Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New house, new audio spaces, new setup challenges - suggestions?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
New house, new audio spaces, new setup challenges - suggestions?

Moving to the new house poses some playback challenges, namely re-creating the following A/V spaces:

[1]  living room casual listening
Pretty minimal requirements here.  At the moment, I'm thinking I'll recycle my Rotel tuner/pre + Adcom GFA-555 (or SAE Mark XXXII) + B&W DM610i bookshelf speakers.  The B&Ws FR isn't what I'd like, but reality is I won't listen much in this space.  so unless someone can suggest a suitable pre / power / speaker replacement at the price point I'd get for this gear used (i.e. not much), I'll probably just stick with this old gear.  I may move to a Sony STR-DA3000ES + other speakers at some point, but for the moment I think I'm okay recycling this old playback gear I picked up long ago.  So...I think no real recommendations needed here until I sort out what more to do with this space.

[2]  basement home theater
Much smaller space than previously, roughly 10' x 12' with the rear wall open to the rest of the basement.  Crappy acoustic environment - concrete, basically.  We'll do some wall-hangings and rugs to dampen things a bit, but not interested in serious room conditioning - just not worth it at this point.

Current gear (not yet cannabilized) in this space:

x | (transport not an issue)
    1 | Sony TA-E9000ES processor / preamp
    2 | Maggie MMG front mains
    2 | Maggie MMG-W surround
    1 | Maggie MMG-C center
    1 | Pinnacle Baby Boomer sub

Power amps - gone, as they're allocated to other areas in the house.  This room's a real challenge for the Maggies, I think, since I can't get the spacing I want between the rear and side walls.  I love the MMGs, and would love to upgrade to 1.6s, but the money's not there at the moment, this space won't allow it, and neither will the home office or living room.  We're not raving HT nuts, so something "good enough" will suffice, and I think I want speakers that offer a bit more "punch" for HT than the laid-back, smooth Maggies offer.  Which means for now, I think I'm gonna bail on the Maggies.  I'll probably keep the Baby Boomer sub.  So...that leaves me with needing a power amp + the full 5 speaker complement.  Budget for the power amp + 5 speakers = roughly $1k, more if I unload the Sony TA-9000ES in favor of an (at least 5 channel) all-in-one processor / preamp / power amp like the Sony STR-DAx000 line.

• Any recommendations for 5 channel power amp + 5 speaker component given the budget of $1k?
  • Am I better off unloading the TA-9000ES in favor of an all-in-one processor / preamp / power amp like the STR-DAx000ES series?
[/color]

[3]  home office primary listening
My requirements for this space are the most demanding.  Unfortunately, it's a challenging space (home office), so I know I have to make some compromises.  I like my headphone playback (PC / Waveterminal 2496 digi-out > smART DIO > AKG K501), but it's failed the GAF test (g/f acceptance factor) since I'm largely clueless to the outside world even at fairly low volumes.  And besides, I prefer speaker listening, which my previous office did not accomodate.  This room, while not ideal, will at least physically accomodate speaker listening, and I can always chuck on the headphones from time to time.  So...gear available here:

(transport not an issue)
    Bel Canto DAC 1.1
    YS Audio Symphonies preamp
    McCormack DNA-1 power amp
    ? speakers ?

See the diagram below for rough room dimensions and layout.  This is the only config I could figure out that fit all the stuff in the room (it's all gotta fit, no exceptions) and still provided a physical space at least minimally accomodating to audio playback.  I'm thinking since I'm behind the desk, I need some bookshelf or medium-sized speakers I can raise up on stands to get 'em above the desk.  No audio treatments doable at this point - I'm just looking for reasonably good speakers for a small, less than ideal space.

• Any recommendations for speakers in the $500 range for this kind of space?
[/color]
Alternatively, I could allocate the roughly $1,500 budget differently than above, as long as it covered the following gear as previously noted:

[2]  basement home theater
5-channel power amp + 5 speakers for HT
or
5-channel processor / preamp / power amp + 5 speakers

[3]  home office primary listening
2 speakers

Curious to hear some responses...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: New house, new audio spaces, new setup challenges - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »
  • Any recommendations for speakers in the $500 range for this kind of space?
[/color]

(used) Von Schweikert VR-1 ($550 here: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1129216513)
Paradigm Atoms
Norh 4.0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 11:34:14 AM by MattD »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 11:10:31 AM »
Thanks, Matt.  The VR1s (used) hit me right away as an option for the office (primary listening) speakers.

I'd forgotten about Norh.  I looked into their speakers a whlie ago and may now have to consider moving the B&Ws to the basement as surrounds and picking up Norh 4s for the living room.  Jen's definitely gonna like the styling, and as long as they sound pretty good, we'll both be happy, then.

