Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable management  (Read 7557 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cable management
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:07:52 PM »
So when tech flex or spaced out small pieces of shrink wrap isn't an option for tidying up 12 - 15 feet of cable, what else? I hate zip ties and Velcro straps :shrug:

Offline wvmaine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
Re: Cable management
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 07:36:51 PM »
I used electrical tape at small intervals a long time ago and it worked fine. Very secure, flexible and was easy to remove.  This worked great when I was hanging my mics at a local club.  I was using two 20 ft xlr. Eventually moved on to a custom gakcable two channel snake.
Mics: Neumann SKM 184, AKG C1000
Pre Amps: Naiant Big Box & Little Box, Blue Tube DP
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4n, Zoom F4

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 07:50:44 PM »
I couldn't deal with the cables anymore so am using an 8 channel snake now.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 09:42:45 AM »
Why not techflex?  It comes in a couple different basic forms- 1) The standard seamless weave type, feed the cables in from one end, out the other; 2) The split down its full length type, into which the cables are fed in from the side, which relies on hoop-springiness to wrap itself closed with some overlap.

The first is more permanent, but can be re-rigged if needed.  I use that to bundle 8 channels of individual microphone cables into a single snake, fixing the ends with velcro ties instead of heatshrink so I can re-configure as necessary (at home, not at the gig).  A larger diameter that is bit loose is way easier to thread than a smaller diameter that is a bit tight.

The second may be better if you intend to re-rig frequently, or install it in place without disconnection.  I've not used it myself, nor sure of how easy or difficult it is to add or remove a cable.  It's probably a bit stiffer since it wraps over itself.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:44:21 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »
There are also balistic nylon (actually polyester I assume) fabric covers that wrap around the bundle and are secured with a long thin strip of velcro sewn along the full length of the snake.  Cable entry from the side again, but probably easier to reconfigure as needed at the venue since the fabric cover won't try to spring shut while inserting a cable.  Techflex makes those too I think.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
U can't use regular tech flex because I can't remove the coupler ends of the active cable (SKM140 cables) and Ted would rather not do it either. I'm not sure the split tech flex coils easily.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 10:01:33 AM »
I wonder how flexible the side-entry techflex is myself.  Probably worth a try.  The side-entry velcro-closure fabric bundle covers might be more flexible, but may be likely to bunch and wrinkle when coiled as the velcro side will be thicker and more stiff.  Smallest diameter for that type is around one inch as I recall.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:37:54 AM »
Here's the two things that work best for me, and recent example of both together-

The first is standard techflex of a larger diameter through which the connectors will fit.  It may not snug down fully tight, but in my experience a loose fit is way better and easier to manage than taping or tying off bundled cables at intervals.  The techflex I use on my 8-channel snake bundle is large enough to fit XLRs through. Its a bit of a hassle to thread them through, but doable - if I were re-rigging this more frequently I'd use the next larger size to make it easier to get the XLR's through and live with a little looseness, but this way it snugs down tight on the cables and coils really nicely. 

The second option I use with standard microphone cables is to loosely braid the cables together.

Below are a couple crappy photos of two multichannel rigs on the same stand I ran recently, using both methods.  The rig on top is the 8 channel setup using a techflexed bundle of small diameter cables - that's the one I can squeeze 2 or 3 XLRs through in addition to 6 or 7 microdot terminated cables.  Actually, there are 9 cables running through there, with one chopped XLR not in use.  The lower rig with the dead rats is a four channel setup using four standard-diameter individual microphone cables braided together.

In both photos, both bundles run up the stand.  Kind of hard to see, but in the first photo both are tied off with a velcro tie at the top.  In the second only the braided bundle is visible, the techflexed bundle is hidden by the stand (btw, that's Spyder9's stand supporting his two rigs to the left).  There is no way I could manage this many cables otherwise.  This was a two night run.  First night I ran the four cables for the lower rig individually.  Second night I braided them ahead of time and it made setup and breakdown much easier and faster, keeping the cables easily managed and tangle-free.  I loosely coiled the braided bundle for transport as it doesn't coil as tightly and smoothly as the techflexed bundle.

If you are braiding just two cables, you can add a rope line as the 3rd element to make a braid, which can be smaller in diameter than the microphone cables.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:54:08 AM by Gutbucket »

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »
If including just two or three cables rather than four, the braid method will be easier and more streamlined.  Worked great above, but the techflexed bundle which includes more than twice as many smaller cables is smaller in diameter, smoother and more snag-free, and coils into about a 10 inch diameter.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 06:29:21 PM »
I struggle to work with Techflex when making snake cables that have side-exit drilled XLRs. I am talking about premade bulk snake cable, specifically this.

Next time I make such a cable, I am going to cover the individual connectors of the fanout with gutted 550 paracord. I have a bunch of it lying around, it's the right dimension, and it is certainly durable.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 07:28:26 PM »
^Should work.  The weave is essentially similar. It seems its just the material it is made from that is different for the most part - a softer polyester fiber or whatever instead of the stiffer techflex plastic fibers.  I've some techflex that I've yet to use which is marketed specifically for "quiet" situations (makes less rubbing noise) also useful for things like body harnesses because it is more comfortable against skin.  It has a softer "hand" to it that is slightly fuzzy, more of like somewhat worn rope line sheathing.  I think the softer fuzzy fibers are included along with the standard hard plastic fibers in the weave, retained for strength.

Another interesting techflex features a metallic conductive weave, which can serve as a shield.  I've been meaning to get some of that in the smallest size to rework some miniature DPA cables where the jacket has failed and the screen seems about to fail in places (or is broken entirely) yet the reinforced center conductor is in good shape and the mics are still working fine (if signal across the broken shield/ground is restored).  Thinking a layer of that (maybe soldered each end for the ones with failed shields in between) with a layer of the quiet stuff over it as jacket may make for a second life.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:30:10 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 08:43:40 PM »
Look into “Coban” which is a rubbery bandage which only clings to itself. You can wrap this around the cables every few feet and it will hold well yet also come off easily. It is only temporary because the rubbery material will dry out after a few weeks and no longer cling to itself. The original was marketed by 3M but the generic ones on Amazon are much cheaper and also come in different colors such as black.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 06:48:37 AM »
I am talking about premade bulk snake cable, specifically this.
Looking to Techflex some new cables I am about to buy, found this here and ordered these.  I generally run 4 channel and my cabling can be an adventure some nights.  Hopefully these will save me a little time.  Still debating whether to Techflex these, but this is a better choice for me for cable management than 4 separate xlrs.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 12:20:50 PM »
Side entry Techflex for the SKM active cables coils fine.  I used it on my set for a long time.  I used the 1/4" F6 TECHFLEX
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline ts

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
Side entry Techflex for the SKM active cables coils fine.  I used it on my set for a long time.  I used the 1/4" F6 TECHFLEX

Nice! I was thinking of trying this but wasn't sure on size. So 1/4 in is good? Snug fit? Does it come with ends to secure it from unraveling? I guess I would order a 25 foot section.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com