Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The TRUTH about the CO2...  (Read 4044 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
The TRUTH about the CO2...
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:49:10 PM »
Does anyone have it?

I always see these units badmouthed. Do they suck?

I use one with no obvious problems. We have even chained two together.

Has anyone done any tests similar to the recent tests on the RS COAX>TOS converter?

It's also worth noting that I have seen at least 2 cosmetically different versions of the CO2.

Mine is black with yellow letters. My friend's is silver...a different case (same size)...different lettering. You have to wonder if they are also different inside...?

The RS unit and the CO2 can't be radically different in the way they operate...just curious if there have been some conclusive tests done?

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: The TRUTH about the CO2...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:17:38 PM »
i think ??jamie lutch?? tested the co2 > jb3 right????

i had a co2 a looong time ago and it was the silver/grey model. maybe the black model is newer?

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 08:48:05 AM »
I need to go through my archive files from a long ways back, but I remember Lutch doing some tests with these showing that one would get unpredictable dropouts and sample loss.  In testing these I recall him essentially doing transfers and comparing the bit perfect originals to the files that came through the jb3 on these.  The co2 was determined to be the source of the problem, not the jb3, though the jb3 can be pretty finicky as well.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 09:33:31 AM »
Lutch's tests are documented in the dat-heads archives.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 09:39:17 AM »
Does anyone have it?

I always see these units badmouthed. Do they suck?

I don't own one, but there's quite a bit of anecdotal evidence of people experiencing problems, and some very controlled testing performed by Jamie Lutch indicating the unit has problems.  Head over to the NJB3 Yahoo Group to see his test results in the Files section.  As MGB suggests, his results may be archived on Dat-Heads, too.

I use one with no obvious problems. We have even chained two together.

Great, glad it works for you.  Personally, I wouldn't trust it - but if you're happy, that's what counts.

Has anyone done any tests similar to the recent tests on the RS COAX>TOS converter?

See above.  Though IMO the very brief testing of the RS DFC is not nearly enough IMO to declare bit-transparency.

It's also worth noting that I have seen at least 2 cosmetically different versions of the CO2.

Mine is black with yellow letters. My friend's is silver...a different case (same size)...different lettering. You have to wonder if they are also different inside...?

Could be different.  Crack 'em open for us and find out?

The RS unit and the CO2 can't be radically different in the way they operate...just curious if there have been some conclusive tests done?

See above.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 09:44:14 AM »
If you are going to use one of these things, at least document the fact in your tape lineage so that others can make an informed decision about accepting that source.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:47:13 AM by Maynard G. Beatnik »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 11:24:27 AM »
I owned a CO2 for about 2 days.  Long enough to figure out it would gimme drop outs from a DVD>CO2>Nomad 3 transfer I was doing.  I used a total of 3 hours and got several dozen drop-outs.  I ended up giving it away to some newbie MD taper, saying if he could get it to work, he could have it.

I bought a Hosa ODL276 afterwards and have never noticed a problem.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 12:12:35 PM »
I guess it's worth noting that I use another Midiman product (Flying Calf)  in front of my CO2...perhaps they like each other since they are made by the same company...

And - Yes I do note lineage in everything I seed...

My sig line in hyerlinked to pictures and specs of my gear...I wish more people would do that...

It seems like when I tried to research this issue...it ended up being inconclusive...I remember one person postulating that the CO2 may not like the SPDIF implementation in certain devices...?

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 12:35:03 PM »

My sig line in hyerlinked to pictures and specs of my gear...I wish more people would do that...

surely you jest.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:44:42 PM »

I have/had one.  It "seemed" to work fine out of my V3.  I would NOT work out of my Panasonic SV-3700, but DOES work out of my Sony D-10 Pro.  It would NOT work out of a DAP1 I patched 2 years ago, and I experienced some random weirdness with it a number of times, coming out of various gear.

Being that I would ONLY use it out of my V3 now (that I have my own rig again as of last XMas), it would "probably" work - but there's enough anecdotal evidence from other users that have tested this thing damn near to DEATH, to tell me that it's just too inconsistant to trust in anything but limited circumstances.

I now have the Hosa AES & SPDIF boxes for those RARE circumstances where I might find myself patching someone elses rig (like not being FIRST OUT on a board patch)...

Rick

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 06:59:10 PM »
the Hosa AES & SPDIF boxes

bingo, me too.
we all live downstream.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 08:03:38 PM »
once you go hosa, you never go gback

i used to run an odl-312 aes>optical hosa, now i just have the odl-276 which is coax>optical for the rare circumstances i patch which is never :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 07:49:17 PM »
I bought a c02 in 99? when I started MD taping. never really used it until this year when I was borrowing a friends MD boxes of masters... transferred a ton of em to DAT, needed to convert his optical to coax for my DA20Mkii. no problems at all. except some of his old MD's would skip! might been his old player... (like a 1998 Sharp unit I think!).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com