Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new HD tv advice?  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
new HD tv advice?
« on: December 15, 2005, 09:37:19 AM »
family member has asked me to help shop for an HD tv (probably panel).  I know very little.  I searched the forum and the info seems a bit dated (assuming there's been some advancements or new products since the spring), so I was wondering if any of you HT guys could give me some advice on something around $2500.  Thanks!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: new HD tv advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »
Sony KDF-E55A20 Rear-Projection LCD

Although not a "flat panel", excellent bang-for-the-buck.

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 11:19:37 AM »

The Vizio 50" plasma from Costco.  It's $2499.00 and Costco has a fantastic return policy.  Get their executive membership and you get 2% (or maybe it was 1%) cash back at the end of the year.

http://www.vinc.com/site/index.html

I am very, very happy with mine and HD/DVDs look great.  It's been running fine since the beginning of August.

Initial models had some issues with fan noise, but Vizio did on-site repairs to fix that.  Newer production models do not have the fan noise issue.  There is a huge thread on avsforum.com, but probably more than you'd ever want to look at :)  PM me if you have additional questions.

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »
It is going to depend on the size they are looking for which also depends on how far from the set they are sitting.  For tube tv's Sony's are great, for all else they aren't very good. 
Plasma= Pioneer & Panasonic
DLP= Samsung & Mitsubishi
LCD= Sharp & Panasonic
Hitachi also makes a decent set, but blacks are always w/ green tint.

There are others and Costco does have a great return policy they don't like to advertise.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 11:46:21 AM »
I have a sony widescreen tube and outside of it being heavier than shit, I love it

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
I have a Sony KDE 650? i think is the model? anyway. I love it. the Pannies have/had probs with the lamps blowing out, which is what steered me clear of them (family member has one and has replaced 2 lamps in 10months.).

Didn't care for Samsung DLP nor sharp LCD..

6months w/o single issue - great quality (HDTV f'n rox!!!) Sony = A OK in my book.

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 01:09:10 PM »
funny you should ask.  i'm in the market too as the finished basement is almost done and i've narrowed my choices down to these two sets.  the Sony gets nice reviews but the only feedback i can find about the Hitachi is on the Circuit City site and avsforum.com since it was only recently released.  saw both in CC yesterday and had my heart set on the Sony 50" but the salesman showed me the Hitachi for kicks and it looked really sharp.  now i can't decide  :P

Sony 50" KDF-E50A10  http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=129634&c=1 ($2249.00)
Hitachi 50" 50VF820  http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=131140&c=1 ($2049.00 on sale 'til Saturday i was told)

good luck.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 01:56:06 PM »
STAY AWAY FROM SONY PROJECTION SETS!!! 

Mitsubishi and Pioneer Elite are/were the best "rear" projection sets (CRT). 

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 02:00:09 PM »
STAY AWAY FROM SONY PROJECTION SETS!!! 
Mitsubishi and Pioneer Elite are/were the best "rear" projection sets (CRT). 

i was hoping you'd weigh in scervin, i recall your other posts and you seem to have a lot of knowledge on hi-def tv's, this is what i need right now. 

what do you know is bad about the Sony projections?  this is the first i've heard this.  and how do you feel about the Hitachi set i listed?  the only negative i've heard in the limited info i've gathered is they are subject to "blotching" and possible "green spots".

thanks for the insight! +
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 02:04:35 PM by kgreener »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
Sold tv's during the winter months at CC while in school.  Son'ys always came back!  Everyone loved them because of the name.  The guns suck in them!  The green blacks were not my favorite either and they don't allow for easy calibration.  The auto convergence feature is bad as well and it used to be a feature only Sony had.  Now they all do.  If I were to pick a set it would be a Mits (owned one in the past) or Hitachi for rear projection CRT.  See the above if looking into other technologies (DLP, etc).

