Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm version  (Read 3093 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm version
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
With all the friggin gear I have for playback and recording the one thing I never really got involved with until now is a good quality set of headphones.  I first started out doing research over at headfi.org (a lot like the Tapers Section but headphone related)  reading the many post I came across.  This lead me to the headroom website that has a library of headphones to look at including freq. curve charts, specs etc etc.  I settled on two brands Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic... as being the two big boys on the block. After more reading and comparing I settled on Beyerdynamic DT Pro series of headphones as the best one to meet what my needs. The next question was the DT770 closed back, DT880 semi open or the DT990 Open back.  Ultimately I decided on the DT990 Pro 250 ohm version. They arrived today and all I can say is wow.  They are phenomenal.  I love their tonal balance, clarity, comfort.  I am driving them with a ZERO DAC 09 version with the OPA627 op amps... I realize that they will burn in a little bit and only improve more.  If you are looking for a good set of cans check out the Beyers!  Hand made in Germany you can't go wrong!!!  If the Tapers Section has taught me one thing do your research and you will find the best bang for the buck out...

My next quest is to upgrade to another amp... don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the Zero Dac...it is warm and musical.

But I see a pile of Schitt in my future.... and maybe for casual listening maybe a Woo Audio Amp....

O there is a very interesting world out there of headphone stuff.

Peace OOK
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:40:18 PM by OOK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm version
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
Headphone listening can be great, especially if you have kids, a renter or for late night. Headphone amps are like tonic water for your gin or gin for your tonic water! In other word, it is important and will effect your over all listening enjoyment and ability to engage with your headphone. I've owned and tried a number of them but since I bought the "can opener" , aka, a break out box, I've sold all my headphone amps. I now use my stereo amp to run my headphones and it sounds freak'n fantastic. You can build your own or just buy the "can opener" for $65.00 and be done with it headphone amps forever.

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:10:21 AM »
I had 990's for like 13 years. They sounded great.

One channel developed some crackling and I never figured out what caused it, donated it to the tin-eared gf who doesn't notice it.

Replaced them with Beyer dt48 audiologist phones. Most people would not like these because there is no euphony involved.

Compared to the 990's the 990's are very euphonic in a good way. But for tracking or monitoring the dt48's are really excellent.
The first few hours or so after I got them I thought I made a huge mistake, they sounded terrible to me. Then after that I adjusted and think
they are incredible, not much bass to them but with aftermarket wide cups it adds some bass into the equation. If I could find their speaker equivalent those would be the next speakers I would buy.

With the 48's I literally heard a drummer fart on an album that I have heard many times before but never could hear it.  I always
wondered why the other musicians were giggling at the end of that track - now I know.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
I gave the DT990's a try at B+H a few years ago and loved them. Planned on picking them up, but I'm now working in cubicle world so I can't really do the open backs. I'd love to have them for home use...but I really don't use can's enough to warrant spending that kind of dough.

Was back at B+H the other day and tried the Beyer Custom One Pro's...loved those as well. Those are sealed so I think I may pick those up for listening at work. I get a lot of phone calls so I need to get one of those flashing lights you can plug into your phone line that will light up when you get a call. :P

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
I gave the DT990's a try at B+H a few years ago and loved them. Planned on picking them up, but I'm now working in cubicle world so I can't really do the open backs. I'd love to have them for home use...but I really don't use can's enough to warrant spending that kind of dough.

Was back at B+H the other day and tried the Beyer Custom One Pro's...loved those as well. Those are sealed so I think I may pick those up for listening at work. I get a lot of phone calls so I need to get one of those flashing lights you can plug into your phone line that will light up when you get a call. :P

I would get the DT990 with the open back anyway.  Listening at a decent level I really doubt anyone would hear them in an office setting.  but they would leave enough sound in that you would hear your phone.  I purchased mine through B+H too.... 

but check out the website ( http://www.headphone.com/headphones/ )

When you select a headphone to look at you can see the freq chart of that headphone.  You can then compare it up to 3 other pairs of headphones see the difference in the curves.  I was pretty surpised by some of the shitty curves that I saw.  I found the website very helpful, it was akin to the DPA university when I first started researching what microphones I wanted.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:51:00 PM by OOK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com