Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need a little lamens help (3 wire battery box)  (Read 2816 times)

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
Need a little lamens help (3 wire battery box)
« on: September 26, 2006, 01:54:41 AM »
so yeah it's a battery box, but what's the whole "3" wire deal?  i'm not electronic savy.  been doing a little archive search and people seem to know what it's all about already.  difference between a 2 and 3 wire box?  lamens if at all possible
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Need a little lamens help (3 wire battery box)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
In terms of performance, 3 wire powering can handle much louder SPLs (Sound Pressure Levels) without distorting... you can think of 3-wire powering as a pseudo-phantom powering method.

In terms of the circuit, Audio Technica mics have 3 wires (yellow or white for "audio," red for +9V, and ground wire). The 3-wire circuit keeps all 3 wires "separated" for each microphone.

With a "2 wire" setup--for instance, where you have two Audio Technica mics and they are terminated into one single mini-plug connector--the "audio" (white/yellow) wires and the ground/shield wires are all connected to the sleeve (ground contact) of the mini-plug.

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:02:15 PM »
With a "2 wire" setup--for instance, where you have two Audio Technica mics and they are terminated into one single mini-plug connector--the "audio" (white/yellow) wires and the ground/shield wires are all connected to the sleeve (ground contact) of the mini-plug.

So would the 3 wire box not improve the SPL levels for those mics terminating into a single mini-plug?

I use SP CMC4 > SP Battery Box > Sony HI-MD for stealthing and had thought about the Church 3-Wire box.

Thanks for the input. 
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:34:01 AM »
so yeah it's a battery box, but what's the whole "3" wire deal?  i'm not electronic savy.  been doing a little archive search and people seem to know what it's all about already.  difference between a 2 and 3 wire box?  lamens if at all possible

You can do a simple mod to your AT mics that will let them handle just as much spl as a three wire battery box with two wires. So three wire is not necessary for high spl any more :) I do a simple mod that many here already know about that will outperform 3 wire any day.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:43:01 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »

You can do a simple mod to your AT mics that will let them handle just as much spl as a three wire battery box with two wires. So three wire is not nessisary for high spl any more :) I do a simple mod that many here already know about that will outperform 3 wire any day.

In what way does it outperfom 3-wire?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 12:41:16 PM »

You can do a simple mod to your AT mics that will let them handle just as much spl as a three wire battery box with two wires. So three wire is not nessisary for high spl any more :) I do a simple mod that many here already know about that will outperform 3 wire any day.

In what way does it outperfom 3-wire?

Less distortion more output gain.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.372 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com