Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to keep mics from coming disconnected?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: How to keep mics from coming disconnected?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 10:05:08 PM »
You can tape things in place in advance or put a couple of strips elsewhere (back of your phone, for example) and fix the jack in seconds. In my opinion, it is a better option than an extra part.

It would definitely take me more than a few seconds do to this, and likely use a lot of tape. Either you are incorrectly picturing the issue or I can't figure out the solution. It is very awkward to tape a cable jack to a box, especially without a right angle plug.  The cable will just be sticking straight out from the box.

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 10:07:31 PM »

In the interim, gaff tape!

Rob was saying above that gaff tape is too much trouble to apply while at a show. The advantage of the connector above is that he can gaff tape that to the too-narrow plug, and then plug it and unplug it from his battery box as he would with a normal plug.

It might not end up bring the ideal solution, but for $4, it's worth trying.

I did order that part - it even came with shipping included for $4!

I was just thinking that if it works with the tape, I could even consider glueing them together.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 06:00:57 AM »
It would definitely take me more than a few seconds do to this, and likely use a lot of tape. Either you are incorrectly picturing the issue or I can't figure out the solution. It is very awkward to tape a cable jack to a box, especially without a right angle plug.  The cable will just be sticking straight out from the box.

Two narrow strips, at an angle, one on each side of the plug, affixed on the ends to the BB. I am probably not picturing it correctly, as I used to do this pretty frequently and it works well. Maybe not if you are really tugging on it, but easily keeping the plug inserted with normal use.   

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 09:18:46 PM »
For me its ideally a right angle cable (made by Nick -schoepsnbox) and gaffers tape.  All my lighters have tape on them just for that reason.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2024, 08:35:41 AM »
This is a post I made last year in the Sony A10 thread.  Not sure if it's relevant to your situation, but I'll toss it in the mix just in case.

I am 99% >:D and was having occasional issues with my rig getting jostled; especially at crowded standing shows.  I came up with the idea of using a couple of velcro strips.  One wraps around three times and fits under the right-angle plug arm.  The other is just a single velcro strip to keep the wire from moving around.  I haven't had a single issue since I've been doing this for the last several months, so I think I can confidently say it works.

Note: cable made by Nick (schoepsnbox).
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2024, 08:47:27 AM »
... gaffers tape.  All my lighters have tape on them just for that reason.

I have a yellow highlighter (the fat kind) with 3 ft of gaffers tape on it that I keep in the left interior breast pocket of my Scotte, along with a bunch of other things.  To the untrained eye, the contents look like a bunch of random "stuff."  But gaffers tape on a highlighter, earbuds, croakies, extra schoepsnbox cable, 1ft of rolled up velcro, extra house key, external phone battery (but really a Baby nBox), etc., etc. -- are all little tools of the trade.  Well - except for the house key.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com