Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann KK 14 Miniature Clip Mic System  (Read 21298 times)

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Neumann KK 14 Miniature Clip Mic System
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2022, 08:55:53 PM »
this seems well-built and will be the next one i try. 6.5 feet so it can actually go up over my head and reach to the bottom of my pants pocket unlike the 4' cable i previously tried

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30362

the good thing about most mmc-x cables is they are built with enthusiasts in mind so at least they have twisted pairs/oxygen free/the proper amount of snake oil, so at least there is some standard vs the super cheap off-the-shelf $1 mini to mini patch cords where the molded end eventually craps out on you

this doesnt really solve the microdot connection issue, microdot to mmc-x cables are over $40 a pop. cheaper to build ones with dedicated fixed microdot cables since those cable ends will need dedicated circuitry to work with the d:vice anyway
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 09:33:04 PM by mountainhop »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2022, 08:46:53 AM »
Excellent!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2022, 10:59:37 AM »
success on friday night. got the parts just in time on thursday to build the field-worthy version. got it dialed in where i was able to build a half-dozen of the center spring pin assemblies (by far the trickiest part)  in a few hours and bat 1000 on location to the tiny center pad on the capsule. so i built out one complete pair using mmc-x connectors, these worked splendidly with an off-the-shelf mmc-x headphone cable (albeit a tad short), Like most IEMs, when properly seated it is a robust connection.

i ran KK14>church ugly 9V bat box>A10 successfully. i ran without the bat box for the opening DJ set which was reasonably loud (albeit maybe a tad shy of the headliner volume) with no ill effects. ill try to do more tests sans bat box in an extreme stack environment in the future

so the million-dollar question: how do they sound? I would say i was pleased with their perfomance but technical limitations prevent a straight apples-to-apples with the 4011s i hoped to compare them to. namely:

1. i boned it and the 4015s were still in my hat from the last gig so id be comparing subcards with cards

im not sure i will post this show publicly, so if you want samples, message me and ill link you to a 4ch polywav with the two sources

:clapping:

Thanks for the testing. 

I'll send you a PM so that I can listen to the 4ch polywav with the two sources.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2022, 12:27:32 AM »
all set up for show tomorrow (pardon the sloppy hot glue job)

not ideal spacing but should be best comp yet as both pairs will be running into d:vices

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:30:02 AM by mountainhop »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2022, 09:33:00 AM »
all set up for show tomorrow (pardon the sloppy hot glue job)

not ideal spacing but should be best comp yet as both pairs will be running into d:vices

:clapping:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2022, 11:47:09 PM »
LOL @ hot melt glue.

perfect
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2022, 10:28:43 PM »
ok time for the weirdest set of comp files ever

included are samples of the raw files as recorded (normalized to -20dB RMS), as well as attempts using izotope 10's 'match EQ feature' to make them sound like each other, at 50% and 100% settings

note i made no attempt to make the recordings sound as good as i could (feel free to if you care), just a simple mic to mic comp, of two very different-sounding mics

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LlRhv-GAs-jdldCo9F53hXTm-K96eGXD/view?usp=sharing

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2022, 07:23:30 PM »
added file "ch1-2-4011-ch3-4-kk14.wav" which is a medley of different dynamic sections including some "bass bombs", drum solos and quieter guitar parts, better than the randomly chosen sample in the EQ files which is a little loud/chaotic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12UAmkFFC_IzcK0R-cP6Vze4KZZ1dyIag/view?usp=sharing

this is a polywav but note the sources are not necessarily perfectly time-aligned, a bit of drift towards the end
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 08:39:02 PM by mountainhop »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2022, 08:54:02 AM »
ok time for the weirdest set of comp files ever

included are samples of the raw files as recorded (normalized to -20dB RMS), as well as attempts using izotope 10's 'match EQ feature' to make them sound like each other, at 50% and 100% settings

note i made no attempt to make the recordings sound as good as i could (feel free to if you care), just a simple mic to mic comp, of two very different-sounding mics

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LlRhv-GAs-jdldCo9F53hXTm-K96eGXD/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for this.  Good methodology I think and very informative to compare both raw files and the match EQ'd versions.  I've not listened to the polywav version yet.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2022, 09:08:19 AM »
try as i might they sound nothing alike.

i do think the kk14s would kick ass in an OMT with an omni or two

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:05 AM »
I found it especially interesting to compare the differences in the mid and high frequency range of the match-EQ'd versions.
Granted some of the difference there may be attributable to the mounting differences.

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2022, 10:13:25 AM »
I found it especially interesting to compare the differences in the mid and high frequency range of the match-EQ'd versions.
Granted some of the difference there may be attributable to the mounting differences.

i have open-taping theater shows with a bigger PA this weekend. will try to stand mount in identical configurations. since these will be section tapes i will prob do KK14+4011+4018 into the F6. 4011+4018 always bats 1000 from the section and we get a comp as well. directionality aside the kk14s kinda sound more like the 4018 tbh. (less bottom end)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2022, 07:40:02 AM »
These things are so small
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2022, 09:21:27 AM »
These things are so small

welcome to team tiny neumann!

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
they're gonna make great earbuds for wearing to concerts :)
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com