Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using the "Switch" app to convert file extension, changed other folders  (Read 4600 times)

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
I know next to nothing about post processing shows, just so you know...
I have (had) .aiff files (MacBook Air) in a folder for one particular show, that I wanted to convert to Flac and upload to my dropbox, in order to post to a band's Facebook page, so fans could d/l it (had pre approval from band, and they already had it). I downloaded the "Switch" app in order to convert the aiff files to flac. Don't think I have anything else to do this work. I use Toast Titanium 15 to burn to cd, which I still do... So, I added the files to Switch, chose the Output formula as .flac, and saved to a new desktop folder. That seemed to work fine, the new folder has the files as flac, although now with the Switch emblem, instead of the usual "audio", if that makes sense. I moved the files to my dropbox and uploaded to the bands fb page. But, the weird thing is that all my previously labelled "audio" files for a number of shows in a separate desktop folder, all have the Switch emblem now attached to them, instead of audio. Two other desktop folders with audio files were left unchanged as audio...

Am I making something out of nothing, for how the file appears now as Switch in my desktop folders, instead of audio? If it helps, here   are the shared dropbox files I uploaded to the bands fb page (reggae music): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2mrgamtn6o2tzt3/AAANqY95SfuRQNrsaroLMCV0a?dl=0
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Yeah, that’s just our Mac assuming Switch is now the default program for opening flac and aiff files. Pretty sure you can change that by right clicking > properties if it bugs you.

You should use xACT btw

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
Yeah, that’s just our Mac assuming Switch is now the default program for opening flac and aiff files. Pretty sure you can change that by right clicking > properties if it bugs you.

You should use xACT btw

right click on what? When I right click on one of those files, and go to "open with", Switch is an option, and like you thought, right after that (switch) it says (default). I don't see a properties option anywhere

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Select a FLAC file. Go to get info under the pull down file menu. When the wind opens, there will be an Open With triangle that tells you what program it wants to open the FLAC files with. Select the program you want and click Change All or Apply to All.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Select a FLAC file. Go to get info under the pull down file menu. When the wind opens, there will be an Open With triangle that tells you what program it wants to open the FLAC files with. Select the program you want and click Change All or Apply to All.
Looks like this in Mojave OS.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
Looks like this in Mojave OS.

Thanks Folks
I d/l xACT, and changed all, and defaulted to that program. I am on Sierra, lol - how many OS systems back is that? Guess I'll learn and play with correcting sbe's now, since I've never done that...

Offline morst

After Sierra, you have High Sierra, Mojave and now Catalina (I DO NOT ADVISE UPDATING TO CATALINA YET IF YOU CAN AVOID IT).
High Sierra is stopping its user support (current updates) this coming November 2020.

Sierra:

Support Ending November 30, 2019
In keeping with Apple's release cycle, macOS 10.12 Sierra will no longer be receiving security updates. Sierra was replaced by High Sierra 10.13, Mojave 10.14, and the newest Catalina 10.15. Our latest fully-supported operating system if macOS Mojave (10.14).

High Sierra:

"Support Ending November 30, 2020
In keeping with Apple's release cycle, macOS 10.13 High Sierra will no longer be receiving security updates as of November 2020. High Sierra was replaced by 10.14 Mojave, and the latest version,10.15 Catalina."

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
After Sierra, you have High Sierra, Mojave and now Catalina (I DO NOT ADVISE UPDATING TO CATALINA YET IF YOU CAN AVOID IT).
High Sierra is stopping its user support (current updates) this coming November 2020.

Sierra:

Support Ending November 30, 2019
In keeping with Apple's release cycle, macOS 10.12 Sierra will no longer be receiving security updates. Sierra was replaced by High Sierra 10.13, Mojave 10.14, and the newest Catalina 10.15. Our latest fully-supported operating system if macOS Mojave (10.14).

