Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: izotope question (loud clapping / quiet music)  (Read 2167 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
izotope question (loud clapping / quiet music)
« on: July 11, 2022, 05:49:33 PM »
I've seen great things about izotope's capability, and for the longest time have resisted learning yet another piece of software...but I think the time has come.

I've been dealing with loud audience sections w/ the envelope tool in audacity, but I've come to realize it's not the best solution, just the one that I know how to use. From what it seems, izotope has a solution for me...

For those that use it:

-how easy is it to pick up?
-which version do I need?
-is this the best option for what I'm looking for?

To reiterate, I'm talking about quiet / acoustic music with large spikes from audience clappingl So generally short sections of loud spikes, outside of the music.

THANK!

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: izotope question (loud clapping / quiet music)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »
-how easy is it to pick up?

Dirt easy. I've learned 90% of it through trial and error, though there are enough RX experts on here that it's easy to find more specific advice as well.

-which version do I need?

I will leave that to the RX experts, as I will never understand iZotope's naming scheme.

-is this the best option for what I'm looking for?

RX is pretty damn great at this. De-click, multiband, then tweak the sliders to get the effect you want, whether it's muting the claps so they sound more distant or eliminating them entirely.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: izotope question (loud clapping / quiet music)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 09:02:14 AM »
Longtime RX user here. I recommend you go for the Standard version, as some of the most useful modules for concert recording, such as Spectral Denoise and Spectral Repair, are not found in Elements.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features.html#compare=

I also made a thread several years back on how do address this problem in both Audacity and RX. RX does a better job, as you would expect. You also could do what's described in that thread with just RX Elements, but I still say RX Standard is well worth the money for Spectral Denoise alone.
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163137.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com