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
I just noticed those were both LCD projection.  I would really look into DLP rear projection (Mits, Samsung).  Better blacks, greater contrast ratio and no motion blur.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 02:36:50 PM »
well, i'm confused now (not hard to do  :P).  i thought the two sets i've been looking at are rear-projection?  or are you just referring to the DLP technology that i should be checking out? 

btw, here are the only three DLP's at CC (all Samsung) in the 50-60" range (the new cabinet my carpenter just built is 57" across): 

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/Ntt/dlp/Ntk/All/catOid/-12867/N/0+21012867+528/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

is this what i should be looking for?  Also, where do you suggest i look (online or off) for the Mits or Pioneer Elite models?

let me know if we should take this off-line.  i really do appreciate the help.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »
no, don't take it offline.  this is all very helpful!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
Which ever set you decide on make sure you Google for the Service Codes for the tv.  There are a whole shit-ton of options as far as tuning is concerned on most televisions.  Usually the service code is some key pattern on the remote that gets you to the service menus.

If you are looking for a great deal on plasma's I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews (first-hand and internet reviews) on the new Dell's.  Their 50" can be had for $3000 and is expected to drop in the next 2 months.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 02:44:19 PM »
no, don't take it offline.  this is all very helpful!

concur

Scott is a treasure trove of knowledge on this stuff, and this is a market that a lot of people are going to be entering very soon.

+T around
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 03:02:12 PM »
Which ever set you decide on make sure you Google for the Service Codes for the tv.  There are a whole shit-ton of options as far as tuning is concerned on most televisions.  Usually the service code is some key pattern on the remote that gets you to the service menus.

If you are looking for a great deal on plasma's I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews (first-hand and internet reviews) on the new Dell's.  Their 50" can be had for $3000 and is expected to drop in the next 2 months.

While this is true and I thought about mentioning this, I figured I should leave it out.  Messing with these codes can void your warranty and you can also really mess up the picture.  I would suggest you find an ISF certified person to make such adjustments.  I was able to cure the red push in my Mits, but that was all I did.  Contrast, brightness, hue and chroma are the only things I would adjust and can be done in regular menu.  Getting Digital Video essentials is also recommended.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 03:03:34 PM »
to get quality calibration isf had to put a lens in my sony to get true blacks.  they really nailed it with a new lens, but without it- id say the same as scott.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »
Scott, one more question about DLP.  i keep reading that the "screened door effect" potential is greater in a DLP than in a LCD (though i believe it's possible in both).  any thoughts on this?

gracias.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 06:40:42 PM »
Actually, I've found LCD to be worse, but it has gotten better over the years.  It all depends on how far your seeting is.  If you are 2-3x screen width you should be fine.  It may show little on various bright white text, but it's not nearly as bad as the blured running back sprinting down the sideline!

Best thing you can do is go check them all out.  I would suggest looking at mom and pop theater places as big box stores crank the shit out of the brightness to make it look great under lights.  Best thing to do is put the brightness and contrast back down to 50% or so at Best Buy.  If you want to be a real pain, take a THX movie with you and ask to see the DVD on the screen.  Put this THX movie in and go throught the video optimize option and adjust right there.  Really pisses the sales guy off, but it is your $2500!

sc

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 09:30:03 PM »
well said all around, Scott, thanks a bunch. 

+t in another 12!!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 07:39:25 AM »
I was alos looking at the Sony 50" last weekend & almost bought it. I am having a tough time letting go of my Toshiba 36" Cinema Grand HDTV. The picture is incredible but the wife wants a thinner set so we can place it elsewhere in the room. Who am I to argue with a wife who says maybe we should get a plasma so we can hang it on the wall?

The problem is that we really can't get a plasma, I don't want to spend more than $2500 for a TV, microphones-yes, TV-no  ;D We were set shopping last weekend & decided we can't purchase from Best Buy, you can't even see the sets in that place, too crowded. I am still leaning towards the Sony 50" but need to see other sets.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »
Also, what are some good forums to check out regarding sets?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 08:40:22 AM »
We were set shopping last weekend & decided we can't purchase from Best Buy, you can't even see the sets in that place, too crowded. I am still leaning towards the Sony 50" but need to see other sets.

