Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how various mics sound  (Read 2766 times)

Offline stvgray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
how various mics sound
« on: March 06, 2004, 12:26:21 AM »
I don't know if this exists anywhere, but does anyone know of a site where they give short descriptions of the sonic characteristics of various mics usef for live taping?

What would be cool is something like a table with various models, prices, polar pattern, maybe columns for top end, mids, bottom, overall tonal balance, spatial characteristics.

Anybody know of something like that? Or, if it can't be that convenient, at least a site with a nice collection of reviews of mics commonly used by tapers?
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:how various mics sound
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 08:55:33 AM »
there's a cd out there ("The Great Mic Shootout"?) that has a ton of sound samples from different mics.  I think it was done with someone reading a magazine article and changing mics every few sentences.  I can't remember where I saw this, but I'll post back if I do.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 12:44:08 PM »
I don't believe any site like that exists (it'd be cool if it did). the next best thing might be listening to shows taped by gear you possibly want.  if you post in ask the tapers, many would be happy to share samples or full copies of tapes they've made.  I'm sure on this board alone you could find almost any combination you could think of....
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 07:19:02 PM »
anything i have is yours let me know. i can give you some 391 > Wmod Ua-5 combo, and some Geffells > Mini Me, i have a few of each. as well as a bunch of others laying around here.  let me know, pm me, and i'll get you some if you want.  peace.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 07:20:42 PM »
here's the fundamental problem with this- all the scientific stuff is available online, but beyond that- its all subjective.  i can make a neumann m149 (one of my fav mics of all time) sound like total junk, but i can also make it sound really nice.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 07:32:09 PM »
this may be true, and it might be hard to compare shows, cause who knows exactly where the taper was.  i have some tapes that are from the same room, in the same position, cause we always set up in the same place.  that might be the best for comparison, although different bands might make it harder. but i'd just say listen to people's opinions, and their tapes. see what you like from each. whether you like increadible detail, or natural warm sound. just experiment, and if you can use other gear then do it, get a feel for it, and find what you like.  good luck.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 10:17:18 PM »
The idea of trying to figure out the sound of different mics by comparing recordings made by different people in different places sounds hopeless to me.  Best would be recordings made the same person in the same place. Next best, I guess, and pretty darn good, would be the comments of somebody who owns or has owned several of the highly regarded mics over time and has a sense of their sound.

Any ideas on where to find that kind of knowledge?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 08:58:52 PM by stvgray »
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »
i think going to the archive and just listening to lots of samples of all the different mics and making your own judgements might be the best idea.  thats what i do, if i'm wondering how a mic would sound with a certain setup.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 08:20:56 PM »
Listen, a lot... to a lot of different mics in a lot of different venues by a lot of different tapers. the sonic signatures of each piece of gear will slowly become more apparent.

it takes a while and you have to listen a lot but it's the best way....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 08:34:47 PM »
I agree with most of what is said here....the one thing I will add is listen not only to mics/pre/A/d combos, but also to the types of music you are looking to record.  There are some mics that are better suited to the bluegrass, more acoustic sound in my opinion, while some perform better for loud brash rock and roll.

It took me about 3 years of running entry level mics and getting to understand what I liked and did not like about that for me to really understand what I wanted to hear from my tapes.  The funny thing is that when I started I had a rough time picking one piece of gear from another, after my experience, once I heard what I wanted, I knew it at that moment.

The best advice is dont buy mics because of (1) what everyone runs, (2) it is cheap, or (3) without having some idea of what you are going to get from it sound wise.  This will quickly become an expensive proposition, and quite honestly, you will find that just because folks like a certain mic that you will...

my .02  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com