Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Behringer mixing boards?  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re:Behringer mixing boards?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2003, 07:01:47 PM »
Steely Dan album?!?!  Okay, then this is the thing for you:
http://www.coopersound.com/CS208v2fr.htm

Honestly, if you're going through that many mackie mixers I would've certainly written them about it.  We run a 1402, a couple of 1604s, SR24/4, and the Cooper and we've had no problems with the pods and faders (until someone accidentally pushed a monitor on top of the desk ???).  I guess you win some and then you lose some.

My point was that when you're paying $100 for a compact mixer, don't get upset when a few months down the road it starts to fall apart...

Back in the 1980's (when Steely Dan was all the rage), I know most of you weren't even a glint in your mother's eye then  ;) , I used to do live sound on a Sunn 1602. It was "the Bomb" back then for bar bands. It cost a pretty good chunk of change too. It was pretty noisy by today's standards, but I was happy with it.  I'm not sure why I'm rambling on like this.... Oh yeah...
I just got a board for $100 bucks that blows that old Sunn board out of the water and I'm getting shit for it.

If this Behringer board lasts a year I figure I'm ahead.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2003, 07:42:47 PM »
Dude, I dont see why people have such issues with Behringer. Their stuff has NEVER given me any problems, and im rough as hell on stuff.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2003, 08:06:08 PM »
Dude, I dont see why people have such issues with Behringer. Their stuff has NEVER given me any problems, and im rough as hell on stuff.

Alex, you must have a good bit of rebel in you like me. Using those Superlux's that cost 1/10th the price of microphones some folks use. I always cheer for the underdog. The underdog doesn't always prevail, but when he does it makes me feel good.

I wish I had lots of coin to drop on a digital mixer with all the bells and whistles. I don't. But I just bought a mixer that cost less than the sushi dinner I had with my wife last Friday. I looked into the bottom of the toilet the next day at what I had after that expenditure. I suspect my Behringer MX1604A mixer will be with me a bit longer than that.  ;D
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2003, 08:28:49 PM »

Alex, you must have a good bit of rebel in you like me. Using those Superlux's that cost 1/10th the price of microphones some folks use. I always cheer for the underdog. The underdog doesn't always prevail, but when he does it makes me feel good.

I wish I had lots of coin to drop on a digital mixer with all the bells and whistles. I don't. But I just bought a mixer that cost less than the sushi dinner I had with my wife last Friday. I looked into the bottom of the toilet the next day at what I had after that expenditure. I suspect my Behringer MX1604A mixer will be with me a bit longer than that.  ;D

AMEN!!!

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2003, 02:20:36 PM »
The Behringer boards aren't bad at all.  I'll post a sample of a live mix I did with one on tour if anyone's interested -- you'd be surprised at the quality.

My only complaint was that the pre didn't seem to handle the vocal mic very well (Neumann KMS105), so I had to do some creative compression/EQ to make it sound good...  Otherwise, very solid boards.

If you're going to do multitrack recording, though, you have to have a board with direct outs.. Allen and Heath boards ($950+) are great for that, BUT -- Alesis used to have some boards that did it with good quality (Not quite Mackie fidelity on the pres, but better than a Behringer)..  most "crosstalk" and "noise" complaints were just shitty effects routing..

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2003, 04:42:48 PM »
i have another local buddy who just made some killer recordings with the mx802a, the same mixer as i have

he used 3 sennehiser (sp?) mics to mic the drums and to inputs from all the amps and such, it sounds way better than i thought this bourd could!

il be using mine for the first "real" time here next weekend, and il have the entire weekend to sit down and get teverything right. so il definantly offer some recordings or samples of the band il be recording (southern bbq trip- bbqtrip.com)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com