The problem is that we really can't get a plasma, I don't want to spend more than $2500 for a TV, microphones-yes, TV-no  ;D  LOL!

well said...my thoughts exactly.  best buy really turned me off also.  i found myself bumping into people, shelves, etc.  something to be said about a mom & pop or high-end store, maybe not to buy but to at least evaluate.  plus, i've learned these big shelf places crank the contrast and displays to the max so they "stand out" on the showroom floor.  what you see in the store is way different than what you'll see at home. at least CC had one of those "private" rooms designed like a living room/home theater.  that's where I saw the Hitachi 50VF820 and was really captivated by it.  i just can't seem to find enough feedback on this 50VF820 though.  seems last years models had problems with smudging and blotching, which were supposed to be addressed by this new Ultravision line.  who knows...but $2049.99 on sale now is very tempting (but is there a reason for the big sale?  I dunno).

budgetwise, i really don't want to go over $2500 either.  but it's funny that i keep coming back to the Sony KDF-E50A10 ... i've just read so many good things about it (Consumer Reports, AV Forums, etc. all speak highly of it).  Going back to CC this morning to take another look at these two sets (KDF-E50A10 is at $2249.99 now at CC).

oh yeah, some good forums that I've found helpful are:
http://www.avsforum.com
http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php?
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/2.html

good luck! +

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 08:43:27 AM »
Check out Tweeter, that's where I found the Sony. They had it in a private room similar to my living room & it allowed us to sit in chairs the same distance as we would at home & really evaluate the picture. All these pictures unfotunately still do not compare to a QUALITY tube picture  :(

I will check the Hitachi as well, thanks for the tip.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 08:49:12 AM »
Also, while the Sony had great reviews it does not have PIP, doesn't matter to me b/c I never use it but still something worth mentioning.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 09:38:24 AM »
I have a component input on my TV.  Can I run HD into it?  Also I have my DVD player in that input now, is there a splitter or something to run both?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 09:44:17 AM »
www.avsforum.com    best forum for display devices.  The sony does seem to get decent reviews, but again I'm partial to DLP technology.

You can run HD into component input.  If you have a receiver with component switching it is for multiple component devices.  However, if your tv only has 1 component in I find it hard to believe it is HD ready. 

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »
I was alos looking at the Sony 50" last weekend & almost bought it. I am having a tough time letting go of my Toshiba 36" Cinema Grand HDTV. The picture is incredible but the wife wants a thinner set so we can place it elsewhere in the room. Who am I to argue with a wife who says maybe we should get a plasma so we can hang it on the wall?

The problem is that we really can't get a plasma, I don't want to spend more than $2500 for a TV, microphones-yes, TV-no  ;D We were set shopping last weekend & decided we can't purchase from Best Buy, you can't even see the sets in that place, too crowded. I am still leaning towards the Sony 50" but need to see other sets.

Carl,

I'll urge you to run down to Costco and check out that Vizio 50" plasma for $2499.  I know it's slightly beyond your budget (after tax), but the Costco return policy is basically like an extended warranty and that's worth it's weight in gold.  The picture is fantastic and very comparable to the high end Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas.  Chances are, the Costco has one of these setup next to a 'name' brand, so you could see for yourself.  Another great thing about the Vizio is that it has a holy ton of inputs...2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 analog (s-video or composite) and an RGB input.  Oh yeah, it does Picture in Picture as well as picture by picture (divides the screen into two).  I've used that to watch two HD football games on Sunday

I moved from a 32" Sony Wega to the Vizio and am very happy.  There was no way I was going to get a projection set of any kind.  IMO, that would be a step down.

For great reviews (from picky people like ourselves)  ;D check out www.avsforum.com   There is probably in depth reviews of every set you can think of on there.

