Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headamp GS-X  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Headamp GS-X
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
I'm looking at mid price range transparent headphone amps capable of driving high impedance phones and see a number of people on headfi.org saying many positive things about the GS-X (and now discontinued GS-1) made by Justin at Headamp. http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/index.htm

Anybody here know anything about these?

I'd be feeding this with a DAC (currently have an audioengine D1) from my computer for mixing/mastering so definitely want to stay transparent but still sound pretty good and drive a wide range of headphones. One of the things I also like about this unit is dual headphone jacks so I can have two different pairs and easily switch between the two

Built by hand when ordered it looks like so a decent lead time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:02:38 PM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Headamp GS-X
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
Talking to myself...

Seems like the build time for these could be really long depending on where he is the cycle. Maybe a Zdac or something is the way to go.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
If you buy used at a decent price....  A new GS-x mk2 will put you back 2796$ the price marked on the website is a 1/4 deposit.  If you are just getting into the game there are much better buys than dropping that kind of coin on a new amp.

what is your budget?   I find taping and headphone gear a lot like nascar...  how fast do you want to go? 

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »
If you buy used at a decent price....  A new GS-x mk2 will put you back 2796$ the price marked on the website is a 1/4 deposit.  If you are just getting into the game there are much better buys than dropping that kind of coin on a new amp.

This.

If you're using headphones that are at least 250 impedance, then a SPL Phonitor (original, not the new one) is an attractive option. Used on eBay they are running around $1200. I didn't get the original one because all of my cans are under 100 (and thats one thing they fixed in the second edition). It's not euphoric, but it's well suited for mixing/mastering on headphones because you can start to compensate for how the imaging will be affected by transitioning to speakers.

If you just need a clean amp, then there are decent options in the $500 range that will work well with higher impedance cans.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
Oh jeez, I read that as you would pay a quarter of THAT. No, this is not for me right now...  :facepalm:

I have ATH-M50s and just recently got a pair of DT-880s at 600 ohms. I like the 880s for mixing so far but definitely need a little more power. Everything is cranked and it's just at a comfortable level. I don't need to deafen myself but I need a little more volume to hear everything I need to hear and I'd just like to have the right gear of course.

Yeah, I'm thinking more in the $500 range right now.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »
When I was auditioning headphones six weeks or so ago, I listened long and hard at the DT880 premium.  I assume you have the premium...I think I read that the pro's only came in 250ohm model.  I ended up buying the DT990 premiums for the thump, but it turns out they sold me the 32ohm version and it didn't match up right with the amp I bought, so they went back and since they didn't have the 600 ohm model, I opted for the sonic neutrality of the Sennheiser HD600.  Then a week or two later I got a pair of used DT990 pro off of ebay.  Those sound great too, but they don't have the shizzle of the 990 premium (which REALLY have an exciting low end thump if you're into that).  I like electronic music so that's something I want more of even than the 990 pro which has a reasonable thump on it own, so I'm thinking about upgrading to the 990 premium.  That said, I do enjoy having the sonically neutral phones for both listening enjoyment but especially for mastering and that would probably be the desert island pair if I had to select only one pair of high quality phones to use.

My ATH-M50 are what I haul out to the show now.  I've kinda stopped listening to them at home because the open back phones just have a more airy natural sound that is great for mastering.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:39:57 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
Oh jeez, I read that as you would pay a quarter of THAT. No, this is not for me right now...  :facepalm:

I have ATH-M50s and just recently got a pair of DT-880s at 600 ohms. I like the 880s for mixing so far but definitely need a little more power. Everything is cranked and it's just at a comfortable level. I don't need to deafen myself but I need a little more volume to hear everything I need to hear and I'd just like to have the right gear of course.

Yeah, I'm thinking more in the $500 range right now.

Get the 2012 Zero/Dac with the OPA627.  I use the Zero/Dac with  OPA627 with the DT-990 pros.  I love the set up. Its warm and is very affordable as you can have one new for 125-150$ depending where you get it......  While I am in the process of upgrading and doing my research the Zero/Dac has made it easy for me to take my time.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
Don't snicker, this could be the best $14 you put into a pair of cans

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS/

l put one in our loading dock location fearing anything nicer might walk away.
When I plugged the Grados in it, I was quite pleasantly surprised.

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com