Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First Time Taper!  (Read 7617 times)

Offline kp_centi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
First Time Taper!
« on: July 24, 2022, 08:47:49 PM »
Hello,
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I've been skimming around this website, and I was fascinated with it.
I went to a concert recently, and they didn't really allow audio recorders, so I just brought my second smart phone and used a audio recorder to record the whole thing. What do I do next, I was thinking doing some audio tweaking and cutting it, but I'm a little lost and over whelmed what to do next?

If you guys could lead me to some threads or pages I can be more familiar, I would appreciate it.

Where do should I post the audio also? I haven't seen much audio recordings of kpop shows.

EDIT: I somehow missed the Matrix Guide and Gear FAQs. I'm reading it now!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:27:38 PM by kp_centi »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: First Time Taper!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »
Hello,
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I've been skimming around this website, and I was fascinated with it.
I went to a concert recently, and they didn't really allow audio recorders, so I just brought my second smart phone and used a audio recorder to record the whole thing. What do I do next, I was thinking doing some audio tweaking and cutting it, but I'm a little lost and over whelmed what to do next?

If you guys could lead me to some threads or pages I can be more familiar, I would appreciate it.

Where do should I post the audio also? I haven't seen much audio recordings of kpop shows.

Welcome to the board. What app are you using for the phone recording?
transfer the raw files to a computer. The free software for PC (mac also i think) is Audacity. There are others which cost money such as Wavelab, Adobe Audition, Izotope etc.
Then to track out use cdwav editor (free/shareware)
I like Traders Little helper for file conversion and creating checksum files. Also free/shareware

Good luck. I would guess there are not too many kpop recordists. keep reading here for brand names and such.
Are you located in Asia or the states?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:00 PM »
Hello,

transfer the raw files to a computer. The free software for PC (mac also i think) is Audacity. There are others which cost money such as Wavelab, Adobe Audition, Izotope etc.
I like Traders Little helper for file conversion and creating checksum files. Also free/shareware

Good luck. I would guess there are not too many kpop recordists. keep reading here for brand names and such.
The free Audacity editor software runs on PC, Mac, and even Linux.
Note that the most recent versions of Audacity software (versions numbered 3 or greater) "phone home" and do some user tracking, so there are many of us who simply use older versions.
Download link for v2.4.2 for Mac/Win:
https://archive.org/details/audacity-2.4.2

Audacity software will also allow you to "track out" your uninterrupted recording as well.
Labels are added to the track start points using control-b (command-b on mac) and then the operator can "Export Multiple" according to the labels.

Trader's Little Helper is PC only. On the mac, I use Scott Brown's xACT for most everything. Scott is active on this message board as user "scb"
He posted an updated version today which works on Apple Silicon or Intel CPUs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7lkfp44y3grbvd/xACTTest.zip?dl=0 fixed issue where verifying an ffp file could crash if the file was corrupt or incomplete

Some folks use youtube or Soundcloud. I think Soundcloud at least keeps the quality you upload. Youtube turns everything into MP3, basically.
You could probably post the results on the internet archive under Community Audio.
The Live Music Archive section there is only for bands and musical artists who have chosen to "opt-in" to allow their works to be hosted.
If you can convince the band to give permission to allow fan recordings to be posted, then the LMA is a perfect option.
Here is a list of trade-friendly bands on the LMA
https://archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php

PS CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:22:00 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 04:47:39 PM »
Hello,

I'm using this app https://gitlab.com/axet/android-audio-recorder. It's really good, it lets you do 24bit, 192kHz, Stereo, and you can record in a bunch of formats like FLAC.
I have Audacity and I also own FL Studio, I just never had much experience with this kind of audio before. I wasn't sure what kind of tweaking I should do, other than levels and EQ. I still to have this weird clicking / clipping bits that happen randomly for a second.

I am located in the USA.

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 04:50:43 PM »
Hello,

The free Audacity editor software runs on PC, Mac, and even Linux.
Note that the most recent versions of Audacity software (versions numbered 3 or greater) "phone home" and do some user tracking, so there are many of us who simply use older versions.
Download link for v2.4.2 for Mac/Win:
https://archive.org/details/audacity-2.4.2

Audacity software will also allow you to "track out" your uninterrupted recording as well.
Labels are added to the track start points using control-b (command-b on mac) and then the operator can "Export Multiple" according to the labels.

Trader's Little Helper is PC only. On the mac, I use Scott Brown's xACT for most everything. Scott is active on this message board as user "scb"
He posted an updated version today which works on Apple Silicon or Intel CPUs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7lkfp44y3grbvd/xACTTest.zip?dl=0 fixed issue where verifying an ffp file could crash if the file was corrupt or incomplete

Some folks use youtube or Soundcloud. I think Soundcloud at least keeps the quality you upload. Youtube turns everything into MP3, basically.
You could probably post the results on the internet archive under Community Audio.
The Live Music Archive section there is only for bands and musical artists who have chosen to "opt-in" to allow their works to be hosted.
If you can convince the band to give permission to allow fan recordings to be posted, then the LMA is a perfect option.
Here is a list of trade-friendly bands on the LMA
https://archive.org/audio/etree-band-showall.php

PS CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME!