Later,
   pjdavep

home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 12:26:11 PM »
i chose this one over more expensive samsung and mitsubishi dlp sets (thought the picture was the same or better).  i love it

http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/panasonic-pt50dl54.html

it should be between 2k and 2500 these days

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »
but it's funny that i keep coming back to the Sony KDF-E50A10 ... i've just read so many good things about it (Consumer Reports, AV Forums, etc. all speak highly of it).  Going back to CC this morning to take another look at these two sets (KDF-E50A10 is at $2249.99 now at CC).

I mentioned the Sony KDF-E55A20 in my original post.  I haven't compared the E50A10 to it, but my E55A20 does everything I need it to do like I want it to.  Great DVD display from Onkyo SP-1000 components, great HD cable component display.  I had been set on the Sony 55XS955 and sort of worried about taking home the E55A20 after so much research on the XS, but I haven't been disappointed in the least.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 10:00:03 AM »
I'll urge you to run down to Costco and check out that Vizio 50" plasma for $2499.  I know it's slightly beyond your budget (after tax), but the Costco return policy is basically like an extended warranty and that's worth it's weight in gold.  The picture is fantastic and very comparable to the high end Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas.  Chances are, the Costco has one of these setup next to a 'name' brand, so you could see for yourself.  Another great thing about the Vizio is that it has a holy ton of inputs...2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 analog (s-video or composite) and an RGB input.  Oh yeah, it does Picture in Picture as well as picture by picture (divides the screen into two).  I've used that to watch two HD football games on Sunday
I moved from a 32" Sony Wega to the Vizio and am very happy.  There was no way I was going to get a projection set of any kind.  IMO, that would be a step down.
For great reviews (from picky people like ourselves)  ;D check out www.avsforum.com   There is probably in depth reviews of every set you can think of on there.
Later,
   pjdavep

I looked up this Vizio plasma and read some good things about it, which also led me to discover some things about the Maxent 50" plasma that Best Buy sells which is similar to the Vizio at the same price point.  Thanks for the lead, I would have never known about this.

This brought about some questions about hi-def tv's as a monitor vs. a hi-def with a built-in tuner.  all along i've thought "well of course i'm going to buy one with a tuner built-in...no way i'll get "just" a monitor."  but am i wrong in this thinking?  heck, i've been using an "outboard" cable box from Comcast for my digital TV, and will probably do the same once i get hi-def, especially since i will want DVR capabilities.  So, my feelings now are, maybe not having a built-in ATSC/MTSC tuner is not such a big deal after all?  or will i regret not having one down the line in the future?

i guess the analogy one could use is the same with audio gear... we use outboard preamps/AD converters (V3, UA5, MP2, etc) into our recording devices all the time.  why not do the same with our tv inputs?  this of course includes dvd players, gaming devices, etc. as well cables boxes. 

thoughts anyone?  Gracias.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2005, 10:42:15 AM »
Personally I buy HD monitors.  The HD tuners are only useful if you can get OTA HD (which I do).  I have DTV and run 2 HD boxes (tuner).  My 10' boom antenna in the attic is grabbing all local HD and I get the HD DTV package (may drop it soon).  I have found the OTA HD to be beter than what I get via DTV

If you are using Comcast for HD don't pay the extra for a built-in tuner ($300). 

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2005, 10:49:01 AM »
this is what i wanted to hear.  thanks Scott +t

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »

I looked up this Vizio plasma and read some good things about it, which also led me to discover some things about the Maxent 50" plasma that Best Buy sells which is similar to the Vizio at the same price point.  Thanks for the lead, I would have never known about this.

This brought about some questions about hi-def tv's as a monitor vs. a hi-def with a built-in tuner.  all along i've thought "well of course i'm going to buy one with a tuner built-in...no way i'll get "just" a monitor."  but am i wrong in this thinking?  heck, i've been using an "outboard" cable box from Comcast for my digital TV, and will probably do the same once i get hi-def, especially since i will want DVR capabilities.  So, my feelings now are, maybe not having a built-in ATSC/MTSC tuner is not such a big deal after all?  or will i regret not having one down the line in the future?

