Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USB Audio Interface Issue  (Read 1968 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
USB Audio Interface Issue
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
I hope I word this right, so bear with me. LOL.

When I transfer audio via USB to the PC the wav frequency analysis for both left and right sides are identical. Not mono, but more like a combination of both channels. It's like this on every USB audio interface I have tried. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a limitation of USB? When I transfer using the recorders line out, and bypass the USB method, I can see two totally different channels.

Any help on what this is?

UPDATE/Additional Comment:  To confuse things more, when I use the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile interface (via FireWire) the channels are not "identical" looking and you can see the differences between left/right audio. USB still looks like each channel is a combination of left + right.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:54:03 PM by ThePiedPiper »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: USB Audio Interface Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
Nothing to do with USB for sure

Just sounds like your channels aren't being panned.

Are you using cellphone headphones by chance...? (Like a TRRS jack)

They can do weird stuff if you don't have the right cable.  (although your recording should be unaffected)

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
Re: USB Audio Interface Issue
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
Just to clarify what you're doing:
You're recording live material via an external interface to your pc (unspecified application)?
When you use your M-audio Firewire box it's AOK & you get 2 separate channels.
When you use your (unspecified) USB box, the channels seem to be mixed - appear so on screen & in your h/phones.

If this is the case, I'd suspect that there's possibly some routing/mixing issue with the USB box.  Some of these (Looking @ you, Tascam) insist on mixing both input channels to mono unless you run some proprietary win/mac software to "unmix" them.

What USB boxes are you using & what DAW software?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com