Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3d printing for fun and aggravation  (Read 5207 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 3d printing for fun and aggravation
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 12:49:14 AM »
So I think that the historical explanation for the high prices, and the long duration of certain product designs, is based in those purchasing patterns. Even today, you and I--who might buy one pair of capsules after agonizing for months and talking it over with our therapists--are up against the market influence of customers who get authorization to buy 100 or more microphones in a single swoop, and who want the accessories to be part of the same order.
I feel this ^

--The present-day A 20 was actually introduced as a more robust type of shock mount than what Schoeps had made in the past (see attached photos from the 1965 catalog; I used to have some of these; the sleeves surrounding the microphone body were thin metal). Their design was patented, and I think Dr. Schoeps felt rather proud of them. But Jerry Bruck complained about them and actually had the nerve to demonstrate the problem by stepping on one and breaking it in front of Dr. Schoeps--who was taken aback, but he got the point, and the present form of the A 20 (and related models) was then designed.
I love this story very much! Total respect for Jerry!!!

Since then, the inner part (the actual "clamp") has been replaced with a newer type of plastic that is much harder to break and that doesn't risk scratching a Nextel finish nearly as much. The plastic "foot" (the only part on any of mine that has ever broken) has also been replaced with metal.

Funny that should come up. After years of service, the base of my A20 gave up. The top cracked off of the base.  I got out the micrometer, did some measurements and hit TinkerCAD. Had to tweak, but the 3rd prototype was money. Printed with PETG. Very strong and threads smoothly onto the quick release (not shown) I always used with it to help prevent wearing out the plastic threads. I'll probably end up printing one more using settings for fine printing.
I'd be stoked to have a replacement thread part if you are running them off! Mine is split from years of use, and I have had to find other options. This would rejuvenate mine! Will gladly pay postage & plastic cost LOL!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 12:52:57 PM »
Sure. I DM'd you
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 03:39:07 PM »
3D printers can also come in quite handy when you need to replace a part that Schoeps won't sell you separately. It's not a nice print or anything (because the part is so damn small), but it got the job done.
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192489.msg2384495#msg2384495

And did I mention that my printer is currently busy printing parts for another printer? :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 02:13:53 PM by Sebastian »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 11:01:00 PM »
That's very meta.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com