I *think* that Costco may carry that Maxent as well....and a quick search of costco.com revealed that they do indeed carry it for $2499.  I was very impressed with the Maxent 42" that I saw at Costco, but I had to go with a 50 incher. :) 

I agree with Scott about not needing a tuner.  It's just something else that can become outdated!  All the cable companies have their own boxes, and DirecTV boxes have built in OTA tuners.  I'm close to the antenna farm and have an antenna in my attic that picks up everything just fine.  Check out www.antennaweb.org to see how far you are from your local antennas.

Later,
   pjdavep

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2005, 12:20:29 PM »
Personally I buy HD monitors.  The HD tuners are only useful if you can get OTA HD (which I do).  I have DTV and run 2 HD boxes (tuner).  My 10' boom antenna in the attic is grabbing all local HD and I get the HD DTV package (may drop it soon).  I have found the OTA HD to be beter than what I get via DTV

agree with scott that OTA HD is markedly better than DTV HD, as I get my locals HD OTA now.  One thing to keep in mind is at least with a couple of the DTV boxes (and maybe for all of them), you could feed it both an antenna feed and a DTV feed and it will decode both and build them both into the on screen guide.  This way, you still really only need a HD Monitor set..

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »

If you are using Comcast for HD don't pay the extra for a built-in tuner ($300). 

but what if you are getting HDTV via cable and using a cable card instead of a box, you need an HD tuner in your set don't you?

edit to say HDTV rather than directv.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 02:51:25 PM by dmonterisi »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »

but what if you are getting dirctTV via cable and using a cable card instead of a box, you need an HD tuner in your set don't you?

I believe so, unless they built a tuner into that cable card

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2005, 01:53:51 PM »
Also you can not purchase any pay per view movies or events if you do not have a cable box.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2005, 02:34:49 PM »
Never been a fan of the cable card.  Now they build them into the front of the tv, but my neighbor calls me over everytime he gets a card update or something goes wrong.  He doesn't like moving his 300 lb tv from above the fireplace alone.   ;D

I guess I haven't really looked into the cable card option.  I'm always looking for the best OTA tuner and have found that in the set top box.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 08:52:17 AM »
i've been out of the TS loop for like the past month as my focus changed entirely to my search for a big screen HDTV, and i finally made my purchase a few weeks ago.  i ended up going with the previously mentioned Maxent MX-50X3 50" plasma and i'm really digging it.  after much research on AVS Forum i decided to take the plunge after learning that most of these units are built with 7th or possibly 8th generation Panasonic glass, as well as the same internals Panny's use that are made by Matsushita.  Bought the unit at Best Buy, as there are only a few places to buy these...Costco, Best Buy and a few others, however some claim the model Best Buy carries is different from what Costco carries, and the BB units are supposed to be of higher quality than the Costco units (the AVS link below explains this though be forewarned, it's a long read).  As mentioned by pjdavep, if you buy from Costco, you might want to check out the Vizio 50" as this unit is supposed to be better than the Costco-carried Maxent 50" (which is a different flavor than what BB carries.  I've also read, for instance, that the 42" Maxent is supposedly not as nice as the 50" Maxent for whatever reasons. Yes, confusing indeed!).  However, I don't have any Costco's near me so I investigated the Maxent 50" instead.

After comparing it head-to-head and side-by-side with other units such as the aforementioned Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips, Zenith, and even the plasma standard Pioneer, I really liked what I saw so I took the plunge for $2599.00.  The day I first saw this thing in the store I didn't realize it was on sale for $2399 and two days later i bought it at $2599 (duh), but it just went back down to $2469 so i got $135 back yesterday from their 30 day price guarantee thingy.  I have 30 days to return it if i don't like it, and i also got the 4 yr. extended warranty for $299 (edit: $399...my bad).  Warranties are something I don't normally do, but since it was a much less expensive unit to begin with, and a new-company-on-the-block, i figured 4 yrs of in-home service for 299 sounds pretty friggin' good, especially since if they can't fix your unit in home, they will give you a new one on the spot.  not bad.

