Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sources for an especially well shielded VGA cable or add-on shielding?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
At work we have an office in relative close proximity to a TIG welding machine, with the two separated only by an interior wall.  When the welding machine is in operation, EMI from it causes visual interference in the computer monitor and audible interference in the desk phone.  While not overly concerned about the phone interference, the visual interference on the monitor is a problem which needs to be addressed.

I've rigged up a test of additional shielding on the existing VGA cable, using heavy duty aluminum foil wrapped around the cable run, fully encapsulating it from computer to monitor with one end loosely grounded to the computer case with adhesive tape.  This arrangement successfully eliminates the visual interference on the monitor, yet is a temporary fix which is vaguely reminiscent of some sort of "frankenstein tin-foil dreadlock" or "tin-man intestine".  I'm looking for a permanent solution.

Searching online I've been unable to find a VGA cable which indicates improved shielding over standard-shielded VGA cables with integrated ferrites.  Anyone here have leads on finding something of this nature?  This option would be the prefered fix.

If I can't find anything, I may try some braided conductive cable-wrap and use that as a more suitable replacement for the temporary aluminum foil shielding over the existing VGA cable.  Here is some specifically targeting EMI shielding on the Techflex website- https://www.techflex.com/metal-shielding/flexo-shield
And here is Techflex's shielded heat-shrink, which might also conceivably do the job- https://cdn.techflex.com/assets/pdfs/catalog/h2c-h3c-h4c.pdf

Any one have experience with those products?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Sources for an especially well shielded VGA cable or add-on shielding?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
as cheap as monitors and vid cards are it may be more practical to upgrade to HDMI
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »
Could have the same issue with EMI/RFI, no?

Maybe I should just uses some nicer looking flexible tubing over the existing foil!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »
perhaps. im assuming a digital signal will be a lot more immune
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com