Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05 - Best Settings  (Read 4499 times)

Offline concertphotodude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR-05 - Best Settings
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
Good day, good people!

I recently purchased the Tascam DR-05 to augment my passion for concert photography. As I have attended many shows where taping was absent and all that great music was lost to the ether, I figured it was time to invest in something so that I could document the audio alongside the visual. That said, I am about a week out from using this rig for the first time and wanted to see if anyone could give me the down and dirty details of what settings I should utilize. I have read a number of entries on Google, but it eventually becomes mind numbing. I will be using the internal mics until my CA-14s and battery box comes in so keep that in mind.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for all that tapers do!
jake

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
Re: Tascam DR-05 - Best Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »
Best of luck waiting for your Chris Church mics coming in the mail. There's a thread on here about people's experiences waiting for Chris to make their mics -- I have posted both positive and negative experiences and it's always good to have a larger sample size.

Do you have any specifics about which settings you are interested in hearing about for recommendations?
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Re: Tascam DR-05 - Best Settings
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
I use a Dr-05 for  >:D and I can say, without fear of contradiction, that the internal mics pretty much suck. I've only used them once, because it was in an outdoor amphitheater with security nearby so I was stuck using them. If that's all you have, then that's all you have, but definitely use pretty much any external mic if you can. If you haven't placed your Church order yet, there are other, faster, mic options that are just as good and similarly priced. Naiant and Sound Professionals come to mind.

Other than that, I love my Dr-05. The battery life is mind-blowing. I only change batteries out for the hell of it, not because they've run down. The Pelican 1030 micro case holds it perfectly, too.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com