Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help w/ Batt. Box, pics included  (Read 4458 times)

imissmybus

• Trade Count: (0)
Help w/ Batt. Box, pics included
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »
Just received some AT-853's (CMC4) with hyper caps and will be using a battery box until I can afford a pre for them.    I was given this box by a friend but have no idea how to read or set the levels/ bass roll-off accordingly.   If anyone could make heads or tails of these swithes for me I'd really appreciate it.    I'm hoping to tape Pearl Jam tomorrow night in a 2500+ seat theater & then Saturday @ the Gorge so if I need to change up the settings I'd love to know how.   Thanks for your help.  Chris

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: Help w/ Batt. Box, pics included
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »
here is the info pulled from soundpro's website...

Bass Roll off models only

Before making your first important recording, it is suggested that you experiment with your new microphones and battery unit a bit. On the top of the module, you will see the two red switches that select the bass roll-off frequencies. There are 7 different bass roll-off frequencies to choose from: 16Hz, 69Hz, 95Hz, 107Hz, 160Hz, 195Hz and 888Hz. You will find that different recording situations require a different bass roll-off frequency to produce the best results, depending on many factors such as the type of microphone you are using, the venue itself, shape of the room, your position in the room, speaker placement (if any), and many other factors. You should experiment with the different roll-off frequencies to see which one(s) produce the sound that you like the best. To set the roll-off frequency, set the switches according to the following chart:

Your desired Roll-off Frequency          These switches set to the “open” position
16Hz (no roll-off)   2,3,4
69Hz   1,4
95Hz   1,3
107Hz   1,3,4
160Hz   1,2
195Hz   1,2,4
888Hz   1,2,3

It is usually desirable to have the left and right switches set to the same frequency; however, they can be set independently if desired. The best way to determine the best setting for a given recording situation is through trial and error, starting off with the 16Hz setting and working up in frequency until the desired amount of bass is achieved in your recording. Remember, setting the switches to higher numbers removes more bass from the recording.

Here are some general guidelines: For louder, bassier situations, try higher settings; for smaller, quieter situations, use lower settings. If the venue has bad acoustics, use higher settings; for venues with better acoustics, use lower settings. If you are using cardioids, use lower settings; for omnidirectional mics, use higher settings (cardioids reduce bass somewhat when compared to omni’s as a function of their more directional pickup pattern). The audible differences between settings are subtle, so you won’t destroy a recording by using the wrong setting. There is no ‘right’ setting…what sounds right to your ears is ‘right’.

and here is the link:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/instructions/SP%20SPSB%206.doc
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

imissmybus

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »
That's great, many thanks & +T.

nameloc01

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:32:51 PM »
for whats is worth.., i have a sp-spspb6.i found that in most situations,at least with louder rock shows that 195hz is a very good setting.you are going to want to play around with it at home in front of a stereo at higher volumes( to kinda simulate a show)

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »
im going to be making my own battery box - i hope it works tho 8)

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11254&hl=#
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:27:59 PM »

Remember that the Sound Pro's batt box only rolls off per the directions listed when running into a recorder with the expected impedance.  Typically, that means mic-in, not line-in.  Problem is, mic-in impedances differ across recorders.  I'm not sure what impedance SP expects, nor the impedance of your recorder.  But IMO, it'd be worth finding out before deciding how to set the switches.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »

Remember that the Sound Pro's batt box only rolls off per the directions listed when running into a recorder with the expected impedance.  Typically, that means mic-in, not line-in.  Problem is, mic-in impedances differ across recorders.  I'm not sure what impedance SP expects, nor the impedance of your recorder.  But IMO, it'd be worth finding out before deciding how to set the switches.

yes sir you are correct... i figured one thing at a time....
the sp boxes (as well as most others out there) are calibrated using the input impedience of 10Kohm... for the jb3 it is 35-37Kohm and then there are other devises that have more.

here is a thread where it is addressed further:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=42138.0

and my comments in that thread as it relates to the jb3:
those of us using a jb3, the impendance is 37kOhm.

the break out becomes:
16Hz > 4.3Hz
69Hz > 18.7Hz
95Hz > 25.7Hz
107Hz > 28.9Hz
160Hz > 43.2Hz
195Hz > 52.7Hz
888Hz > 240Hz
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:35:19 AM »
My 2p:

Started off using bass roll off (typically 107Hz) for rock shows, discovered by reading here (probably the thread mentioned above) that it makes little impact when using a JB3, and set it to 16Hz a long time ago!

For PJ: You may overload the mics, depends where you're sat and how loud the PA is. Just concentrate on enjoying the show!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

imissmybus

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »
Well I definately appreciate everyone's input.   I tried running a few tests w/ the different settings & to be honest it's pretty hard to tell a difference.   It's a really simple rig, AT-853 hypers>Batt. Box>D8 so I'll try to play it safe & as long as I can walk away w/ something listenable I'll be happy.   Just gonna come down to trial & error.   +T's all around   :)

imissmybus

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:22:03 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help, ran tape last night & although where I was located was less than perfect, I'm glad to have walked away w/ something I can at least listen to.   Thanks guys, +T's all around.   Chris

Offline Chill

• Taperssection Regular
  • Got cat??
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »
What are the bass roll off setting for an H120?  Are they the same as a JB3, if so is there any point to rolling off with the battery box.

I also have a ST-20a which has a switch that rolls the bottom end off at 100KZ to 10HZ, will this also not work?

From the other thread

Table. Bass rolloff settings for line-in.
The values are rounded to the nearest number.

batt. box setting       MD          JB3         DAT         H1xx
(based on 10kOhm)    (20 kOhm)   (37 kOhm)   (47 kOhm)   (?? kOhm)

16 Hz  -  2,3,4       8 Hz        4 Hz        3 Hz        ? Hz
  69 Hz  -  1,4        35 Hz       19 Hz       15 Hz        ? Hz   
  95 Hz  -  1,3        48 Hz       26 Hz       20 Hz        ? Hz
 107 Hz  -  1,3,4      54 Hz       29 Hz       23 Hz        ? Hz
 160 Hz  -  1,2        80 Hz       43 Hz       34 Hz        ? Hz
 195 Hz  -  1,2,4      98 Hz       53 Hz       42 Hz        ? Hz
 888 Hz  -  1,2,3     444 Hz      240 Hz      189 Hz        ? Hz
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:12:31 PM by Chill »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 11:46:44 PM »
Sorry to bring up a thread that is so old, but the info on the DIP settings has been useful for me.

Does anyone know the specific SP battery box model that is shown in the photos on the first post on this thread?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »
Sorry to bring up a thread that is so old, but the info on the DIP settings has been useful for me.

Does anyone know the specific SP battery box model that is shown in the photos on the first post on this thread?

I think it's SP-SPSB-1 with selectable bass roll off option but no recording level option. Must be around 60 bucks brand new?
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Alchemy

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 12:45:49 AM »

I think it's SP-SPSB-1 with selectable bass roll off option but no recording level option. Must be around 60 bucks brand new?

Yes, it is the SP-SPSB-1. When I was in contact with Sound Pro Chris via e-mail, he mentioned to me that bass roll-off would definitely be apparent using a Sound Pro box and an iRiver iHP-120.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »
Thanks, +T guys!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com