Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic mounts for 12mm carbon fiber rod?  (Read 7469 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic mounts for 12mm carbon fiber rod?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 08:20:23 PM »
That Rode pole does look nice, especially with all the threaded fittings.

If anyone is looking for a cheap source of carbon fiber rods, I have had great dealing with this sport kite supplier.
I used a model similar to this one for my modular 4061 stand:
https://www.kitesandfunthings.com/Products/Sky-Shark-P400-XL__p400xl.aspx
https://imgur.io/a/mGTcH

Be sure to look under both Pultruded and Wrapped tube categories to see all they have.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 07:12:49 PM »
Hi,

Can someone help me understand the benefit of carbon rod over alumimum 15MM threaded rod? Weight? Seems a lot more expensive...

Thanks!
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 07:30:42 PM »
Hi,

Can someone help me understand the benefit of carbon rod over alumimum 15MM threaded rod? Weight? Seems a lot more expensive...

Thanks!

Yes. It's a HUGE difference in weight, which potentially becomes more important the higher you go. You can also go very wide without adding much mass. The 1m bar I have is still extremely light.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 12:32:03 PM »
And its sexier!

My company builds two versions of an otherwise functionally equivalent product line, one from aluminum, the other carbon fiber.  Folks like to talk about the weight difference, but in our case the real-world differentiator which all recognize but generally goes unmentioned is that the carbon fiber version is cooler and sexier.

I've been scheming for years on ways to build very small diameter / light weight telescopic mic-bar sections out of carbon fiber tubes to replace the repurposed TV telescopic antennas (black steel) used in my rig, mostly because doing so would eliminate folding-mode failure.  Its only happened a few times over the course of decade and a half, but on a few occasions I've accidentally fold-kinked a telescopic section tube when hurriedly breaking down at the end of a session, retracting telescopic sections in haste.  To continue using the rig prior to replacement of that arm I then need to reinforce the damaged area with a splint made from a split section of rigid plastic tube or a chopstick gaff-taped in place, after-which that section can no longer be fully retracted.

Nesting carbon fiber kite tubes would be perfect, except for the lack of end components that prevent over-extension and provide either sufficient friction (like the current TV antennas) or a locking mechanism sufficient to prevent rotation once deployed, as necessary to maintain the desired orientation of the microphones in the vertical plane.

Might even be able to run small guage coiled wiring internally.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 12:35:46 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 01:38:31 PM »
Daft question: I understand that pretty much all of these carbon fibre rods don't have any inner threading....
Would it be possible / reasonable to use superglue or epoxy to permanently fix some thread adaptors (similar to the K&M 215M10 or the K&M 217) to them?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 01:53:05 PM »
Yes. I'd use epoxy preferably.  Proper prep with good fit, scuff sanding, solvent wipe, etc..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 04:00:16 PM »
Daft question: I understand that pretty much all of these carbon fibre rods don't have any inner threading....
Would it be possible / reasonable to use superglue or epoxy to permanently fix some thread adaptors (similar to the K&M 215M10 or the K&M 217) to them?

That's probably what Rode did with their carbon boompole mentioned earlier in the thread. Superglue is what the kite company recommended to me for internal carbon ferrules, but for attaching threaded rods I would use JB Weld.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 04:05:02 PM »
Nesting carbon fiber kite tubes would be perfect, except for the lack of end components that prevent over-extension and provide either sufficient friction (like the current TV antennas) or a locking mechanism sufficient to prevent rotation once deployed, as necessary to maintain the desired orientation of the microphones in the vertical plane.

These three companies have been mentioned a few times on GS Remote by people building telescoping carbon fiber assemblies for super-tall stands. Beware; the prices are painful.

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/
https://dragonplate.com/carbon-fiber-products
https://www.clearwatercomposites.com/
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline marcb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 05:41:54 PM »

That's probably what Rode did with their carbon boompole mentioned earlier in the thread. Superglue is what the kite company recommended to me for internal carbon ferrules, but for attaching threaded rods I would use JB Weld.

I think these carbon fiber rods are the same as graphite shafts for golf clubs. Two part epoxy mixed properly should be super durable. Here is link to quick set (~30 min). A LITTLE heat from heat gun will help it cure better but not necessary.

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-maximum-strength-tour-set-plus-epoxy/p/vb1033/

Offline voltronic

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 06:43:56 PM »
I mentioned JB Weld because it IS 2-part epoxy, and the strongest on the market: 5200 psi tensile strength. The 4500 psi of that Golf Works epoxy is probably more than enough for this application, though.

The carbon fiber I'm working with are tubes; not solid rods which I think club shafts are made of.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 08:31:10 PM »
Here is a post describing a reasonably-priced solution for end-mounting mics to a 6-foot carbon fiber bar:

https://gearspace.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/1355650-onno-pipe-4-mic-w-apes.html#post15522030

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 10:11:03 AM »

These three companies have been mentioned a few times on GS Remote by people building telescoping carbon fiber assemblies for super-tall stands. Beware; the prices are painful.

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/
https://dragonplate.com/carbon-fiber-products
https://www.clearwatercomposites.com/

Thanks.  Good to recheck every now and then.  Looks like all those outfits continue to lack telescoping connectors for tubes smaller than about 1" OD.  Some have small diameter tubes available, yet no end connectors for them.  Will recheck the kite supply folks, as they tend to specialize in smaller diameter tubing.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 06:13:14 PM »
I contacted Scott at SRS Recording last week since to see if he could come up with a solution. I think what he designed is very slick - check it out:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ADMVQ2BNJ/cf-fitting-sprue-12mm
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2023, 10:05:37 AM »
I contacted Scott at SRS Recording last week since to see if he could come up with a solution. I think what he designed is very slick - check it out:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ADMVQ2BNJ/cf-fitting-sprue-12mm
verry slick, as you say. Looks very cool. He/they are good at this stuff.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2023, 08:07:31 PM »
Here they are, in the flesh! Amazing work from Scott.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170480.msg2390372#msg2390372
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com