Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixing Multi-Track Recording (29 Tracks)  (Read 14675 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Mixing Multi-Track Recording (29 Tracks)
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
I was theorizing that maybe each mic might have picked up just enough from the other side to not sound like two different audiences.  I think I originally had them at L50 and R50 respectively, so I'll return them there unless you think there's an in-between that is just right.

How hard to pan will depend on the audience/ambient mic arrangement and how much common info those channels share, so best to just dial it in by ear in the mix.  If I have 3 recorded ambience type channels I'll hard pan the L/R ambience pair to keep elements of that very wide, then bring up just enough rear-facing center ambient mic to to tie it all together with the appropriate smooth blend across the center.  Most of the energy remains wide, because I find having some audience/ambience cues wider than anything else helps convey a more dimensional sense "there-ness".  Yet the overall perception should be of audience continuity across the soundstage.

With 2-channels of audience/ambience you need to find the right balance between super-wide and continuous-without-a-perceptible-hole-in-the-middle.  I suspect you can go wider than L50/R50 without perceiving a hole and would push it until you begin to notice hole then bring it back in just a bit from there.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
I finally reached the point of calling this "good enough".  Anyone interested can check it out here:

https://archive.org/details/skellogg2008-11-21.flac24

Thanks again to everybody who spent any amount of time giving advice, answering questions, and providing feedback along the way.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
Sounds very good here. Strong work!

Was just now jumping around to sample a bit of it, and while listening through the In Front of the World ballad where the audience and ambience contribution is very clear I came across his comment about how distracted audience conversation makes the band feel like dogshit.  Gold.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Was just now jumping around to sample a bit of it, and while listening through the In Front of the World ballad where the audience and ambience contribution is very clear I came across his comment about how distracted audience conversation makes the band feel like dogshit.  Gold.

Stephen has a history of not tolerating crowd noise during inappropriate times, or in any way that is distracting to him.  In fact, this show was my second time seeing them, having traveled all the way to Philadelphia from NE Ohio to do so.  My first show was the month before in Cleveland where a handful of people in the crowd triggered him to the point of him asking them to leave, offering to pay them to do so, and then offering anybody's money back who wanted to leave to escape the awkwardness that the show had turned into.  I became an instant fan, which prompted the trip to Philly, in which I was turned down for taping by the venue since the band was multi-tracking it, wishing for more than a decade to have that recording that I knew was just sitting on a hard drive somewhere, and then suddenly it appeared out of nowhere in my lap to mix.  It all worked out in the end, I guess.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
Right on. Cool to hear the back story.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 05:05:30 AM »
...  I became an instant fan, which prompted the trip to Philly, in which I was turned down for taping by the venue since the band was multi-tracking it, wishing for more than a decade to have that recording that I knew was just sitting on a hard drive somewhere, and then suddenly it appeared out of nowhere in my lap to mix.  It all worked out in the end, I guess.
Patience FOR THE WIN!
Great backstory. I'll download it and add to my library, maybe throw it on my phone to show up in the shuffle, so I can really compare it blind to other stuff I like.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com