Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Finalizing first setup: Mic stand for pair of AKG C 1000's?  (Read 17969 times)

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Finalizing first setup: Mic stand for pair of AKG C 1000's?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »
Those rain covers look sweet though so I will keep them in mind if I find myself planning with a little more time for adverse weather. But I imagine unless they're made of some special material they could be copied for much less using hardware store materials? Maybe that's why they're so expensive...

Even some professional film crews / audio recordists use hardware store materials. The commercially available options I quoted have a slightly more professional finish to them. But essentially they're made out of the same materials. Check out the following articles:

http://designingsound.org/2011/08/frank-bry-on-rain-recording-north-country-rain-hd-library-available/
http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/windscreens-and-mounts-the-basics/

I have some custom-made "Reinhardt Rain Hat". Basically, it's made out of 10-PPI / coarse PUR - and the reverse side is made out of the same HDPE (Polyethylene) material in which computer monitors (or tv screens) are wrapped on delivery. That sort of HDPE sheet is sonically transparent but water-proof.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46en9w7n6yzedlu/rainhat.JPG?dl=0

So just to confirm: Yes, with a little bit of DIY you could build your own cover. The thicker the layer of the open cell foam sheet, the better...

http://foammart.com/foam-flexible-open-cell/reticulated-black-10-ppi/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:20:00 AM by if_then_else »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 04:45:52 AM »
And about the Zoom... that sucks to hear. I've heard all positive reviews up until now but I will take your word for it, which is a bummer to hear. The plus side is that I did specify the 2015 model when ordering (over the 2009 model) and should I hate it, I should be able to sell it relatively easy.

I thought you posted that you had a Zoom H4. The Zoom H4 is close to 10 years old and it does suck. If you bought a Zoom still being manufactured in 2015 you should be in good shape. After hearing great things about it, with some trepidation I bought a Zoom H6 in 2014 & its a great machine. All the Zooms with phantom power made after the H4 & H2 are much better than the H4, though until the H6 came out they would not have been one of my first choices.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:48:11 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 05:42:41 AM »
Put your gear bag/recorder in one of these. Loop the cables so and rain/moisture doesn't run into the bag.

http://www.ziploc.com/en/products/home-organization/big-bags/big-bags-l
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline HelenKellerwilliams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
Hi all,

Mail day! Things are arriving and I hope to get some photos up. Only one issue so far which is that the T bar seems pretty small compared to what I've seen (I know you want a good spread of the mics) it is about 8 inches wide. Is anything wider recommended? I get that the width will grow based on the placement of the two mics.

Also, my mistake on misnaming the Zoom H4n which I have just received

edit:

So, realizing the cables aren't quite long enough, they could reach the top pocket of my bag but would still make the cables pretty taught. I will need to figure out something to do.

Right now I'm mostly playing with the Zoom to try and configure it...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:31:24 PM by HelenKellerwilliams »

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
I previously suggested finding a cheap camera bag, with an adjustable strap -- wrap strap around the stand so that the bag hangs down where the legs go out. I used to do something similar, but my stand has big knobs, so you can hang the bag much higher.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
One trick I learned:  loop your mic cable around the t-bar and through itself, so that any pulling on the cable stresses the t-bar and not your mic...

And get some velcro ties to hold your mic cable onto your stand...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 10:19:38 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the responses :D! I didn't receive an email re: my post (should have double checked) and and have since made the order! I decided to go with these items:

Shure mic stand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113773-REG/Shure_S15A_S15A_Microphone_Stand.html

I've had one of those since I started taping in 2000. It's served me well, and goes up wicked high when needed. One warning, though: be careful when lowering it. I've left skin at some shows because it came down fast on a finger. Looks like you have a nice setup, though! Early on I really wanted C1000's, but I never got them. I've heard good and bad out about them, but every recording I've heard made with them has sounded great.

I use a Marantz PMD660, and to keep it off the floor, I looped a string through the doodads where a strap would go, and hang that on the knob for the stand's legs. Clamping it, I would think, would make it susceptible to breaking if someone brushed up against it. I thought about, but decided against it.

If you don't have windscreens for your mics, there's a dude in the Yard Sale who makes "Dead Muppet" windscreens. I bought a pair and have been very happy with them. Welcome to the hobby!
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com