Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD>901 question  (Read 2811 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
DVD>901 question
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:33:18 PM »
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm playing back 24/96 thru the digi input and the 48Khz light is on ???  I'm kinda :-[ to ask why, is there a reason for this? Maybe the dvd output isn't set right?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 07:41:25 AM by ts »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: 901 question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:42:21 PM »
if the 48kHz light is on, it's receiving a 48kHz signal.  in all likelyhood, it's because the DVD is downsampling it.  what DVD player are you using?  with some, you just need to be sure that you have the right setting.  other DVD players completely dis-allow 24/96 digital output, and limit the digi outs to 24/48 or even 16/48...

Offline ts

Re: 901 question
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:53 PM »
The DVD player has 2 audio output settings. Dolby digital or PCM. Have it set on PCM on the 48 light still comes on. Time for a newer DVD player? This ones the first gen Sony recorder, purchased in '03. Has lots of settings, but if that 48K light is on, it must be doing some downsampling.

Just checked it again. Digi out is on and set to PCM. Also has a downmix setting, which is on dolby surround, wonder if thats whats messin it up.... I need to play around with it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:29:49 PM by ts »

Offline ts

Re: DVD>901 question
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 07:46:53 AM »
Played around some more with this and it's obvious my Sony DVD(1st gen recorder)won't output 24/96 thru the digi out. The onscreen display says it's 24/96 but the 901 says it's ??/48.

How do you even know if it's 24/48? Secondly, what DVD players will output 24/96 and how do know you they will? Go to the retailer with your 901 and plug it in ;). Just trying to add some humor here, a little pissed off at the situation :laugh:

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 08:10:05 AM »
yeah, it can be frustrating.  when I was out buying a DVD player that would play DVD-Audio, I wanted to be sure that it would output a digital 24/96 signal.  I made them guys in the store open up the manual (for many different players), and I went through with them all the settings to be sure that it'd work as I wanted it to.  I ended up with the Denon 2200.  There's a setting on mine that will make it always downsample to 16/48, and even with this setting disabled, it'll still downsample to 16/48.

the 901 doesn't have a light for 16 bit or 24 bit incoming data.  on mine, I'm sure that it's actually sending a 24 bit signal for a couple of reaosns.  first off, playing a 24/96 disc shows up on my 901 as 96kHz.  so I know it's not downsampling.  and there is no setting on my DVD player that would allow a 16 bit, 96kHz output, so logically, I know that the 901 is seeing a 24/96 signal.  based on that fact, I'm confident that my 24/48 material is being played as such, and not being outputted as 16/48 (although I have no way to actually verify this).  the other way to be sure that the full 24 bit signal is being sent out of the DVD player is to just listen to it.  with the 901 and my grado headphones, I can tell the difference without too much difficulty, the difference between a 16 bit and a 24 bti signal.

So, to answer your second question, the Denon DVD players will output a 24/96 signal.  I know there are others as well.  you'd have to check the manuals and hopefully they'll be explicit in what kind of digital signal is sent out under what player settings.  also, I'd say that you should feel free to take your 901 with you to stores.  I brought mine with me when I was deciding between the grados and the sennheiser headphones.  just tell them that whatever player you buy, you want to be sure that'll it'll work with your existing equipment,  shouldn't be a problem...

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:00:44 AM »
Thanks Jason. I justed posted on Oade, jokingly suggesting I bring the 901 to a retailer ::). That now looks like the smartest move :) Problem is I only have big box retailers where I live. Could you see the dOOd at Best Buy when I pull a 901 out of my back pack ???.

Hoping Doug will respond to my post over there and suggest one of his players for purchase, like a Sony ES. Nothing against Denon, but I can't buy that stuff where I live, and I don't want to order online not knowing what the output is. I searched for your 2200, is it discontinued? What other Denon models would work?

Thanks, Tony

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 10:39:32 AM »
yeah, when was first shopping for a DVD player, I went to best buy, started talking about DVD-Audio, realized that the people there had no idea what I was talking about, and just left.  I ended up buying my denon from a Tweeter store.  those are fairly common, so I'm surprised you don't have near you.  but anyway, Doug sells many DVD players, and I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.  and as for my Denon 2200 , yes, I think it is dicontinued.  I think they replaced with the 2910.  while I'm not 100% sure, I'd think that starting with the 1920 and up (1920, 2910, 3910, or 5910) would all work for you.  (that's also quite a price range).  in any case, I'd talk with Doug or someone else at oade.com and see whats best for you.

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 12:40:28 PM »
Just talked to Doug. No Sony will play 24/96 DVDa thru the digi out.:o He said something like, Sony plays DVDa but as an MP3 and upsamples it to 48k? Or at least that's what I thought he said. He had another call on hold and could'nt go into to much detail. He said Denon or Marantz. With Denon he suggested the 2910. But in another thread some were saying the Denons have a problem playing back dvd -r's burned with certain software? I use DVD Audio Creator and have'nt had any playback issues, other than being fooled into thinking I was hearing 24/96. The 901 proved that.

So my final question on this topic. Will a Denon 2910 loaded with a DVD-r, burned with DVD Audio Creator at 24/96, using the coax digi out>Grace 901>headphones, allow me to here my recordings the way I intended them to heard? :P

Thanx, ts
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 07:28:40 PM by ts »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »
So my final question on this topic. Will a Denon 2910 loaded with a DVD-r, burned with DVD Audio Creator at 24/96, using the coax digi out>Grace 901>headphones, allow me to here my recordings the way I intended them to heard? :P
Thanx, Jason.

unfortunately, I think the only way to be sure is just to try it.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 08:03:34 PM »
Thanx, Jason.

unfortunately, I think the only way to be sure is just to try it.

looks that way, doesn't it :-\

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com