Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: right angle stereo mini to right angle stereo mini  (Read 9502 times)

Offline sunshinedavedream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
right angle stereo mini to right angle stereo mini
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
I need to go from my DPA MM6000 preamp to my Korg MR2...does anyone make a stock right angle stereo mini to right angle stereo mini or is that a custom jobber? I havent dealt with stereo mini plugs in 20 years...TIA Dave
"Avoid all needle drugs. The only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon."- Abbie Hoffman

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: right angle stereo mini to right angle stereo mini
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »
I need to go from my DPA MM6000 preamp to my Korg MR2...does anyone make a stock right angle stereo mini to right angle stereo mini or is that a custom jobber? I havent dealt with stereo mini plugs in 20 years...TIA Dave

you can probably find one pre fab or I(or others) can make you a nice one for a pretty fair price to exactly the length you want

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
I was just going to post about needing one of these, too - Naiant Tinybox to Edirol R-09 or R-09HR.  Wouldn't want a very long cable.  What would be the shortest you would suggest darktrain?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
I was just going to post about needing one of these, too - Naiant Tinybox to Edirol R-09 or R-09HR.  Wouldn't want a very long cable.  What would be the shortest you would suggest darktrain?

personally i like to leave a little "wiggle" room and go a bit longer and is it for "less than open" or open taping? And are the unit together or seperated?

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

personally i like to leave a little "wiggle" room and go a bit longer and is it for "less than open" or open taping? And are the unit together or seperated?

Almost always for stealth, I have a different open rig.  I just got the tinybox, so haven't used it yet, but I often put an elastic band around the preamp and recorder to keep them together, thus figuring a short cable makes better sense than the one I have now. 

On another note, I jsut saw another post you made where you suggest a right angle at one end and a straight connection at the other for greater versatility.  So now I have a second option to consider.  ;D

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »

Almost always for stealth, I have a different open rig.  I just got the tinybox, so haven't used it yet, but I often put an elastic band around the preamp and recorder to keep them together, thus figuring a short cable makes better sense than the one I have now. 

On another note, I jsut saw another post you made where you suggest a right angle at one end and a straight connection at the other for greater versatility.  So now I have a second option to consider.  ;D

yeh, seems like coming off the tinybox a straight works better and stays out of the way of the switches.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »
I've found that with the Neutrik right angle connector, it always swings above the switches. The only thing it can swing into is the input cable.

dorrcoq

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »
So...straight at one end, right angle at the other?  And what, 12-18" max?  Or even shorter?  Do you want to PM me a price?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »
I've found that with the Neutrik right angle connector, it always swings above the switches. The only thing it can swing into is the input cable.

Just seems more flexible(as far as usability) to have one end right angle and one end straight from my experience, but there are exceptions.

Offline Drifter1

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »
just to add my two cents that Darktrain makes great cables and was a pleasure to do business with in the past for my Mtrack cabling
 ;D
actually I myself will be needing one of these right angle cables made in the near future to go with my 4th rig setup...talk to u in a few weeks darktrain
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:56:14 PM by Drifter1 »

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
I don't think a right angle plug will work with the MMA6000, the jack is inset too deep and there isn't enough clearance for a right angle plug. If I remember correctly. You probably want a cable that is straight on one side and right angle on the other -- or better yet, try to find a custom one where the straight end has a locking plug that's compatible with the MMA6000's locking jack.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
I don't think a right angle plug will work with the MMA6000, the jack is inset too deep and there isn't enough clearance for a right angle plug. If I remember correctly. You probably want a cable that is straight on one side and right angle on the other -- or better yet, try to find a custom one where the straight end has a locking plug that's compatible with the MMA6000's locking jack.

Not sure if the Neutrick RA plug works with the MMA6000 (I think it will interfere with the preamp housing and the sliding door), but typical inexpensive cables with pre-molded RA connectors work with it since the molded portion after the bend is short enough to fit within the recess on the back of the preamp and nothing sticks out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »

Just seems more flexible(as far as usability) to have one end right angle and one end straight from my experience, but there are exceptions.

I'm an exception then Robb, because ALL my 1/8" cables have rt-angle on both ends  except 1 cable :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »

I'm an exception then Robb, because ALL my 1/8" cables have rt-angle on both ends  except 1 cable :)

I think your the exception to the rule on a lot of things  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »

I think your the exception to the rule on a lot of things  ;D

HAhaha, so true ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com