Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Processing Mixpre6 multitrack recordings  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Processing Mixpre6 multitrack recordings
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
Sorry for asking a question that I'm sure has been covered but I've just started doing 4 track recordings with my MixPre6 and need to learn how to mix these down
I'm planning to more from Wave Editior/Triumph to Reaper on Mac as that seems to be a well regarded DAW.

Could someone tell me or point me to a place that tells me the process for changing the 4 tracks into a nice stereo matrix.

Cheers
Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Processing Mixpre6 multitrack recordings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 11:14:13 AM »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
A starting place - Use wave-agent to extract two stereo files (each set of microphones). Drag each into reaper and adjust the volume for each (and time align if necessary) within the mix.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
Oh OK cool
I didn't realise that it was that straight forward!!

Is there anything about getting it from two stereo tracks to one stereo output from reaper that is not as straight forward?

Thanks for the replies
Duncan
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
There are several ways to do things. My suggestion is to just set up two stereo tracks going into the master bus, and set the volume of one track relative to the other in the ultimate mix. Once you have a mix you like, you render it intoone stereo file. You could also create a left and right track for each set of microphones and mix the four tracks instead of two stereo tracks - you could pan channels as well as setting the volume of each of channel relative to the others. For many tracks, you can create other busses and send tracks to busses before they go into the master bus (ir all vocals into a bus). I've only done mixes of two sets of microphones, usually a SBD and on stage microphones. In this case, you also have to time adjust, which I do by nudging on of the stereo tracks relative to the other.

Create stereo tracks by using wave-agent to save tracks from the polyway into a file.

Drag stereo wav to the track srea on the left of the reaper screen

Set volume for tracks using the controls at the bottom - master track, track one and track two in this case

Open render dialog and make sure bitrate is what you want - in this case I recorded at 24 bit and am rendering to 24 bit

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
There are several ways to do things. My suggestion is to just set up two stereo tracks going into the master bus, and set the volume of one track relative to the other in the ultimate mix. Once you have a mix you like, you render it intoone stereo file. You could also create a left and right track for each set of microphones and mix the four tracks instead of two stereo tracks - you could pan channels as well as setting the volume of each of channel relative to the others. For many tracks, you can create other busses and send tracks to busses before they go into the master bus (ir all vocals into a bus). I've only done mixes of two sets of microphones, usually a SBD and on stage microphones. In this case, you also have to time adjust, which I do by nudging on of the stereo tracks relative to the other.

Create stereo tracks by using wave-agent to save tracks from the polyway into a file.

Drag stereo wav to the track srea on the left of the reaper screen

Set volume for tracks using the controls at the bottom - master track, track one and track two in this case

Open render dialog and make sure bitrate is what you want - in this case I recorded at 24 bit and am rendering to 24 bit

Thanks for this I've given it all a go and it all seems good
The last question I have is does Reaper automatically place the two left channels (from each Stereo track) to the left channel of the master and the right channels to the right master

Cheers
Duncan
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 06:38:33 PM »
This is what you need.

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wave-agent/

i wonder when they will be upgrading it to work with 32-bit float files
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »
"The last question I have is does Reaper automatically place the two left channels (from each Stereo track) to the left channel of the master and the right channels to the right master"

It never even occurred to me to question this. As far as I know it does. You can always create four tracks and pan them yourself.

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 05:33:23 PM »
"The last question I have is does Reaper automatically place the two left channels (from each Stereo track) to the left channel of the master and the right channels to the right master"

It never even occurred to me to question this. As far as I know it does. You can always create four tracks and pan them yourself.

I did a quick test and can confirm that Reaper does place the two left channels (from each Stereo track) to the left channel of the master and the right channels to the right master

Duncan
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
MixPre6 with some mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com