Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audition or Audacity?  (Read 8279 times)

Online Dan33185

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
Audition or Audacity?
« on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
I've been using Adobe Audition to master shows as long as I've been recording, but I see a bunch of people here use Audacity as well. Is there an advantage to using one over the other, or does it just come down to personal preference?
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audition or Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 04:47:17 PM »
Is the adobe product free, open source, and runs on mac, linux and pc?

Audacity meets those criteria.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:05:09 AM »

No, but let's pretend all things are equal as far as price and OS for the sake of this thread. I'm just asking about the actual programs, nothing else.

North Country Sounds

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:06:57 PM »
The correct answer is, use whichever tools and methodologies you find most appropriate. I use Logic, because that's what is the easiest workflow for me and gets me the sound I want. The above comment points out some benefits to using Audacity, but the same argument can be made for Reaper; I don't think one tool is inherently "better" or "worse" than the other, and it isn't necessarily the sole reason why you should or shouldn't use a program. Both are different and have their purposes. I don't think Audition and Audacity are equivocal, both accomplish different skill sets and different work flows. I say use whatever works best for you and gets you the sound you want, just like taper gear.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
Audition, if this is a "which do you like better" thread.
I have a bunch of workflows and filter sets built-out already and it makes life easier

Wavelab also a favorite
Soundforge, and Samplitude-Sequoia are also on my "familiar and like" list

I still use CD-Wave for tracking, yup, I'm a fossil...

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline morst

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:06:32 AM »

Online Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »
Audition, if this is a "which do you like better" thread.
I have a bunch of workflows and filter sets built-out already and it makes life easier

Wavelab also a favorite
Soundforge, and Samplitude-Sequoia are also on my "familiar and like" list

I still use CD-Wave for tracking, yup, I'm a fossil...

Hey, same here! Guess I'm a fossil as well  :lol:

North Country Sounds

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
Audition 3.0 for me is my go to program. Like 108Ω said WaveLab is very good. CDWaveEditor for tracking ... it's still (for me) the best method.  I also use a program called AddAWav for when I need to join (vs splitting) files.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:40:14 AM by ThePiedPiper »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
Audition 3.0 was free for a while but that link may have gone away. I like it as I think the multi tracking is more intuitive. It presents as a more mature interface but I haven't seen everything so it may very well be just dated.   :shrug:

The old Adobe link to access AA3.0 and Photoshop CS2 isn't accessible via the Wayback Machine anymore.

However, there is the following Adobe link below that appears to allow you to download AA3.0 (and others).  Serial numbers are available on the right column.  You must first click the 'Accept' box since the files are no longer supported by Adobe.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK#download-products
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline audBall

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
^ Click the "I Accept" box, then below click the language of choice.  Once you do that, an entire list of programs is generated, including Audition 3.0 and Photoshop CS2.

edit - I should state that I am still using Audition 3.0 from the old (inactive) link.  However, this newer link appears to offer the same applications. 

Let me know how it works out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:50:31 AM by audBall »
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
Audacity is free and have all basic features a sound editor needs.

Adobe is based on the old "Cool Edit"-software and is really good and professional sound editing software which have everything you need in one programme.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
Kind of a HiJack, but one thing I've found with Audition 3.0.1 is that if you ever  have a set of show tracks that you want to work as a single file again, there is an option under FILE to "Open Appended".  Be alert... that first 01 track will invariably be found somewhere after the file that gets inserted in the editing window. Sometimes the last file is "first" then the 01, other times it's a mess. Very frustrating to sort out. I see no way to teach it to do otherwise.

I don't use this tool that much so it's just a warning, not a prohibition towards Audition.

Good Luck

Just to "possibly" help clarify the above -

The option "Open Append" will add/append the new file you are opening to the end of the file or files you already have opened. Append as many files as you like.

You can then "Save As" a new file and all the files will be in the order you appended. Remember to tick the "Save Non Audio Information" box when doing your "Save As" otherwise you will lose all your track markers.

The confusion can arise when once you are done with your editing session and want to - once again - save all the tracks as individual files.

In order to save everything INDIVIDUALLY and in correct order, you need to add a track marker at the very beginning AND at the very end of your saved appended file.

Then go to the "Window > Marker List" dropdown menu item.
Select all your files - don't move anything around. The track markers you added at the end and beginning may look out of sequence but don't worry.
Click the "Merge Button"
Then click the "Save" button

Now you can choose where to save your files. Compose a File Name and choose to start the numbering at 1.

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
Audacity has some great functionality. In my opinion, Audition has a more "refined" interface.

Another benefit of Audition is the number of standard plugins that are included. Many of which are from Izotope.

Although I don't recall the Audacity functionality on this ability, I like the Audition "Mastering Rack". Here you can stack the various plugins and turn them on and off to hear how the gamut of the effects you are using affect the final sound. Once you are happy, you can "save" (although other programs say "render").

Over the last several months, I bought Izotope RX7 Standard and added the Ozone 8 Elements plugin. To my ears on my speakers, it seems that the Izotope programs sound a bit "cleaner".

While in the past I alternated between Audacity and Audition (depending on needs), these days I tend to use RX7 first and touch up with Audition (or vice versa depending on plugins needed) if necessary. The difference is that Audition has the "mastering rack" ability while with Izotope you have to render each manipulation before you move on to the next. (from what I've been reading, if you buy the full Izotope suite, you'd be able to approximate the mastering rack capability. However, I'm not studio recording - mixing instruments in separate tracks - all I need is post for a simple stereo live audience capture.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
... with Izotope you have to render each manipulation before you move on to the next. ...

Just open the module chain, the very first module, and add modules to your heart's content.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
For audio, Sonic Foundry Soundforge 6. Most of the rest could learn a lot from the intuitive interface, especially Wavelab and anything by Magix. Audacity - it's free for a reason.  Each to his own!

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
just wanted to add, and it may have already been touched on, that the Audition version found in the recent CC versions has a tool very similar to the one in Izotope called Sound Removal where you can select a sample (like a clap for instance) and it will go and remove all of them. Works very very well for getting rid of "woooooos" and claps and such. I was stoked to discover they had added that feature.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
For people using Audition, what do you find your general mixing process to be?
www.bnelive.net

SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid, Sub-Cardioid) > SP-SPSB-10 > Olympus LS-10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 07:42:05 AM »

Audition 3.0 was givin' away for FREE years ago by Adobe.  This happened when they did the major redesign and moved their products towards Cloud computing.  Many of us here jumped on that giveaway.  fyi

Offline morst

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »

Audition 3.0 was givin' away for FREE years ago by Adobe.  This happened when they did the major redesign and moved their products towards Cloud computing.  Many of us here jumped on that giveaway.  fyi

Yeah, I got the free photoshop. Was Audition ever free again? Photoshop was not, and the free one was old when they gave it away.

Offline audBall

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
Yeah, I got the free photoshop. Was Audition ever free again? Photoshop was not, and the free one was old when they gave it away.

It was never released again and technically wasn't 'free'.  The link in my post on the previous page has again expired.  The release of all the CS2 products was because Adobe was implementing their CC subscription services and was allowing those who had previously purchased CS2 products to maintain current use of those products since the CS2 activation server was no longer being supported.  However, see the Wayback Machine link below.  Click "Accept", then select your language of choice.  Audition 3.0 is listed amongst many others.

I should point out that Adobe's disclaimer states:

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181205083256/https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com