Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are my online shopping options of windscreens/dead rats these days?  (Read 5851 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Great thread thanks I just picked up the 3cm for my TF-5 mics. I was astounded by how much wind got through the Røde brand rats my first use with them  ::) Fortunately it was only vocal and guitar because I had to roll off a ton of low end. I rarely tape outdoors so I can’t justify the Rycote Super Softies; hopefully these will get close enough.

Should the mic be inserted to bottom out in the inner foam or left a little shy?

-james

I had Rode WS8 windscreens before the Movo's, and the Rode's did NOT perform well for me.

Insert the mics enough that the rubber ring seals well past the capsule vents (assuming you are using directional mics). Maybe don't quite bottom out the front of the capsule into the foam, but I think only a slight gap is needed.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)

Get leaks of wind burst at shows sometimes using the supplied DPA wind screens even with home made Dead Rats. Seems like the supplied DPA wind screens can take maybe 10-15 MPH before the wind affects the mics sound. With the supplied DPA wind screens and my Home made dead rats can take up to 30-35 MPH though they sometimes will have wind leak through the dead rats and affect the mics sound.

Is the general consensus that you do or don't need "Dead rats" over the Movo to protect the mics from the wind?
If you need "dead rats" over the Movo - Where do you buy them?

You definitely do not need any furry stuff on top of the ballistic nylon WSTs. Also, the rubber ring at the back seals very tightly, so you will not have leaks. I had these out recording marching band shows high up, and for a couple of shows the gusts were certainly in the 30-40 mph range. They handled it very well.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Get leaks of wind burst at shows sometimes using the supplied DPA wind screens even with home made Dead Rats. Seems like the supplied DPA wind screens can take maybe 10-15 MPH before the wind affects the mics sound. With the supplied DPA wind screens and my Home made dead rats can take up to 30-35 MPH though they sometimes will have wind leak through the dead rats and affect the mics sound.

Is the general consensus that you do or don't need "Dead rats" over the Movo to protect the mics from the wind?
If you need "dead rats" over the Movo - Where do you buy them?

You definitely do not need any furry stuff on top of the ballistic nylon WSTs. Also, the rubber ring at the back seals very tightly, so you will not have leaks. I had these out recording marching band shows high up, and for a couple of shows the gusts were certainly in the 30-40 mph range. They handled it very well.

Thank you Volt. Was hoping someone would chime in about it. Know gordon did. Thanks for the confirmation about the mics. Ordered 4 movo for my mics and should be here at the end of the week.

Thanks again.

-p
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11

Another vote for the Movo WST50 ballistic nylon screens. If they work outside on the Mississippi River in NOLA they should work just about anywhere. Never had a prob with them as is no fur.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Bought 4 of the movo ballistic nylon Windscreens and they arrived friday. They are bigger then I thought they would be and beefy. For ORTF or NOS they would work though with XY not sure if the windscreen would push the mics down. With the thickness of the movo its almost like the DPA supplied Wind screen with a material over that almost as thick as a pair with dead rats. The 3 CM hole is quite tight on the DPA402X. Looks good so far. The wind will be the test.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: What are my online shopping options of windscreens/dead rats these days?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 06:46:18 PM »
Work well with Schoeps actives. Windy days at Rox go great.
Pic from 2 wknds ago, Los Lobos in West Marin. Mine are on the left:
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2021, 10:22:43 PM »
Bought 4 of the movo ballistic nylon Windscreens and they arrived friday. They are bigger then I thought they would be and beefy. For ORTF or NOS they would work though with XY not sure if the windscreen would push the mics down. With the thickness of the movo its almost like the DPA supplied Wind screen with a material over that almost as thick as a pair with dead rats. The 3 CM hole is quite tight on the DPA402X. Looks good so far. The wind will be the test.
Just got my pair of WST50s last week but have not used them yet. Got them for my full body Nak CM100/300 series and same sized Teac and Tascam clones. My first thought after opening the package was the same as yours my friend, damn they are big. And I'm almost positive that an XY pattern is out of the question.

What I'm wondering now is that since they're so much deeper than I assumed, would I insert the mic all the way into the Movo, or just enough to cover the capsule portion? Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 10:55:16 PM »
What I'm wondering now is that since they're so much deeper than I assumed, would I insert the mic all the way into the Movo, or just enough to cover the capsule portion? Any thoughts appreciated.

Insert the mics enough that the rubber ring seals well past the capsule vents (assuming you are using directional mics). Maybe don't quite bottom out the front of the capsule into the foam, but I think only a slight gap is needed.

^^I followed the above this weekend for Daze Between, 6 hours and no issues. Wasn't particularly windy but very happy with the seal they make around the mics and performance so far.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2021, 11:20:58 PM »

^^I followed the above this weekend for Daze Between, 6 hours and no issues. Wasn't particularly windy but very happy with the seal they make around the mics and performance so far.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I should have read the entire thread first!  ::)

Offline bersey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »
Can anyone recommend dead rats for Church Audio CA-11s??  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com