Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Microphone Questions  (Read 2125 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Newbie Microphone Questions
« on: March 09, 2004, 01:04:08 PM »
After seeing shows and trading tapes/disks for many years, I want to start recording.  I'm thinking of starting with some mini stealth mics.  I'll likely upgrade to something for open taping pretty soon, but stealth mics will probably come in handy.  I'm thinking of the Giant Squid Audio omni powered stereo mics:
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-poweredbattery1.htm
I figure that I can't really go wrong for only $90.  On the other hand, you get what you pay for.  Does anybody out there use these?

Has anybody seen (or heard) the OKM/Soundman mics?  
http://www.okmmicrophones.com/IE/okmhome.html
They look good, but I have no way of judging.

Also, what do y'all think of stereo mics?  I'm thinking of the Rode NT4 or the Studio Projects LSD2.  Does anybody use these?  As a newbie, it seems like it may be easier for me to have only one single stereo mic with a fixed XY configuration instead of having to deal with setting up 2 microphones.   The LSD2 costs about $800.  Am I better off with a matched pair for that amount of money?

Thanks for the input.  This board is a great resource.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re:Newbie Microphone Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 01:31:26 PM »
I have one recording with the Giant Squids.  It sounds pretty good, but there are no other recordings that night for me to compare to...  I've heard that some of Darren's mics (GS) have had problems that have needed fixing...  But I'm thinking Darren has worked most of those out...  He's around on the board...

The Audio Technica 8xx series is a great set of stealths...

As for larger mics, the Studio Project C4 mics are a nice stereo matched pair with both card and omni caps and comes with case, windscreens and mounts.  $300 for the pair.

I think someone is selling a pair of ADK SC-1s in Yard Sale, they are about the same, if not better.

Rode makes good mics, I've heard good things about their new NT1000 (???).  I've used an NT4 before and it is nice.  But with these types of single-point stereo mics, they run XY all the time, which may or may not be appropriate for recording some shows.

Good luck!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 02:11:08 PM »
There are a few tapers on DAT-Heads that use the OKM mics with seemingly good success - I know there's one guy in Germany who tapes with them a lot (Sebastian Boschert, I think).

If you want to hear how they sound, there are some examples up on archive.org's Live  Music Archive - here's a link: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-searchresults.php?searchAll=yes&collection=etree&submit=main&search=okm&limit=100&start=0
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 02:50:38 PM »
never have cared for the OKMs, although I don't give the tapers much credit either ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com