Whoa I never knew about the Labels system in Audacity. I'll check out Trader's Little Helper or xACT. I'm on both platforms anyways.
Soundcloud actually transcode their audio to 128kbps or 256kbps (If you have SoundCloud Premium)

Good to know about the Live Section on Archive.org I wouldn't have wanted to mistakenly post on there

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
I have Audacity and I also own FL Studio, I just never had much experience with this kind of audio before. I wasn't sure what kind of tweaking I should do, other than levels and EQ. I still to have this weird clicking / clipping bits that happen randomly for a second.

Maybe share a sample here with the clicking/clipping bits? There are pro audio editing tools that can address that kind of thing, but also Stupid Audacity Tricks that sometimes can as well in a pinch.

And seconding the congrats on your first successful recording, and welcome to a lifetime of wondering what gear you should buy next...

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 04:35:59 PM »
FYI the mods have to continuously make clear Community Audio is not for bands that are not approved for LMA. It is for "other" types of audio that need archiving, not a catch all pirate bay type place to avoid copyright law. Try to get your bands to allow archiving on LMA and it they don't want to then don't put their stuff in Community Audio either.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 04:38:35 PM »
FYI the mods have to continuously make clear Community Audio is not for bands that are not approved for LMA. It is for "other" types of audio that need archiving, not a catch all pirate bay type place to avoid copyright law. Try to get your bands to allow archiving on LMA and it they don't want to then don't put their stuff in Community Audio either.

Old news. We've evolved our position on this. If you are taping with permission, but can't get the artist on the LMA (some just can't figure out how to reply to an email), Community Audio is okay. Some artists that have historically already said no should not be uploaded to CA - Phish, DMB, Mule, Panic, Black Crowes, and others.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 04:52:47 PM »

Old news. We've evolved our position on this. If you are taping with permission, but can't get the artist on the LMA (some just can't figure out how to reply to an email), Community Audio is okay. Some artists that have historically already said no should not be uploaded to CA - Phish, DMB, Mule, Panic, Black Crowes, and others.

Oh, that's good to know — I wasn't clear on this. So Community Audio is okay if you have permission to both tape and distribute publicly, I assume?

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 10:53:03 PM »

I don't think I'll personally have much luck with contacting a Korean Girl Group about posting recordings, BUT... they allow Recordings from a Phone during the concert, so I wouldn't see why it would be any different than just a audio recording.

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 11:07:32 PM »

Maybe share a sample here with the clicking/clipping bits? There are pro audio editing tools that can address that kind of thing, but also Stupid Audacity Tricks that sometimes can as well in a pinch.

And seconding the congrats on your first successful recording, and welcome to a lifetime of wondering what gear you should buy next...

Here's a long sample from the recording. It's kinda rough I think :S

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10UXNhsTa3jgTaVKP76MEPmaJpfJPNikv/view?usp=sharing

I have a Zoom H6 coming in, but definitely can't bring that in to the venue

I'm going to another Kpop Concert this coming weekend and hopefully I can do better recordings. It's a shame you can only bring in a Phone, nothing else...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:14:50 PM by kp_centi »

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 11:37:56 PM »

I don't think I'll personally have much luck with contacting a Korean Girl Group about posting recordings, BUT... they allow Recordings from a Phone during the concert, so I wouldn't see why it would be any different than just a audio recording.

You'd think that, but for some reason some venues/artists are still weary about tapers despite 40% of the audience having their phone recording at any given moment.

Here's a long sample from the recording. It's kinda rough I think :S

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10UXNhsTa3jgTaVKP76MEPmaJpfJPNikv/view?usp=sharing

I have a Zoom H6 coming in, but definitely can't bring that in to the venue

I'm going to another Kpop Concert this coming weekend and hopefully I can do better recordings. It's a shame you can only bring in a Phone, nothing else...

Sounds like the mics are overloaded or your recording levels were too high. I know nothing about iphone microphones but have heard some decent tapes from folks that use iphone microphones like the Shure MV88. Good luck with the tapes! 

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 11:50:55 PM »

Sounds like the mics are overloaded or your recording levels were too high. I know nothing about iphone microphones but have heard some decent tapes from folks that use iphone microphones like the Shure MV88. Good luck with the tapes!

Looking at the waveform (and listening as well), it's not so bad — you're getting a ton of bass, which is normal at a big venue like this, but it's clipping only in the left channel, and not too severely. You might to start by just using an EQ filter and cranking down the bass by a metric crapton (maybe 3-6 dB for everything below ~200 Hz) while raising the top end (2 KHz and up) by a couple of dB to boost the vocals. It still won't be as good as you could get with better mics, but definitely way better than my first recording attempt, about which we will never speak about again.

And I've heard good things about the MV88 as well — there's a thread here somewhere about it that should go into more detail.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 10:49:40 AM »
Good luck with recording your upcoming concerts!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline kp_centi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »
You'd think that, but for some reason some venues/artists are still weary about tapers despite 40% of the audience having their phone recording at any given moment.

I sadly use an android, but I should look in to small mics like that for the future, I can definitely get that in to venues.

Looking at the waveform (and listening as well), it's not so bad — you're getting a ton of bass, which is normal at a big venue like this, but it's clipping only in the left channel, and not too severely. You might to start by just using an EQ filter and cranking down the bass by a metric crapton (maybe 3-6 dB for everything below ~200 Hz) while raising the top end (2 KHz and up) by a couple of dB to boost the vocals. It still won't be as good as you could get with better mics, but definitely way better than my first recording attempt, about which we will never speak about again.

And I've heard good things about the MV88 as well — there's a thread here somewhere about it that should go into more detail.

Thanks so much! These are good starting points for me to edit the audio.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com