 12:40:11 AM »
You are obviously sarcastically challenged.  I went to college with him and know him better than anyone on the list.  

Or perhaps you're electronic-communication challenged and don't know when to slide in a smiley face at approriate moments since the normal visual and auditory clues tipping one off to sarcasm are not present in an online message board.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Mcrtheiss

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 12:44:42 AM »

Or perhaps you're electronic-communication challenged and don't know when to slide in a smiley face at approriate moments since the normal visual and auditory clues tipping one off to sarcasm are not present in an online message board.

That I can plead guilty to, since they are obviously not present.  Sorry for the confusion, and I'm definately sorry for getting so far off topic. ;)

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 01:38:38 AM »
Alex,

Best of luck getting gear in.  The 'tones have one of those venue-dependent policies, so you have to be low pro like everyone else said.  Most of the venues they play in are so clueless to taping they'll default to "no."  I'd suggest calling or emailing beforehand just to make sure they're cool with it.  John R has a way with venue staff at Flecktones shows, maybe he can offer some pointers.

That close with good acoustics, I'd go ORTF.  Also, the crowd will be way louder than the music, so you'll probably blow out the front end of the dmic between songs.  For me, that's a sacrifice worth making instead of giving up headroom during the music.  Keep it low-pro and you'll be good to go.  Also, it's more a sit-down crowd FWIW.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 02:23:15 PM »
ALex... the tones are cool but sometimes the venues and crowds are not. The average 'tones crowd is not your average jamband crowd.. they are usually older and more of a jazz oriented crowd, sometimes they get their panties in a bunch if they think you are going to disturb them or block their view.

and everyone, give Theiss a break!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com