Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Putting a Mic very close to the speakers?  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: Putting a Mic very close to the speakers?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 07:00:23 PM »
with the widespread availability of multi-channel (more than 2) recorders, does anyone have experience combining a stereo audience feed (out in the audience) with either a stereo or mono stack mic? Basically a aud/stack matrix?

I inadvertently tried one last year when I promised to record a neighbors norteño/cumbia band and the soundguy couldnt get any audio routed to the boards outputs.I quickly put a single C4 cardioid on the stack hoping it would be a nice clear feed to augment my at853 stereo audience mics but the mono C4 was too close the stack apparently and sounded weird and hollow and really didn’t add much when mixed with the at853’s in post.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 08:04:58 PM »
Might try EQing it to see if you can make it non-hollow/less-weird enough to be useful, use less of it than you otherwise might want, and then listen to decide if that's any better than the main pair in the audience or not.  If not, it was a worthwhile try.  Depending on how far back the main pair was you may need to delay it to sync up, like mixing with a soundboard feed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 01:07:16 PM »
Might try EQing it to see if you can make it non-hollow/less-weird enough to be useful, use less of it than you otherwise might want, and then listen to decide if that's any better than the main pair in the audience or not.  If not, it was a worthwhile try.  Depending on how far back the main pair was you may need to delay it to sync up, like mixing with a soundboard feed.

I always visually line up snare hits on different sources, so I'm good there. EQing is where I need some practice. My list of flawed recordings that require an EQ is too long now and maybe this winter I can get to it. Or I just need to start practicing on new recordings, that's more likely ha.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline robwas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 03:32:59 PM »
So I just wanted to follow up and also extend a HUGE thank you to the community for all the input on this subject!  I tried this last night at one of our local jazz shows where there's plenty of chatty people, in addition we had a hurricane. Just kidding but the gusts were strong enough to blow things over on stage, at least 20 mph.  I just put my Zoom H5 up between the mains and subs on a simple photography light stand a few feet away.  The audio was pretty good except for some static in there but that was coming through the speakers, I heard it with my own ears at the show.  What was really great is I could still hear the audience clap but chatty people and wind noise was much reduced, there was also someone using a circular saw nearby and because the levels on my recorder were set lower and the music was louder it didn't ruin it.  If anyone is curious how the recording came out here's a link along with some video...  the video is nothing special but overall I'm not unhappy with the audio. Again thanks to everyone.

https://youtu.be/m_T4YuoUoUk
https://youtu.be/9AhZKgzR-XU

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 05:37:27 PM »
So I just wanted to follow up and also extend a HUGE thank you to the community for all the input on this subject!  I tried this last night at one of our local jazz shows where there's plenty of chatty people, in addition we had a hurricane. Just kidding but the gusts were strong enough to blow things over on stage, at least 20 mph.  I just put my Zoom H5 up between the mains and subs on a simple photography light stand a few feet away.  The audio was pretty good except for some static in there but that was coming through the speakers, I heard it with my own ears at the show.  What was really great is I could still hear the audience clap but chatty people and wind noise was much reduced, there was also someone using a circular saw nearby and because the levels on my recorder were set lower and the music was louder it didn't ruin it.  If anyone is curious how the recording came out here's a link along with some video...  the video is nothing special but overall I'm not unhappy with the audio. Again thanks to everyone.

Sounds great, pretty amazing what you can get with minimal equipment if you know the right spots and angles

EDIT-Dang, she's got a really great voice, will have to look up more of her.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:39:33 PM by Dan33185 »
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline robwas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 12:31:13 AM »

EDIT-Dang, she's got a really great voice, will have to look up more of her.

Yeah, we get some really great music in Woodbridge NJ for free.  Sadly only about 60 people showed up for that show and it's in a huge field along with plenty of parking.  People just don't appreciate jazz it seems, tribute bands 2000 people come out.  Alexis is only 19 years and a special guest of the band for the show.  Nice to see someone else appreciate such a great voice...  the band were also top tier musicians.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »
Nice job! Great band.  Recording sounds very nice.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 12:37:36 PM »

Very nice!  Good work!  Like someone said earlier, "Good way to avoid wind noise or chatty neighbors' blather at small outdoor shows".    :headphones:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com