Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic suggestion for DR-40x  (Read 2630 times)

Offline renedebos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic suggestion for DR-40x
« on: March 17, 2022, 02:08:34 AM »
I have access to a TASCAM DR40X and want to record some of my friends that play in local bands around town. No stealth needed as im likely plopping the recorder on a table or shelf somewhere.

Does a stereo condenser mic make sense.. something simple like a TASCAM TM-ST1 or am I way off base?

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Mic suggestion for DR-40x
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 10:49:02 PM »
Budget?
Type of music? 
Size of venues?

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline renedebos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 12:45:13 AM »
$300
Amplified acoustic instruments.
Small bars

Offline seethreepo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 05:43:44 PM »
https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-CMC-4U-PHANTOM/

I think these would suit you well   or look around the same site at other Audio Technica offerings.  I've used them for hundreds of  recordings and never been disappointed in something because of the mics.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »
The Audio-technica AT853 with 4.7k modification is a great very small mic which often shows up in the Yard Sale here. I really enjoy mine. If the shows are not super loud you probably don't need the 4.7k mod.

If you can (or want to) go a little bit larger in size, Line Audio's CM4 wide cardioid mics are fantastic. Look up the reviews and discussions on the internet. There is no shortage of rave reviews from tapers and studio engineers alike. I have never seen a used pair come up for sale because no one seems to want to part with them after they buy them.  At today's exchange rates they are about 250 USD plus shipping. Check out: http://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:06:40 PM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:24:32 PM »
+1 for the line audio mics - they are by far the best bang for the buck mics on the market.  I have used them as spot mics in chamber orchestra sessions, and they blend in completely smoothly with my schoeps.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 10:59:58 PM »
+1 again for CM4s.  They are the best value mics on the market.  However, they will not be available until April.  If you are seriously interested in these mics it behooves you to start the conversation with NoHype now as they are pretty much on a pre-order basis.

The AT853 suggestion is a good one, most likely is the best thing you can find for that budget, and should be considered.  SoundPros are a great, reliable company to work with and will answer any questions you have if you reach out to them.

If you feel like opening your budget by a couple hundred, se Electronics se8 stereo pairs are starting to get more positive reviews.  Chinese.  Good reviews, yet not really utilized by many tapers here so ymmv.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline renedebos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 02:15:17 AM »
Thank you all for the replies… my head is spinning (in a good way) and it feels like I’m going down a rabbit hole  ;D

Two questions :

- this 4.7K modification… how/where/who?

- for a more standard type concert with electric guitar etc (small bars or venues… would the above mentioned mics work or is something else needed for that? Or would the mod basically take care of that issue?

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
There are multiple threads here about using a 4.7k resistor to allow the mics to be less sensitive and therefore be able to handle really loud shows without distorting. I personally do not understand the details. I believe sound professionals perform the modification on their version of the 853 (as an up charge). They call it the low sensitivity version, or something like that.

My AT853 has the mod built into the y-cable adaptor which goes from the two mini XLR ends of the mics to a stereo mini plug (3.5mm).

There are a few members who do this mod quite frequently and sell the result in the yard sale.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 01:32:53 PM »
I will echo the choices above. Also consider the AT853Rx, which you can run off phantom power from the recorder. An used pair of AT3031s is also another option for cardiods.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline tjj5036

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 02:41:11 PM »
+1 to the SP-CMC-4U and the 4.7K mod. If you go to the SP site you can get the 4.7 mod by selecting "Low Sensitivity" under the Sensitivity Option: https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-CMC-4U/ . I'd recommend getting a battery box for those as well, either a SP-SPSB-10 or SP-SPSB-11. The two combined should fit your budget.
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »
Why should he be getting the 4.7K mod and a battery box when he's using a deck that has phantom power?
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline tjj5036

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 08:03:43 PM »
Why should he be getting the 4.7K mod and a battery box when he's using a deck that has phantom power?

Whoops, I misread the original ask. You’re totally right!
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline renedebos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 06:54:54 PM »
Appreciate the comments/replies.

1) Following up on the last comment/post : I understand I do not need a battery box as the DR-40X will feed phantom power to the mics (SP-CMC-4U-PHANTOM seems to be a good fit for my needs). However I read/interpreted the last post as the 4.7Khz mod is *ALSO* not needed when phantom power feeds these mics. Is that correct? I ask because the low-sensitivity option is not available for the SP-CMC-4U-PHANTOM

2) How do people clamp or position these mics when they are on a table or ledge in the venue? Are there certain gadgets/contraption people use? Anyway to point me in the right direction?

Again, thank you for the comments and the knowledge on this forum... it's been a rabbit hole but a fun one.

Offline prepschoolalumniblues

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Scents and subtle sounds
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 02:18:02 AM »

1) Following up on the last comment/post : I understand I do not need a battery box as the DR-40X will feed phantom power to the mics (SP-CMC-4U-PHANTOM seems to be a good fit for my needs). However I read/interpreted the last post as the 4.7Khz mod is *ALSO* not needed when phantom power feeds these mics. Is that correct? I ask because the low-sensitivity option is not available for the SP-CMC-4U-PHANTOM

2) How do people clamp or position these mics when they are on a table or ledge in the venue? Are there certain gadgets/contraption people use? Anyway to point me in the right direction?

Again, thank you for the comments and the knowledge on this forum... it's been a rabbit hole but a fun one.

You’re right, that mod is only for plug-in power — not for XLR. You want that Phantom model from SP that you noted.

A great mounting solution would be to use the custom mounts from SRS plus a shockmount: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/srsrecordingservices?section=Audio+Technica+AT853&sort=

Screw the shockmount onto a clamp, a Gorillapod, or a mic stand and you’re good to go!
Oktava MK-012 > Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Plus Mod)
AT853 > Marantz PMD620MKII (Oade Concert Mod)

Online hedfro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 05:06:57 PM »

The xlr balanced version (Phantom) is the best option for high SPL. You don’t need the low sensitivity mod.
Tascam DR-40X, Tascam DR-2D, Roland R-07.
CA-14 Cards (4.7), SP-CMC-4U-Phantom, SP-CMC-4U (4.7) (AT 853 O, C), Sennheiser ME-104, Sennheiser ME-102.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com