Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Own HT business....crazy??  (Read 6783 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Own HT business....crazy??
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 09:06:21 PM »
hmmmm.... not sure you guys understand what it is I plan to do.  I will not take anything, but setting up HT until I see fit.  I get people coming over how the heck I managed to do what I did in my basement and want the same, but they have no knowledge of how to set it up.  I have a love for anything audio/video and am looking to break into the market. I will offer products such as speakers, projectors, screens etc.  but I don't plan on getting into total home automation yet.

I worked in that business as an owner and employee for many years, the last gig being as a room acoustics designer for a woodworker who designed $300K to $1 Mil custom movie theaters.  One of the things all of these guys are trying to point out to you is that in order to get these HT jobs from customers who are strangers, and not friends, or friends of friends, you probably have to be willing to at least hook them up with a home automator or alarm installer.  Forging relationships with these types companies is one way to go about it.  I think what we may then be suggesting is that if you are going to be doing the wire pulling and system set up for their home theater, then you might as well get in to distrubuted audio/video/computer, (more revenue in EQ and labor for you).  IF you get in to whole house entertainment, you might as well get in to automated lighting/curtain/appliance control.  IF you get in to that, then you may as well rig up their alarm syatem as you would then be running all of the non electrical wire in their home, making it 1] easier to co-ordinate/integrate, and 2] earn more revenue for your venture.
Unfortunately, even in HT, much of the work/revenue is construction oriented and NOT system oriented.
It's a never ending ride from there!  I loved my time in that industry. <:)

As far as buying expensive measuring and calibration systems, you are better off buying a version of SMAART from JBL (around $1K) a good measurement mic and borrowing/renting any other stuff you might need.  That stuff is used so rarely, as some one said, most customers can't afford it
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 10:52:42 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 10:15:49 PM »
BUMP

JB, you heard of that company?

No, but I checkerd out their site. Pretty nice stuff they do.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 10:53:02 PM »
BUMP

JB, you heard of that company?

No, but I checkerd out their site. Pretty nice stuff they do.

How close is it to what you're doing?

Mike is a great guy, he's got a mk21&mk4/kc5/cmc6/v2/hhb rig out there and an unreal stereo (5.1 Paradigm and Anthem). Keep an eye out, good guy to know...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com