AVS Forum MX-50X3 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=595430&page=1&pp=30&highlight=maxent

fwiw, my pal who recently purchased the highly-rated Panny TH-50PX50U 50" (at $3999) was over for a game the other night and he was blown away with the picture quality and said he felt as if he was sitting at home watching his Panasonic.  We ended up watching other hi-def broadcasts as the game was a blowout (LSU-Miami) and after a few hours he saw nary a difference between his unit and this Maxent.  Oh yeah, I should mention also that I picked up the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD that assisted me in self-calibrating this unit.  I figured it was $35 well spent...

When I first started this HDTV quest i had plasma on my mind, and i had a thing for the Panasonic plasma, but the price tag was just too steep for my budget.  I then looked at LCD's, and while I do like them, with the new finished basement i now have, and the entertaining i do for all types of sporting events, i wanted the widest viewing angle possible for the sometimes 15-20 guys who might be down there watching.  I always ended up coming back to plasma cuz i could see the so screen well from all angles with no degradation of picture quality.  When the Maxent came about it was as if it was meant to be: an affordable, well-built unit that wouldn't break the bank for me.  The money I saved buying this HDTV has now been invested in a new surround unit (Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver and Infiniti TSS-750 surround speaker system).  Instead of 4K for a 50" Panasonic plasma, i now have a 50" plasma and a new sound system.

Hope this helps!
Keith

p.s. a friend just told me the other day Maxent plasmas are mentioned in the latest edition of Budget Living Magazine.  not sure if the write-up is for this exact unit, and the info is not online yet, but just thought i'd mention it anyway: http://www.budgetlivingmedia.com/issue200521/index.php
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 10:19:08 AM by kgreener »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 09:43:19 AM »
Glad you found something!  HD is great and I'm sure you will enjoy the set for many years.  There are many companies out there now sharing parts and info.  The one thing that will differ is QC.

You might think about picking up DVE as well as I have found it better for digital displays.  If you want PM me for more info.

sc

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2006, 05:12:09 PM »
thanks Scott!  yes, QC might become an issue at some point, but i figure as long as i have the 4 yr warranty, i'm impressed with the build quality (which I am), and i like what i'm seeing from this set, i can always either get a new set if this one "breaks" or trade it in for another.  thanks for the pointer about the DVE disc.  i had debated between the two and kept reading Avia, Avia, Avia.  Didn't realize it was made in '99 and was more for tube sets.   though I did have some success with Avia, it makes sense that the DVE disc might be better for digital displays as it was made only a year ago.  i'll have to grab a copy and maybe i'll end up selling my Avia disc instead.

thanks again!
Keith

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
I ended up purchasing the Zenith 50" Plasma because the Maxent was not available. I am pleased with it but do not find the picture bright enough for my liking with the brightness & contrast down around 50% If I could see the Maxent I would have bought it but there were none to be found in my area.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2006, 05:40:49 PM »
Carl, i'm sure with a little self-calibration you'll be able to hone in on what is pleasing to your eyes.  The previously mentioned DVE and Avia discs are a big help with this so you might want to check out that route too.  I've found other factors such as lighting level, window or light reflections, etc. make a big difference in how you view your set.  BTW, what is the source you are using when you say it's not quite bright enough? (Set Top Box? satellite? dvd?)  Also, how are you running it into your set?  (component? HDMI?  AV?)   You might want to try more than one method of feeding the signal in.   On my set I'm liking STB > DVI > HDMI the best, though Component is a close second in picture quality.  And, AV seems to work better on the Standard Def channels than these other two.

I have learned one thing...goddamn have i learned a lot about hi-def in a short period of time!  So much to learn, so many possible combinations, especially when you add in something like a surround receiver.  But I'm having a blast no doubt  :D

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2006, 06:00:28 PM »
I am concerned about the lack of brightness whether it be STB>DVI>HDMI or component. I have looked at DVD's as well as my STB & they all seem a little dark. A tad too dark for my liking. I jack the brightness up it is fine but how will that affect the life of the set? No clue but can't be good!