Paradigm Atoms - I hear the Paradigm name tossed around quite a bit, but never looked into 'em.  Thanks for the rec, I'll dig a little bit and see if I can find a local pair for listening.
Roland R-05

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 11:37:25 AM »
Forget the Atoms. I just hit audiogon and saw some Paradigm Studio 20s going for $500.

I've never actually heard the Norh speakers. I wouldn't mind helping you audition those. :)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:29:31 PM »
I would recommend the VR-1's, and then add a sub later to fill things in. 
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 05:19:10 PM »

Thanks E.  As for the sub...what I really want are VR2s instead of adding a sub, but gotta figure out the $$ and listening space, first - they'd be wasted in my current space.  If I can't figure out the $$ and physical space to accommodate the VR2s in the future, the sub's a good idea.
Roland R-05

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:05:06 PM »

Thanks E.  As for the sub...what I really want are VR2s instead of adding a sub, but gotta figure out the $$ and listening space, first - they'd be wasted in my current space.  If I can't figure out the $$ and physical space to accommodate the VR2s in the future, the sub's a good idea.

I didn't look at square footage from your diagram, but if you are talking low to mid volume in a small to mid size room the VR-1's should suffice.  Either of the 2 options hold their value well, so I'd start with the 1's to see if you're satisfed, if not, dump them and move up the food chain.  Maybe you'll end up with the 4 jr's like me  >:D
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

BobW

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:10:48 AM »
Forget the Atoms. I just hit audiogon and saw some Paradigm Studio 20s going for $500.

I've never actually heard the Norh speakers. I wouldn't mind helping you audition those. :)

Norh has no US dealers / repair facilities.
Shipping to Thailand for speakers is expensive.
Of course hand delivering them to Thailand could be a bunch of fun.     ;D

FWIW, I've heard some of their stuff and like it.
It reminds me of "old school" - warm, slightly rolled-off top highs and bottom lows, very sweet and detailed midrange.
Easy, but not critical listening was what I walked away with.
There are many models and construction materials so YMMV.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 09:31:12 AM »
Just avoid the norh amps, lots of problems to say the least.  I think Onix ref 1's would be great for a home theater.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 09:59:19 AM »
Thanks, Bob - I didn't realize Norh doesn't have a US dealer / service presence.  That might be a deal-breaker.  Easy listening is just fine for the living room - thanks for posting your feedback.

D - I'll check out the Onix Ref 1, but initial digging suggests they're outside my current budget for either the home office or HT space.

Right now, I'm leaning towards moving my B&W DM610i pair to the home theater space, picking up some used B&Ws for the front and center HT, and using different speakers for the living room.  Heh...this is fun...  :)
Roland R-05

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 03:35:50 PM »
The key with the ref 1's is to buy them from someone who bought the ref1/tube amp combo but didn't want the speakers, they are cheaper this way.  Generally around 600 or so a pair, so 1200 for four would be a smoking good deal sound-wise, plus the GAF would be there for you as well.  Budget smudget I say, that's what credit is for ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 07:11:19 PM »
Woohoo!!  VR1s arrived today.  Damn, but these things are *small*.  About 1/2 the size of my previous bookshelf pair, B&W DM610i.  Haven't tweaked the playback setup fully yet, but straight away these babies have fuller, more extended bass, a larger soundstage, and fill the room at much lower volumes.  Gotta love new toys...

:realhappy:

Now if only I can find a way to fit the VR2s in the living room...    ;D
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 07:35:24 PM »
VR2s would certainly fill the  room w/reference class full range bliss.
i've seen those go for less than 15hun used.
and then there's always B stock....

:)

but I see you scored some VR1s.
report!!
i'm dying to own these for a 2nd system.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 11:54:40 PM »
VR2s would certainly fill the  room w/reference class full range bliss.
i've seen those go for less than 15hun used.

I *just* missed out on a pair of VR2s, local in Chicago, African Hazelwood (my preference), for $1200.  Damn!  Gotta talk to Jen about how to make 'em work in the LR, but I think we can swing it - and think she'll agree.

but I see you scored some VR1s.
report!!

Picked 'em up on A'gon for $525, African Hazelwood, though one speaker has a few minor dings on the bottom.  Fully functional, though, and otherwise in excellent condition.  I'm floored how much sound these little jobbies pump out.  And the soundstage is stunning.  Still playing around with placement, may need to get some stands, and gonna have to re-roll the new tubes I picked up recently since these speakers have a totally differen sound than the B&W DM610is.  The B&Ws were sooooo laid back, relatively speaking.  A sound I really liked, but the VR1s are punchier, fill the room better, and as I said much better soundstaging.  Unsure on differences in detail - more listening required!  Love 'em so far...
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 07:28:55 AM »
Cool.
:)
well, if you ever sell them to upgrade to the vr2s. lmk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com