Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 FAQ -- Updated 8-01-2008  (Read 65063 times)

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09 FAQ -- Please Help and Contribute!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »
17. Phantom power, no.  It does have an option to provide plug power at 3.3v volts which is enough to run many mics such as the AT-853. This power is not enough for very loud sound levels with AT-853.

^
3.3v is what is stated in the manual, but Nuetrino & SunWizard both measured the mic powering at 2.49v.  I'm not certain if this varies depending on the battery type used.

~Digital out is an optical 1/8" jack (shared with the analog/headphone out)
~The digital/analog out is active for during recording when enabled via a menu.
~4GB cards can be formated by connecting the recorder to the computer via the USB cable, no external reader is required to format.
~BodyGlove cellphone case fits well and is much less expensive than the Edirol case.
~Big red recording light and ways to dim it: tape/nail polish on the LED (requires disassembly), tape on the button, tape on the clear cover of the case.
~Display brightness can be adjusted from bright to dim & will return to the dimmest setting (but not completely off) after a specified time via menu setting.
   It is not especially dim in a dark room (where darker or off would be nice), nor is the bright setting very readable in direct sunlight (needs shading to view).

I'm sure there's plenty more but that just comes to mind..

EXCELLENT! Thanks! I just added.

Can you provide a link to the body glove cell phone case you recommended?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »
Body Glove neoprene mesh Cell Suit case recomended by Eskin way back on page 2 of the origional release info thread> http://www.bodyglove.com/products/product_buy.php?uselist=showcase&selected_prod=http%3A%2F%2Fbodyglove.mwrc.net%2Fxml%2Fen%2Fproduct.xml%3Fproduct_id%3D9180%26include_offline_products%3Dyes%26include_offline_retailers%3Dyes

Modifications to the case for side button, hold & headphone jack access> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68518.msg939736#msg939736

Stereo separation & imaging of the internal mics can be greatly improved with a simple folding Jecklin-like baffle> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70134.msg939775#msg939775
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 10:00:50 AM »
Body Glove neoprene mesh Cell Suit case recomended by Eskin way back on page 2 of the origional release info thread> http://www.bodyglove.com/products/product_buy.php?uselist=showcase&selected_prod=http%3A%2F%2Fbodyglove.mwrc.net%2Fxml%2Fen%2Fproduct.xml%3Fproduct_id%3D9180%26include_offline_products%3Dyes%26include_offline_retailers%3Dyes

Modifications to the case for side button, hold & headphone jack access> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68518.msg939736#msg939736

Stereo separation & imaging of the internal mics can be greatly improved with a simple folding Jecklin-like baffle> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70134.msg939775#msg939775

Excellent! Added with many thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:34:37 PM »
Careful with that input jack, Eugene.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 08:23:29 PM »
anyone opened one of these yet?
it would be great to get some pics.
you all know of my past history of opening stuff (the dremel debacle). So, I'll leave that adventure to the more qualified.

Pics were already in the FAQ btw...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »
anyone opened one of these yet?
it would be great to get some pics.
you all know of my past history of opening stuff (the dremel debacle). So, I'll leave that adventure to the more qualified.

More info on sucessfull opening technique: Open says 'uh' me

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 05:17:04 PM »
If you want to add a general entry about battery life I just did a test with 3 different types of batteries over the weekend.  Regular Duracells Vs. 2 kinds of 2700 mAh NiMH.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72305.0
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 08:54:39 PM »
If you want to add a general entry about battery life I just did a test with 3 different types of batteries over the weekend.  Regular Duracells Vs. 2 kinds of 2700 mAh NiMH.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72305.0

Thanks, added to FAQ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
Great info here, thanks.How do you split / merge tracks on the R09? Sorry if this was covered, the thread is kinda large ;-)
You don't.
The recorder itself can be used to record, delete & rename files.  Splitting/merging tracks must be done in post.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 09:21:30 AM »
Thanks Gut, I currently place track marks on my MD so I've never done it on the PC, will Nero do that?

Guys, wrong thread to discuss this MD stuff, please move elsewhere and delete your posts.  Thanks!:)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 11:19:53 AM »
Your posts are completely inappropriate for this thread.

Bob - I agree you should start discrete posts in the appropriate forums for your follow-on questions (like about Nero, in the Computer Recording forum).  Not only will you receive better / more complete advice because more people will see them, but it will also make it easier for others to find answers to those same questions later.

That said, nearly -every- thread has inappropriate content, whether it's completely off-topic in a general sense, or off-topic and related specifically to a different question / issue / device / etc.  It's a constant battle and I gave up attempted enforcement long ago.  It's hard enough just keeping up with all the threads posted to the wrong forum - some by the same members, ad nauseum - much less those posted -within- threads.  You're not alone, it's just that in this case someone actually attempted to enforce some structure to a TS thread.  It's rare for someone to actually try to keep a thread on-topic, but I agree in principle it's a good idea.

Hmmmm...maybe I should delete this post...it's off-topic, too...  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline skokiebob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 01:51:15 PM »
Well, this occasional poster, almost always looking for advice from all the very helpful, knowledgeable folks here, has deleted his inappropriate, off topic posts. Sorry to have pissed off Freelunch. I guess since he's not a Mod (or is he?) he doesn't have to be as courteous as Brian.

Offline gtalife

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 03:31:23 AM »
Anybody patched this thing into SBD yet?   Any differences, compared to, for example a JB3

Just have to say, that i have done several audience recordings with this machine, and have been thrilled to bits with the ease of operation, and the results of the recordings.

also would like to thank everbody that has shared info on the R-09 on this and previous threads.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 05:22:45 AM »
Found the display impossible to read outside in daylight. 

After much trouble, luckily found a protective case AND daylight viewing hood 'in-one' solution.

Posted photos in the R-09 review at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm#vu
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com