My SD channels are HORRIBLE, but my signal blows unless it is one of my HDTV channels.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
Returned my Zenith today & bought the Toshiba 50HP95 50" Plasma instead & all I can say is WOW :o :o  I really believe there was a problem with my Zenith b/c after watching the game last night & enjoying the picture I woke this moring to terrible red push that I could not adjust out of it. I would say it was a defect so I returned it.

All that being said the Toshiba blows it away. We replaced a Toshiba 36" Grand Cinema with the Zenith & never found the picture quality we were used to. My wife hated the pq of the Zenith & felt the colors were always off. I figured purchasing another Toshiba would be best b/c of similar feel of the old set. The Toshiba also uses Panasonic glass vs. the LG glass of the Zeniths. Overall I am FINALLY very pleased.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »
awesome dude.  toshiba's are great, and i'm glad you found something to your liking, cuz that's what it's all about, isn't it?   8)
i wish you many year's of happiness with your new device  :)

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
All this talk of new tv's sent me out this afternoon to look for a new flat screen for my bedroom.  I saw this Panasonic at Circuit City:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-37-Plasma-HDTV-TH-37PX50U-/sem/rpsm/oid/122687/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Everything I read online gives it great reviews - I'm curious if anyone could offer some advice on best bang for the buck for a 37 inch plasma or LCD.  37" is the max I can put on the wall in my bedroom where I plan to mount it.  Thanks.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »
No doubt Panasonic has the best glass out there. Pioneer & Toshiba also use their glass. They will typically have the best pictures. I look at the blacks & whites to get a good idea of the pic quality. Go look at them at the store side by side, keep in mind the signal is usually split 80 times so it is crap. Also check the pic settings, they are always jaked up to 80-100% b/c of the bright showroom lights. Drop the contrast & brightness down to 50% or so & watch TV for a while, you will see what you like then in as close a setting to your own house.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2006, 06:33:02 AM »
still lovin my Sony every day...just wish it wasn't so big!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
How about the Dell line?  Does anyone have experience with their TV's?  Thanks.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »
How about the Dell line?  Does anyone have experience with their TV's?  Thanks.

Two different friends bought the Dell 50" within the last 6 weeks.  Both got them for $3k (shipping included)

One of them says that he thinks it smokes his 42" Samsung but not quite as good as the Pioneer his brother has which was twice as much $$$.

The second friend went from a Sony LCD to the Dell and says for the price it was the best purchase he's made for his home theatre.  He sold the Sony on ebay right after Christmas.

The thing about Dell is that they put out a good product (not the best but good) they they saturate the market with low prices to gain market share.  I only see this as benefitting me the consumer.  I am waiting for the 50" to drop below $3000 and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
2 more questions if anyone can help.  I think I may go with the 37" Panasonic, but the previous Dell comments may change my mind.

1) Is it worth it to have Circuit City install the thing?  They want $350 just for the labor on the install.  I think it only requires mounting the bracket on the wall and pulling wire.

2) Extended warranty.  They want $400 to extend the warranty to 5 years.  Their selling point is new technology, not sure if it's worth the $$.

Thanks.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »
The install is up to you if you are handy, if not have them.  The ESP is another story, I personally never buy them, but for this type of large purchase I probably would.  I did on my 55" Mits.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
2 more questions if anyone can help.  I think I may go with the 37" Panasonic, but the previous Dell comments may change my mind.

1) Is it worth it to have Circuit City install the thing?  They want $350 just for the labor on the install.  I think it only requires mounting the bracket on the wall and pulling wire.
Thanks.

Why would you pay them to install when you've got Bob Villa living around the corner?

I mean come on, this guy can get anything done..  and on a budget!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2006, 04:47:19 PM »
I am going to buy my warranty from these guys at half the cost. I think a awarranty is a good investment for home service alone.

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/productlist.asp?subcategoryid=67

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.258 seconds with 80 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com