Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Playback Questions: Source (?) > PHP-850 preamp > HCA-1200II amp > VR-4's  (Read 22318 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
the HDD route, you just need a good DAC., and that basicaly nails it.  a great DAC is just like that great class A deck.  You can feed it anything (sans SACD), from any deck or PC or hand-held type thing.  I use a 2m glass toslink cable to connect my $24 chainteck 24/96 card direct to my DAC.  viola.
Control that PC over the network, and use my laptop as a remote.    Pretty sweet.

I've got a Panasonic DVD-RV32 that I haven't used in a couple years.  It has a digital out, and it looks like it plays DVD-Video, DVD-R, Video CD, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, and WMA formats. 

It does not play DVD-Audio, PAL discs *, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, CDV, CD-G, + RW, DVD-RW, CVD, SVCD, SACD, Divx Video Discs and Photo CD.  So, it looks like the big loss would be the lack of DVD-a.

If I'm reading this correctly, it outputs a 24/96 signal for non-copyrighted discs:

Digital output [DVD]

Change the settings when you have connected equipment through this unit's DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal (OPTICAL).

PCM Down Conversion

Select how to output the high-quality 96-kHz audio signals on discs that do not have copyright protection.

No (Factory preset):
Output as 96 kHz. The equipment you connect must be compatible with these signals.

Yes:
Down-sampled to 48 kHz/16 bit. 

If I've interpreted this correctly, it appears that I may be able to make this deck work for 24-bit playback by using "Audio DVD Creator" to burn audio as a DVD-V format for about $35, or I think Wavelab 5 will work as well.  In which case, I would have my "source" and could put the $$ towards a DAC.  What are the options for a ~$350 DAC?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:35:40 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
What are the options for a ~$350 DAC

If you're lucky, you could win a Benchmark DAC-1 early next week and spend the $350 elswhere..
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/giveaway/

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Matt,
Most speaker cables are not shielded.  Some cable companies have engineered speaker cables with shielding, but you may want to do little research on the internets about shielded speaker cables before going that route.  Whichever you decide on, using eight separate cables in a bii-wire setup will not pose any problems. 

I would recommend using a set of spades and a set of banana plugs (on each channel) at the amp end.  I think it's an easier connection to make and possibly a little more secure. 

Chris

Thanks for the info, Chris.  +T

I've been reading up since my post & decided to stick with the HD cable for starters.  I need to read up some more on the possibilities of using the silver for speaker cables.  The thing I'm still uncertain of re: the HD cables is the conductor assignments.  Lots of talk about two conductors to the (+) and one to the (-) vs. one conductor to the (+) and two to the (-) vs. one conductor to both the (+) and the (-) and floating one cable, etc., etc., etc.

Am I correct in that the 22 awg silver clad cable will be sufficient for the interconnects, though?  I read something along these lines today, but can't remember the specifics.

Yes, the silver clad cable will work for interconnects.  I can't comment on the HD-14/3 conductor assignments, though.   On your front end dilemna, I would spend the $350 on a Rega P1 a new dvd player and then pursue the wireless route.  $350 only goes so far.  A good source is essential for good sound.

Chris

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
nope, my laptop is the remote, using VNC to control a "dummy" PC that has some big drives in it.  that has the digi output which then goes into my stereo. 

We have the same setup, Nick. :)

me too.  no digital output though.  I think I'm going w/ the squeezebox soon though.  I'm just using windows remote desktop tho.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:03:44 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper

If you're lucky, you could win a Benchmark DAC-1 early next week and spend the $350 elswhere..

Big +T for that!  It would be sweet to win one  :o

It would be nice if the Squeezebox accepted a digital signal.  Then I could use my Panasonic DVD player optical out > SB for discs, and run the SB wireless from my computer as well.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
$350 is a hard budget for a good front end.  If you could double it...then you'll get somewhere.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
$350 is a hard budget for a good front end.  If you could double it...then you'll get somewhere.

I gotta start somewhere.  Realistically, I can make due with my dvd player if I must, but I'll probably get either the Denon or Pioneer DVD players that have the Burr Brown DAC's.  I'd love to go disc-less, but I think it's going to take some research on my part & more $$$ than I'm looking to spend right off the bat.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.

