Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfer SMS messages and call history from one android phone to another  (Read 4985 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Not taping related, but just checking to see if anyone has any suggestions. I just upgraded from a Google Pixel 3a to a 4a. Connected the two and did the data transfer. It copied everything but my SMS test messages and call history.

Any idea how to transfer? Google's website is useless. There are a slew of third party apps that claim to do this, but I have no idea which ones are worth a crap.

Or should I bite the bullet and take it to a repair shop and have them do it?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Transfer SMS messages and call history from one android phone to another
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 10:13:01 AM »
When I upgraded to my 4a, I used the cable included to connect to my old phone and followed the instructions. Everything, including SMS, came over. This is how mine worked:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7129955?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhat-copies-during-setup%2Ccopy-data-from-your-old-phone-with-a-cable-recommended

Maybe reset it and start fresh?

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:03 AM »
When I upgraded to my 4a, I used the cable included to connect to my old phone and followed the instructions. Everything, including SMS, came over. This is how mine worked:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7129955?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhat-copies-during-setup%2Ccopy-data-from-your-old-phone-with-a-cable-recommended

Maybe reset it and start fresh?

Tried that 3 times last night. I got everything BUT the SMS and call history. They are backed up to my Google drive account. Trying to figure out how to restore and see if that works
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
You need the app SMS Backup and Restore
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »

Rory, i've seen that app suggested. Do you have any idea if I have to purchase a copy for both phones?

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 11:05:20 AM »
Fork Google. I did a text chat with them. My shit is backed up to my google drive account. I asked them how to restore from the backup. I got this:

Sorry to inform you but this feature is not yet available at the moment and we are still working on this. For now, you can still have the option to save it in other third-party apps like Whatsapp, etc.
Mardy · 10:56 AM

Let me get this straight. I'm paying for google drive, my data is backed up to google drive but there is no way to restore from my backup?
10:58 AM

I understand your frustration but there is no way to view it for now. We are still working on this feature as you are not the only one to request on this.To reset your phone would be an option, but I would not advise it as that will still have no assurance as to what information will be loaded.
Mardy · 11:02 AM

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 11:20:15 AM »

Rory, i've seen that app suggested. Do you have any idea if I have to purchase a copy for both phones?

it's free. it works. do it and move on to your next challenge.

ETA: I've used this on several phone transfers as well as a weekly backup to my google drive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:22:34 AM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 11:47:19 AM »

it's free. it works. do it and move on to your next challenge.

ETA: I've used this on several phone transfers as well as a weekly backup to my google drive.

Got it. I think I was looking at the "pro" version which is like $5. I got a new 4a for my significant other also, so that would be 20 bucks total. I'm a cheap ass.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
I think the "pro" version removes ads. No need. Free version is fully functional.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
Installed and ran SMS Backup and Restore last night. Worked like a charm. Simple and intuitive.

What's really weird is when I did the initial setup on a new Pixel 4a, the text and phone logs wouldn't transfer from a Pixel 3a. But, during the initial setup on another 4a, the text and phone logs transferred from a Samsung A8+ without a hitch.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »
Installed and ran SMS Backup and Restore last night. Worked like a charm. Simple and intuitive.

What's really weird is when I did the initial setup on a new Pixel 4a, the text and phone logs wouldn't transfer from a Pixel 3a. But, during the initial setup on another 4a, the text and phone logs transferred from a Samsung A8+ without a hitch.
Yeah, I should have said in my first reply that I was transferring from a Moto. WTF could be the issue going from Pixel to Pixel? So strange…

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 11:43:01 AM »
Very strange. She went from a Pixel 3a to the Samsung several months ago and the info didn't transfer. But going from the Samsung > Pixel it worked fine.

Must have something to do with the Pixel that the data is being transferred FROM.

I took a tip from Vanark and left the app on the phone set to back up once a week to my Google Drive. At least if something happens in the future, I'll have a back up I can actually restore from.

Not a big fan of putting money in Google Corp's pocket, but I do love having the most updated version of Android without all the bloatware/proprietary bullshit the phone manufacturers load up on their products. And a damn fine camera without breaking the bank. 

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »
One thing that the app did  - Messenger has a spam folder that suspected spam messages go into. I'm bad about not cleaning it out. When it restored, all those unread messages showed up in the regular feed. Easy enough to delete them, and I'd rather have crap that I don't need opposed to not having messages that I do need.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »
One thing that the app did  - Messenger has a spam folder that suspected spam messages go into. I'm bad about not cleaning it out. When it restored, all those unread messages showed up in the regular feed. Easy enough to delete them, and I'd rather have crap that I don't need opposed to not having messages that I do need.

I noticed this when moving from my 4a to my 6.  Blocked calls as well. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 09:38:31 AM »

I noticed this when moving from my 4a to my 6.  Blocked calls as well.

6? Mr. Fancy Pants lol. I'll upgrade to 6 about the time 10 comes out :smash:

I'm still plenty steamed that even though the phone was backing up to Drive there is no mechanism to restore. WTF?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com