Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/8" attenuator cable  (Read 5898 times)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
1/8" attenuator cable
« on: August 01, 2022, 08:36:45 AM »
What's the best source these days for an 1/8" stereo attenuator cable? I plugged my A10 into the board at one of my favorite venues this weekend, and got brickwalling even at the lowest possible gain.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 1/8" attenuator cable
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 09:33:31 AM »
What's the best source these days for an 1/8" stereo attenuator cable? I plugged my A10 into the board at one of my favorite venues this weekend, and got brickwalling even at the lowest possible gain.

I am guilty of plugging a cable from my pre-amp into my A10 and not paying close attention to whether it was set for "mic-in" or "audio-in."  It should have been "audio-in," but I screwed up and somehow set it for "mic-in."  The result was that no matter how low I set the input, I couldn't stop it from overloading the A10.

So just in case this might have also happened to you - I'll offer this as a possible explanation.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »

I am guilty of plugging a cable from my pre-amp into my A10 and not paying close attention to whether it was set for "mic-in" or "audio-in."  It should have been "audio-in," but I screwed up and somehow set it for "mic-in."  The result was that no matter how low I set the input, I couldn't stop it from overloading the A10.

So just in case this might have also happened to you - I'll offer this as a possible explanation.

Good thinking, but I checked at the time, and it was audio in. The soundperson had me plug into some soundboard onstage (which required going up there while the band was soundchecking, that wasn't awkward at all), and I think it just had a crazy-hot output.

It may be this was a one-time glitch, but I'd still like to have an attenuator cable handy just in case, for if something like this happens again.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 01:12:16 PM »
I've definitely seen them on Amazon.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 01:25:46 PM »
I have Shure XLR barrel attenuators. I typically go SBD > XLR > attenuators > Hosa dual XLR to 1/8" stereo mini plug > recorder.

Granted, not I haven't tried into an A-10, but I have a similar situation with my 60D channel 3/4.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »
I got a -20dB cable from Len years ago back in the minidisc days

https://www.core-sound.com/products/attenuator-cables
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
I have Shure XLR barrel attenuators. I typically go SBD > XLR > attenuators > Hosa dual XLR to 1/8" stereo mini plug > recorder.

Thanks! So I would buy a pair of these, say, and plug them into the board's XLR out, then plug my XLR-to-1/8" cable into the other end?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A15AS--shure-a15as-switchable-attenuator

Have you ever run into any trouble fitting all that into a tight space around a board? That would be my main concern.

I got a -20dB cable from Len years ago back in the minidisc days

https://www.core-sound.com/products/attenuator-cables

That could work, too, thanks!

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »
I think it would be pretty rare board to have enough room to plug the attenuators straight in. I plug my usual XLR cable into the board and then attenuators and then the xlr > 1/8" stereo cable.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 03:29:17 PM »
I think it would be pretty rare board to have enough room to plug the attenuators straight in. I plug my usual XLR cable into the board and then attenuators and then the xlr > 1/8" stereo cable.

Ohhhh, I getcha. That makes more sense.

Since I don't have XLR-to-XLR cables, I should probably get the Core Sound 1/8" cable then, or something similar?

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 05:30:41 PM »
Since I don't have XLR-to-XLR cables, I should probably get the Core Sound 1/8" cable then, or something similar?
Sound Pros has them too.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 09:11:58 PM »

Ohhhh, I getcha. That makes more sense.

Yes, that is probably what I would do. As jefflester says, Sound Professionals might be a good choice.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 12:04:29 AM »
a10: consumer device
SBD: pro gear

Consumer line level is generally thought of as a signal whose level is at -10 dBV.
Professional line level is generally thought of as a signal whose level is at +4 dBu.
Difference is roughly 12db.

I have had good luck with a -10db 1/8" trs male to 1/8" trs female cable made by Nicky in the beforetimes. The makers referenced in this thread will be great picks too.

Cheers!
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 07:46:08 AM »

I've heard this before, trusted and used the advice to use line-in, and still got levels too loud for my A10. Since then, I always have an attenuator cable in the chain.

Either these: https://www.core-sound.com/products/attenuator-cables

or these:
https://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-IMP-Pad-30-dB/dp/B0006Q9AT0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3EQJ3YPQ2ZLM7&keywords=30db+pad&qid=1662637551&sprefix=30db+pad%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-2

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 07:47:30 AM »

Have you ever run into any trouble fitting all that into a tight space around a board? That would be my main concern.

Quote from: lsd2525 link=topic=200262.msg2381119#msg2381119 d
[/quote
Yes, that is an issue. I have a short run of XLR cable - pad - xlr/3.5mm cable.

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 02:49:02 AM »
The 1/8" 10db pads made by M-Audio will work, but unfortunately they are discontinued. You might have luck finding one on Ebay or something though. I've used one in between a sbd and my DR2D before with excellent results.

Here's the B&H listing:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437136-REG/M_Audio_9800_51795_00_In_Line_10dB_Pad.html
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com