I gotta start somewhere.  Realistically, I can make due with my dvd player if I must, but I'll probably get either the Denon or Pioneer DVD players that have the Burr Brown DAC's.  I'd love to go disc-less, but I think it's going to take some research on my part & more $$$ than I'm looking to spend right off the bat.

I think you'd be surprised.  If you're going to go diskless eventually, you might want to consider just doing so now, as you could just be wasting money on a player you won't be using when you go diskless (not to mention, burning disks you aren't going to use...)

I've got 2 320gb drives ($99/each at Best Buy) in which I set up exactly what brian links to above - the redundancy without RAID.   I'm running it in a 1ghz machine that I got from my work for free, but 1ghz machines can be had used on ebay for SUPER cheap... like $50.    If you've got a network already, just throw that machine on it, and share the drives.   SB3 for $300, and you into it for not too much more than $350.  Of course, if you have to install a network, that would increase the price a bit, but not more than $100, I'd imagine.  If you consider that you might be dumping a lot of money on a player, just to then switch to an SB3 a bit later, you'll be better financially in teh long run to just go with the SB3.

Also, don't know if you noticed, but the SB3 has the Brown Burrs.

I went diskless in November, and I've been loving it ever since.  And I loved using CDs. When I'm watching sports (which I do all the time), I just use EAC to rip my cds to FLAC, tag them, make an album playlist, and then move them to the main large HD.  Slim server automatically updates at midnight, so its available rather quickly on Slimserver.   Then, it copies over to the second drive at around 3am.

I'd recommend setting up slimserver, even if you don't have an SB3.  That'll give you an idea of just how cool it could be.   Having the ability to stream my whole collection (as decent quality Mp3s, which are encoded from the flacs on the fly using the lame decoder) totally rules.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:42:57 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
here's another option... if you're going to eventually go diskless, go cheap on your player.   If they are still available, look into the Toshiba 3960 or 4960.  Mechanically, mine was a total POS, but it sounded very good (Burr Browns), and was about $50.   Played everything.   That way, you don't spend a lot on something you think you'll be abandoning soon.

hth

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
For speaker wire, I would have to reccomend going this route (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72088.0.html). I finally finished mine yesterday and WHOAH! Unbelieveable after experimenting with many different DIY and manufactured cables! And they aren't even broken-in yet! My VR-2s have never sounded so good!
I have these set-up as shotgun with four separate cables to each speaker. I tried to add techflex to these, but the wires are so stiff that it just wasn't working out for an eight foot run. I have a couple pix that I can add later tonight...
The only spades I could find that would accomodate these giants are from Vampire Wire (6ga. spades)! They were a bitch to crimp, but finally got them done! Of course I will know more once they are finally broken in, but so far I am very impressed!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

yup.  thats what i'm using too.  awesome stuff.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
I'd imagine it's long gone by now, but it's nice looking stock.  I sent them an email to see.  Thanks for the heads up.  +T's to the thread for the good advice.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
I'd imagine it's long gone by now, but it's nice looking stock.  I sent them an email to see.  Thanks for the heads up.  +T's to the thread for the good advice.

I guess I should have looked to see if he was still selling the stuff. Sorry! Hopefully you can find some of this stuff! It's only been about 24hours breaking in, and I'm already blown away! Good luck and BTW, I am still loving my interconnects in my recording rig...

Offline Nick's Picks

it pops up from time to time...
and there would be no trouble using smaller versions of this as well.

this right here would kick ass:  http://tinyurl.com/y5ldgs
http://tinyurl.com/t7fr6, nice shotgun wire.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:24:33 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
it pops up from time to time...
and there would be no trouble using smaller versions of this as well.

this right here would kick ass:  http://tinyurl.com/y5ldgs
http://tinyurl.com/t7fr6, nice shotgun wire.

I've been watching the quad.  I emailed the seller to see if they'd sell it early, but they want to wait it out.  We'll see.

I was reading up on my gear, and Parasound doesn't recommend using anything bigger than 12 awg, fwiw.  The 14 awg quad would be great.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com