High Sierra:

"Support Ending November 30, 2020
In keeping with Apple's release cycle, macOS 10.13 High Sierra will no longer be receiving security updates as of November 2020. High Sierra was replaced by 10.14 Mojave, and the latest version,10.15 Catalina."

Thanks for this info. Guess I should contact local independent computer tech and have OS upgraded to Mojave.

Offline morst

Thanks for this info. Guess I should contact local independent computer tech and have OS upgraded to Mojave.
BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST! (Three or more copies is always best, so if one copy fails you still have a backup!)
It's pretty straightforward to let the machine update itself. You should not have to pay anyone.
Been a while since I had Sierra, but I think if you check the App Store in the top left apple menu, it should offer to let you update. If not, then check the system preference control panel for an option called Software Update.
Message me if you need help, or post particular questions here (or in a different thread) and I'll help you figure it out.

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST! (Three or more copies is always best, so if one copy fails you still have a backup!)
It's pretty straightforward to let the machine update itself. You should not have to pay anyone.
Been a while since I had Sierra, but I think if you check the App Store in the top left apple menu, it should offer to let you update. If not, then check the system preference control panel for an option called Software Update.
Message me if you need help, or post particular questions here (or in a different thread) and I'll help you figure it out.

I get daily reminders to update the OS...
I don't have anything backed up... what do you recommend backing up to? An external hard drive?

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Using the "Switch" app to convert file extension, changed other folders
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »
You may have to search around a little bit to find a not-catalina installer though. I think you can only do the most recent OS through the app store

Offline morst

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 09:35:44 PM »
I don't have anything backed up... what do you recommend backing up to? An external hard drive?
Yes. But I recommend two or three desktop sized external drives. If you want to do a clean install (you probably don't) then you'll need to be certain that you have everything stored safely, and that means one that's the "master" and then a bare minimum of one backup.
External hard drives are cheapest these days at the 8tb size, with a desktop model priced around $150 on sale as often as not.
If you really don't need that much storage and won't in the fairly near future, 4TB drives should not cost much more than $100 each.
USB3 is the standard for most of the new ones. It's compatible if you have older USB but it will run at the speed of the interface.

Some older Macs won't even accept the newest OS. That depends on the era of the machine. You can find out what your machine is capable of here
https://everymac.com

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:26 PM »
I always like to stay 2 or 3 operating systems behind. While its less secure, there are fewer bugs wherein you lose all your work or a file or program is no longer supported until you spend a bunch of $ or worse, time, learning something new all over again.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline morst

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
I always like to stay 2 or 3 operating systems behind. While its less secure, there are fewer bugs wherein you lose all your work or a file or program is no longer supported until you spend a bunch of $ or worse, time, learning something new all over again.
Very good point. The limiting factor for me is whether the OS is still supported.
So Taosmay, it would be very reasonable to begin backing up your stuff NOW, but to wait on the OS upgrade until this fall.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »
You may have to search around a little bit to find a not-catalina installer though. I think you can only do the most recent OS through the app store

Mojave installer via the app store:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »

3 backup strategy, a minimum:
1. time machine local backup
2. regular cloning of startup disc, hand off to friend or relative in town
3. automated online backup; I prefer backblaze

Anything less = no backup
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline morst

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 11:32:54 PM »
3 backup strategy, a minimum:
1. time machine local backup
2. regular cloning of startup disc, hand off to friend or relative in town
3. automated online backup; I prefer backblaze
Anything less = no backup
Many ways to skin a cat, but this is very solid advice. ^^^
I'll add to #2, that you can also keep offsite backups in a storage unit or safety deposit box, and if you have friends or relatives out of town, that might be a good idea if your locality is one where there are tornados, forest/wild fires, or earthquakes.
I personally don't love the paid cloud options so I don't use them. But as remote sync goes, you could do it for free as I saw one member here did. He had set up a backup drive at a relative's house in person, so it would sync overnight with his main drive at his home. That would be extremely practical if there were a simple turnkey solution which did it.
 :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com