Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-88  (Read 23994 times)

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: Roland R-88
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
My guess is you got lucky having two seperate machines with the same clock.  I had two ua5's > h120 rigs that matched up perfectly every time!
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:02 AM »
thoughts on the R-88?

i have an Oade CM R-44, LOVE IT.  thinking about going for a R-88.

anyone actually used one?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
I'm playing around with an R-88.  Anyone else currently using one?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
This is where your field experience and mine will diverge.  I have also synced my R-44 many times with acidjack's as well as running tests with just a 1/8" TRS cable to master>slave them and they have NEVER clock-synced 8 (or 6) tracks unless we have connected the SPDIF either directly or through another device running as a master clock (a USBPre); I'm not talking about an analog patch, mind you.  I suppose this is one of those "YMMV" situations.  Pretty sure this may have also been addressed in the R-44 thread without any solid confirmation either way from Roland but I can't recall.

Old thread, old news- but it's been reported that the key to keeping clock sync with master>slave linked R-44s is to turn off pre-record on both machines.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »
As per the R-88, what the use is mixing on the machine when you can't adjust delay????

Delay is adjustable per input channel when recording.

It was my hope that delay could also be adjusted per output channel upon playback, but that does not appear to be the case.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
This is where your field experience and mine will diverge.  I have also synced my R-44 many times with acidjack's as well as running tests with just a 1/8" TRS cable to master>slave them and they have NEVER clock-synced 8 (or 6) tracks unless we have connected the SPDIF either directly or through another device running as a master clock (a USBPre); I'm not talking about an analog patch, mind you.  I suppose this is one of those "YMMV" situations.  Pretty sure this may have also been addressed in the R-44 thread without any solid confirmation either way from Roland but I can't recall.

Old thread, old news- but it's been reported that the key to keeping clock sync with master>slave linked R-44s is to turn off pre-record on both machines.

Affirmative.

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com