Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Playback Questions: Source (?) > PHP-850 preamp > HCA-1200II amp > VR-4's  (Read 22319 times)

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Speaker cable runs longer than 8' are no problem.  I think what you are reading about is optimum speaker cable length.  There is a theory that 8' lengths of speaker cable sound the best, particularly when compared against short runs of one or two feet.  This doesn't really come into play unless you are dealing with outboard crossovers that are placed at the base of the speakers.

Chris

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Speaker cable runs longer than 8' are no problem.  I think what you are reading about is optimum speaker cable length.  There is a theory that 8' lengths of speaker cable sound the best, particularly when compared against short runs of one or two feet.  This doesn't really come into play unless you are dealing with outboard crossovers that are placed at the base of the speakers.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.  That's good news.  The 8' runs weren't working out for me. 

+T
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Trust me you do NOT need to change from AKG's, the people who complain about them usually do not have a full range system. On a nice system they sound very very good. Don't believe the hype, you are fine especially if you are running those puppies DIN.

As far as speaker wires go, there is no real set length that you can max out on but keeping all your cable runs as short as possible will always help.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
Trust me you do NOT need to change from AKG's, the people who complain about them usually do not have a full range system. On a nice system they sound very very good. Don't believe the hype, you are fine especially if you are running those puppies DIN.

As far as speaker wires go, there is no real set length that you can max out on but keeping all your cable runs as short as possible will always help.

I hear you.  I was toying with the idea of getting some DPA's for the ease of setup & the great sound, but I can't justify the cost for the marginal increase in sound quality.  The JW Mod 460's are sounding great to my ears with the new playback (even on the old).  More so, it was just the itch for an active setup than the sound issue.   

As for speaker cable runs, I'm going to go with 10' runs.  8' was a tad too short for my setup and was putting some strain on the spades/binding posts.  I may bump up to 12', so I have a little more mobility with speaker arrangement.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline carlbeck

I hear you.  I was toying with the idea of getting some DPA's for the ease of setup & the great sound, but I can't justify the cost for the marginal increase in sound quality.  The JW Mod 460's are sounding great to my ears with the new playback (even on the old).  More so, it was just the itch for an active setup than the sound issue.   

As for speaker cable runs, I'm going to go with 10' runs.  8' was a tad too short for my setup and was putting some strain on the spades/binding posts.  I may bump up to 12', so I have a little more mobility with speaker arrangement.

Do NOT even get me going on the DPA's, worst money I ever spent. I never should have sold my MK 4's for them or my 480's or my V3 or my MMe or my 248 or my 148 now that I think about it  :-X

It's easy to get seduced by a simple active set up but don't do it!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

My point being that until you get your reference system dialed do not buy or sell any piece of gear until you can REALLY hear it, trust me.

Nick & I still laugh at how much we though we were hearing when we had Kenwood, Polk & the like. No offense against any of those components or anyone who has them but you really can't hear what is going on. They color everything way too much & we thought it was pretty accurate! I sold some stuff I NEVER should have sold because of it.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
Brad or Nick-

Any chance you recall the diameter of the 6 awg silver cable?  I'm thinking about picking up some techflex to try and cover it.  I know Brad mentioned it was a bitch to do, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I hear you Carl.  I almost sold some of my gear to fund the playback, but after piecing the playback together I'm glad I didn't.  I'll be holding onto it for a while.  Damn playback is almost as much of an addiction as taping!   ;D  My wife's about ready to start making me wear earplugs when listening to the system, though.  She didn't realize it was going to be so loud.   :yack:

Offline carlbeck

There are times in my life where it is MORE addiciting than taping  >:D

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Brad or Nick-

Any chance you recall the diameter of the 6 awg silver cable?  I'm thinking about picking up some techflex to try and cover it.  I know Brad mentioned it was a bitch to do, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I hear you Carl.  I almost sold some of my gear to fund the playback, but after piecing the playback together I'm glad I didn't.  I'll be holding onto it for a while.  Damn playback is almost as much of an addiction as taping!   ;D  My wife's about ready to start making me wear earplugs when listening to the system, though.  She didn't realize it was going to be so loud.   :yack:

I purchased some 3/4" Techflex, but it was still a bit roomy. I think 1/2" would be nice and tight, but I don't have any 1/2" to test. I know this doesn't answer you completely, but hope it helps a little...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
I purchased some 3/4" Techflex, but it was still a bit roomy. I think 1/2" would be nice and tight, but I don't have any 1/2" to test. I know this doesn't answer you completely, but hope it helps a little...

Were you running two cables through the 3/4" or single runs, Brad?

+T's to the thread for helping me with yet another addition.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
remember...that stuff expands 5x its stated width.
1/2 will open up pretty wide.  thats what I used (two cables going through, twisted)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
btw, I bet your new system will have you really thinking about dumping the AKGs and just sticking w/that LSD2.  screw actives.  lets see someone defend themselves w/DPAs or Schempz.
Your better off w/the investment lopsided on the playback end of things.  LSD is a damn'd fine mic. 
ok, studio projects fluffing aside....

Offline carlbeck

btw, I bet your new system will have you really thinking about dumping the AKGs 

::)

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
remember...that stuff expands 5x its stated width.
1/2 will open up pretty wide.  thats what I used (two cables going through, twisted)

Do you know the diameter of the cable, Nick?  Was there any room left with the 1/2"?  I've got some 1/4" that opens to 7/16".  The 3/8" opens to 5/8", and the 1/2" opens to 3/4" is what it says.

btw, I bet your new system will have you really thinking about dumping the AKGs and just sticking w/that LSD2.  screw actives.  lets see someone defend themselves w/DPAs or Schempz.
Your better off w/the investment lopsided on the playback end of things.  LSD is a damn'd fine mic. 
ok, studio projects fluffing aside....

I'm interested in running some 4 mic mixes with split ck62's + the LSD2 M/S.  I think that could be an interesting combination. 

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722

Were you running two cables through the 3/4" or single runs, Brad?

+T's to the thread for helping me with yet another addition.

Mine was running four cables through the 3/4" Techflex (shotgun wiring)! I opted for no Techflex since the cable was just too stiff and with an 8ft. run, I would only be using about 4ft of Techflex. I saw no need for it! Let us see a pic of the cables once you are done! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts also...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com