Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My new toy: Tim's AD2k+  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
My new toy: Tim's AD2k+
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:47:46 PM »
Well guys, I am officially a total slut.  Couldn't pass on the opprotunity to run an ad2k behind my v3.  I debated it for some time though.  At first it didn't seem right to "waste" the AD stage, but then when thinking about what the v3->ad2k combo cost me to get into ($1695 :o)...i thought otherwise.  Considering either of these units retail right around there.  Honestly, it was BEAN'S "just a V3" comment that made me pull the trigger!! :P

Man am I setting up my rig backwards.  I've had a pair of MBHOs on loan for the last 2 years.  Still deciding on mics.  I like so many!  I may try something different like the c42's.

Anyway, back to my new toy.  Who can give me the lowdown on running the v3 with it.  Peaks near the first AMBER with analog out on the v3, right?  Any standard setting for the AD2k? Any other thoughts/experience would be MOST appreciated.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Re: My new toy: Tim's AD2k+
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:32:32 PM »
Peaks near the first AMBER with analog out on the v3, right?  Any standard setting for the AD2k? Any other thoughts/experience would be MOST appreciated.

Jesse

First off, congrats!  the AD2K+ is still a fantastic piece of gear, and you won't be sorry.

Secondly, you're correct.  There is no real "standard" setting for 2K, IMO, but there is a unity setting.  I don't recall exactly where that is, but Tim should remember as he reminded me.

Have fun!!!
Socks are overrated.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »
But it is an input select, no? Shouldn't that be used to pair with your pre-amp's output?  So wouldn't  you just MATCH your pre with the AD using the input select, then use gain on the v3?

Thanks,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
any help on my last question?

Thanks,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
But it is an input select, no? Shouldn't that be used to pair with your pre-amp's output?  So wouldn't  you just MATCH your pre with the AD using the input select, then use gain on the v3?

Thanks,
Jesse

that is the only way to do it. the higher the setting on the 2k, the more headroom you leave yourself.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »
Peaks near the first AMBER with analog out on the v3, right?  Any standard setting for the AD2k? Any other thoughts/experience would be MOST appreciated.

Jesse

First off, congrats!  the AD2K+ is still a fantastic piece of gear, and you won't be sorry.

Secondly, you're correct.  There is no real "standard" setting for 2K, IMO, but there is a unity setting.  I don't recall exactly where that is, but Tim should remember as he reminded me.

Have fun!!!

anyone know what thae unity setting is?
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »
maybe my understanding of unity is wrong, but wouldn't it depend on the output of the pre you're running in front?

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:03:05 PM »
maybe my understanding of unity is wrong, but wouldn't it depend on the output of the pre you're running in front?

Jesse

I'm not sure there can be any such thing with the 2k. Gain is completely dependent on the pre you're running in front of it, and absolutely nothing else...someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I ran the thing awhile and think this is correct. Your only worry is making sure that you don't attenuate the gain setting on the 2k to the point that your clipping it with gain from the preamp. I always set the thing at +22 to make absolutely sure I didn't have it set too low to take the preamp gain.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:07:26 PM »

Unity gain is the setting at which the unit provides no gain and no attenuation to the incoming signal.  I assume Kyle wants to set the AD2K at unity gain and use only the preamp to control the levels.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 03:44:52 PM »

Unity gain is the setting at which the unit provides no gain and no attenuation to the incoming signal.  I assume Kyle wants to set the AD2K at unity gain and use only the preamp to control the levels.

I know. And the 2k is pre-set to add zero gain in all circumstances, from what I understand.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 04:32:52 PM »
i always thought the setting on the 2k was the input level that would hit 0dbfs. 

like take the mp2 for example.  i think the max output level of the mp2 was +22.  if you set the 2k at +24, you'd NEVER hit zero on the 2k, because the 2k would need a +24 signal to hit zero.  you'd just overload your pre before you ver hit 0 on the 2k. 

a v2 could output a much hotter signal (+27 maybe?) so you could run the 2kat +24 and be ok. 

am i wrong?

marc0789

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
i always thought the setting on the 2k was the input level that would hit 0dbfs. 

like take the mp2 for example.  i think the max output level of the mp2 was +22.  if you set the 2k at +24, you'd NEVER hit zero on the 2k, because the 2k would need a +24 signal to hit zero.  you'd just overload your pre before you ver hit 0 on the 2k. 

a v2 could output a much hotter signal (+27 maybe?) so you could run the 2kat +24 and be ok. 

am i wrong?

Scott, my memory is fuzzy, but I think you are correct. That's why I always set the 2k at +22 rather than +24...it's coming back to me now. what I NEVER did was go below +22...I figured then, I'd have a chance to clip the 2k, even if I looked ok on the pre.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »
Scott's correct.  So when running a V3 in front, set the input select to +22.  That way you'll leave yourself 3db of headroom on the pre.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com