Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What kind of video camera is being used?  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Hot-Cross

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What kind of video camera is being used?
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
Hey guys,

A little weird request.  I am a big fan of the BVTV videos on Youtube and the quality of this guy's work.  Would it be possible for any of you to maybe be able to guess what kind of camcorder he uses based on the quality?  I know it's HD, but based on the superb quality, I feel like it might be one which is $1000+.  I am really interested in purchasing a similar video camera, but I don't have a clue as to what model.  Here are a few videos to give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3gT1nTt1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTjTGSwIhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Dt78sndLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBc-0NcK5g

As always, watch in 720p or 1080p to get a better idea, and many thanks!

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Re: What kind of video camera is being used?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
Why don't you just ask him?
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
Ya no doubt.  It would be impossible to guess.  Just PM him.  I get about 5 emails a week on youtube asking me that question.

EDIT:  And I'm not sure what you like so much about it.  Looks like a point and shoot to me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:49:35 AM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline Hot-Cross

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:28:32 PM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, he doesn't reply to PMs, and when he's been asked before, he says it's a secret, as if it were really that big of a deal.  Maybe it really is just a normal HD cam, but it just seems to be leaps and bounds above my Canon HF20, which has a reasonable amount of graininess in low light.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, he doesn't reply to PMs, and when he's been asked before, he says it's a secret, as if it were really that big of a deal.  Maybe it really is just a normal HD cam, but it just seems to be leaps and bounds above my Canon HF20, which has a reasonable amount of graininess in low light.
That's because the HF200/20 sucks really badly in low light.

Most cams will perform better.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
If he wants to keep his camera type some kind of insiders secret, he's a moron.

There is absolutely no way to tell what kind of camera was used just by watching the videos shot with it.

At least one of the clips looked like it was vibrating from the loudness, not like typical hand held shakiness. That leads me to think it might be a hard drive based camera because I've heard of that happening, though I don't own one so I can't confirm it.

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
If he wants to keep his camera type some kind of insiders secret, he's a moron.

There is absolutely no way to tell what kind of camera was used just by watching the videos shot with it.

At least one of the clips looked like it was vibrating from the loudness, not like typical hand held shakiness. That leads me to think it might be a hard drive based camera because I've heard of that happening, though I don't own one so I can't confirm it.
Hard drive cams can certainly be shaken by the music resulting in picture blur or, once in my experience, causing the cam to shut down altogether. They are much more susceptible to that than flash based memory. At the same time, I was in a situation recording onto an SD card that I got some blurring - that was attributed to a combination of cam position relative to the PA and my tripod not being dampened enough to filter out the heavy vibes.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:11 AM »
I am a big fan of the BVTV videos on Youtube and the quality of this guy's work. 

Really? I suspect he may have attention deficit disorder judging by the quality of the camera work. I got a headache from watching 30 seconds of it.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
These are point and shoot cameras in automatic mode with poor editing. Always is best to lock shutter speed to 60,use Neutral Density filters to keep Iris at 5.6 or more open and set white balance and focus manually , just as you would not use automatic gain and limiter on your audio rig the same applies for video. 

Offline odmen01

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »
Hey i want to buy a camera for serious photography...............what should be my budget?

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
Did you want to take still photographs or moving pictures?

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
Their is nothing special about the cameras they are using except that they are good in low light
defineately not point and shoots or Dslr's
probably something like panasonic TM700/sd600 or sony cx cameras

What is interesting is the movements, that is done in post or with some specially designed tripod/monopod or handheld rig.  not sure how they are achieving that

others have said that the 'shimmy' or vibration you see in the video could be cuz these are hard drive cameras,  that could be true but some times this happens to non hard drive cams too when bass is high.  It could also be something they are adding in post
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline Hot-Cross

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Well, I'm not necessarily a fan of how he is so sporadic with the zooming and movement of his camera.  When he makes 2-cam mixes though, his partners seem to do a much better job.  Regardless, I enjoy my HF20, but I am disappointed with the lowlight quality.  Would anyone care to recommend me an HD camera that would give me superb results all around?

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
These are fantastic little cams. Sony cx 500,cx 520 and cx 550. And im sure the panasonic tm700 or tm900 are as well.  Check ebay

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
One of the tags on the first link is "red".  Not that it's what camera is used.  And it's not a consistent tag across all videos.  I always add a tag for my camcorder and mic on my vids.  At least anything made in the past month or so.  You have to know they exist first.  But given the motion (and apparent lack of rigging) and the lack of artifacts from it, it's likely a high end camera.  That much hand-held-ness on most consumer cams would blur or breakdown bitrate wise pretty quick.  Especially in low light.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
One of the tags on the first link is "red".  Not that it's what camera is used.  And it's not a consistent tag across all videos.  I always add a tag for my camcorder and mic on my vids.  At least anything made in the past month or so.  You have to know they exist first.  But given the motion (and apparent lack of rigging) and the lack of artifacts from it, it's likely a high end camera.  That much hand-held-ness on most consumer cams would blur or breakdown bitrate wise pretty quick.  Especially in low light.

Agreed

If you want to look into Digital camera look at the Sony Hx9v & hx100v or the Panasonic GF2
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com