Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Update umbrella time  (Read 5753 times)

Offline adamz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Update umbrella time
« on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:10 PM »
So I have a "big" umbrella, like normal size for a human.
Searched enough and am asking for tips where to find the small 12-14 inch diameter umbrellas to cover mics without taking up 2.5 feet of airspace around them. Guys at Apple Farm last summer had great small umbrellas. I have small umbrella envy... ???
If I get one, too, it won't rain so I definitely need one..
The posts here is from 2003..
AZ

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Update umbrella time
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:27:47 AM »
Ask ted of gakables. Search his handle, I do not know it offhand.
HE used to sell those umbrellas with stand mount adapters on the bottom.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 11:58:02 AM »
Ask ted of gakables. Search his handle, I do not know it offhand.
HE used to sell those umbrellas with stand mount adapters on the bottom.

It has been quite a few years since he sold them. He no longer has any.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 12:00:47 PM »
Yep, Ted tiny umbrella man.

If he doesn't have them and you can't otherwise find them, here's an idea I've had stowed away in a dusty back corner of my head for years for a relatively easy to make DIY alternative option:

If 10-3/4" diameter is large enough for sufficient coverage, you can adapt a Ultimate-Frisbee sized flying disk (because it's generally the largest standard diameter frisbee) by drilling/cutting a small hole in center to attach threaded rod secured with wing-nut on top, other end of threaded rod attaches to mic-bar or light stand top thread/spigot adapter.  Even simpler- if you clamp your mics to the stand rather than attaching them at the top, you won't even need the threaded rod. 

Cool options:
1) You can offset the hole instead of placing it in the center to provide more overhang toward the front if that helps center the mics beneath the 10-3/4" diameter disk.
2) Can easily throw a rag, washcloth, or better- a circle of open cell filter material on top (also secured by the wingnut) to break up droplet impact and help quiet rain noise.
3) Could insert something acoustically absorbent on the underside to further reduce of rain impact noise from above and reflection of sound from beneath.
4) Still works as Frisbee (as long as options 2 & 3 aren't permanently attached) when its beautiful out and the sun is shining!

https://usaultimate.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Disc-Technical-Drawing.pdf
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 12:03:34 PM »
Example of the filter material mentioned in 2) above, that disperses droplet impact energy without getting waterlogged and heavy.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
I use as small a collapsible umbrella I can find - the kind you put in a briefcase or backpack. I hack off the handle and put the umbrella shaft into a windtech C clamp. Some models I need to compress a bit. The good part is it is small when collapsed and easily fits in my gear bag for those days where it might be needed. I also tend to just attach it when I'm outdoors but don't expand it until I need it.

To be honest, I'm not sure I want to run smaller than I am. It defeats the purpose as the rain generally does not come straight down. I'd rather run with a garbage bag over the mics than a smaller umbrella.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:43:04 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »
Cheap versions of those at Dollar Tree.  I keep a few in the recording box. Windtech clamp works well, and offsets center slightly.
Another option is sun umbrellas intended to attach to baby strollers.

One key for windy angled rain protection with any of these options is keeping them low, with the mics just peaking out from under the lip.

I was working on hydrophobic treatments for the windscreens with a shingle attached on the top last summer, but didn't get all the way there yet. The intent was a way of protecting each mic of a spaced array that is too large for a single umbrella, avoiding the need for an array of tiny umbrellas.

Mike Grace's tiny umbrella array-

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »
^ I've long been wondered where the heck he found those!

Offline mgtaper

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 09:24:28 PM »
I ordered 3 of these a few months ago. https://www.saraglove.com/collections/clear-umbrellas/products/kids-clear-plastic-bubble-dome-rain-umbrellas?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtvqVBhCVARIsAFUxcRtDP9LZBrIw0dNQ1VIl3xENOQ9M5YtCFARXK_YjLk_ye5SIhxVUiVAaAgI3EALw_wcB

You need to be careful when opening these up that the metal rods are not tangled up.  I opened one up and one of the metal rods broke off and poked through the plastic, so I have 2 good ones left.

I hack off the handle and put the umbrella shaft into a windtech C clamp also.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:30:11 PM by mgtaper »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m310's, DPA 4023's, DPA 4661's, Line Audio CM4's, AKG 460's w/CK61 caps, Busman bsc-1 k1,k2,k3 & k4, Busman modded nak 300's, stock nak 300's cp1, cp2 & cp4, Rode nt5's
Cables: Kind Kables or DarkTrain Silvers
Pres: Sound Devices MixPre 10 II, Sound Devices MixPre 3 II, Tascam DR 680, PMD 661, Apogee Mini-me,  Edirol UA-5 BM2P+ mod, Mic2496
Bit Buckets:  HP IPAQ 2795H,  MicroTrack II(x2),  PMD 661

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 03:49:01 PM »
I've still got the umbrella w clamp that was common 20 years ago, but don't use it much.

I found that the sound of the rain on the umbrella was super distracting. The material GB shared might take care of that. Looks a lot like washable air filter material to me. If it is, it does get a bit heavier when wet...

Soo many wet rox shows. Hail. We ended up sticking our gear under the SBD platform to keep it dry 😀.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »
Gutbucket's DIY approach with open cell foam is essentially based on the same materials that are used for commercial solutions like the Rycote "Duck" or the Reinhard "Rain Hat" - just that those have a second layer at the bottom side that is to to drain off the water before it reaches the mics.

i think I've posted some links to articles and materials here before
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=173173.15

Offline adamz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 03:08:10 PM »
Thanks for all that, great ideas.
I’m understanding all the tech and attachment no problem.
I seek the small diameter umbrella like in those array pics.14” or so.
AZ

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 06:31:04 PM »
I've bought mine years ago from a place where they sell prams and baby stuff. Was originally sold as a parasol and I had to impregnate it to make it water-repellant.

This is what it looks like:

And this is what it sounds like:

https://aporee.org/maps/?loc=56681&m=satellite

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »
Gutbucket's DIY approach with open cell foam is essentially based on the same materials that are used for commercial solutions like the Rycote "Duck" or the Reinhard "Rain Hat" - just that those have a second layer at the bottom side that is to to drain off the water before it reaches the mics.

Yes exactly.  The idea is a "baby duck" that would sit directly atop a water-repellent treated big ass Shure windscreen, like a funny little hat.  With it directly on top it can be smaller, requiring less overhang, but then also needs especially good droplet impact disruption.

Offline Top Hat

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2022, 08:44:27 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com