Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage  (Read 16439 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »
I’m in the process of moving my masters to g drive for backup. Curious if anyone else foes the same and if you have any concerns about this solution? I feel comfortable my files will be protected and backed up so I’t need to worry about drive failures anymore. Is there anything that concerns you about this solution I should be thinking about - outside of the annual fee?

Also, thought it would he cool if we could open our collections to others with view / read access. I’d be willing to share mine. I haven’t moved everything yet but in the process now
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
A friend has done that big time, thousands of hours of music he now accesses from phone. He swears by it, but damn, it must have taken an awful lot of work

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 10:02:38 AM »
A friend has done that big time, thousands of hours of music he now accesses from phone. He swears by it, but damn, it must have taken an awful lot of work

google music is different than google drive

google music will scan an entire drive automatically and convert flacs to 320CBR and tag them and upload them to the cloud. 100000 tracks for free, buying the service only gives you access to their catalog (spotify style)

google drive is good for all kinds of files, i have a 2TB that i pay $10 a month for. you can stream mp3s and flacs from there as well, but it isnt as user friendly, more like one track a time, doesnt do playlists well
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline JayBTV

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
I use Google Drive.  Actually GSuite (The business version).  $12 a month for unlimited data storage.  All I needed to do was register a domain w/ google ($12 a year) and then unlimited for $12 a month.  Rocks w/ fiber 1GB/s up no-cap, but I'm lucky to have that available in my apartment.

There's a great Reddit group here https://old.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/ - ( that has tons of threads on cloud options / RClone (archives to GDrive/etc) / encryption options / etc

Jerry> BTW I'm the guy who PMed you yesterday on PT about DMB tapes. 
@Copperpot5

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
I use Google Drive.  Actually GSuite (The business version).  $12 a month for unlimited data storage.

cant beat that....

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
I have 12TB backed up through Backblaze. I think it is/was around $50-$60 a year.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 02:40:56 PM »

google music is different than google drive

google music will scan an entire drive automatically and convert flacs to 320CBR and tag them and upload them to the cloud. 100000 tracks for free, buying the service only gives you access to their catalog (spotify style)

google drive is good for all kinds of files, i have a 2TB that i pay $10 a month for. you can stream mp3s and flacs from there as well, but it isnt as user friendly, more like one track a time, doesnt do playlists well

I’m using an app called cloudbeats that reads google drive and lets me manage and play my music stored there. Seems to work well, reads tags, etc.

Thanks for the responses. For some reason im hesitant to delete my files after ive uploaded them to google drive. Lol i need someone to talk me off the ledge and tell me they will all be safe there forever

Offline perks

• Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
I'd be thinking about what your contingency plans are if (god forbid) G-Drive has an issue, or you get hacked, or whatever making the file copies in the cloud unattainable/unusable. How will you restore the data you kept at Google?

For this reason, in 2020, I continue to make and store a copy of the data files burned to a DVD as one of the three + redundancies attempting to keep my recordings around for as long as I can.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:57:57 PM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »
What he said. Actually, perks, you beat me to it, almost exactly what I was I was about to type, until I saw your post.

Honestly, I don't believe there is a hosting solution on the planet (or in the "cloud") that can't be compromised; or fall victim to the same types of attacks as a localized server. Redundant arrays are only a stopgap security measure, if an entire network becomes crippled.
That's not paranoia, but just a pragmatic outlook.

In particular, I can think of plenty of reasons why hackers, etc, might feel inclined to stick it to Google, given that entity's propensity for paving the way in data mining, so if folks want to keep their data on G-Drive, I seriously hope that it is kept somewhere safe at home at the same time. Just sayin'.

Personally, I'm still a big fan of using data discs as one form of backup, because in a worst-case scenario, it might be easier to stomach the loss of 4.7GB worth of data, as opposed to 1TB (or more).

Having said that, I'm a tad regretful that a while back when I learned the JVC TY DVD discs were being discontinued, I didn't stock up on *more* of them than I did, as it seems a number of counterfeiters have been infiltrating the market with inferior knock-offs that claim to be Powered by TY Technology, or what have you. I've recently picked up a few various brands making this claim (including *some* which were branded CMC Pro), which turned out to be fakes. So... that's a thing now.

My 2¢ worth. YMMV. Peace out.

- - - -

I'd be thinking about what your contingency plans are if (god forbid) G-Drive has an issue, or you get hacked, or whatever making the file copies in the cloud unattainable/unusable. How will you restore the data you kept at Google?

For this reason, in 2020, I continue to make and store a copy of the data files burned to a DVD as one of the three + redundancies attempting to keep my recordings around for as long as I can.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:42:13 PM by GroundHog420 »
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
I have 12TB backed up through Backblaze. I think it is/was around $50-$60 a year.

How long did that take to backup?

I have about 11 TB of data on a NAS. I have a backup that runs nightly to another NAS at my brothers house, but I've considered doing the online route too.

I really wish my job would let me leave the NAS hooked up to the network for a few hours. We have a 40 Gig connection. Shouldn't take long at all. I have a 100M connection at home. I think it would take WEEKS to transfer that much data and I have a 1TB cap, so technically it would take over a year to finish it all.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
What he said. Actually, perks, you beat me to it, almost exactly what I was I was about to type, until I saw your post.

Honestly, I don't believe there is a hosting solution on the planet (or in the "cloud") that can't be compromised; or fall victim to the same types of attacks as a localized server. Redundant arrays are only a stopgap security measure, if an entire network becomes crippled.
That's not paranoia, but just a pragmatic outlook.

In particular, I can think of plenty of reasons why hackers, etc, might feel inclined to stick it to Google, given that entity's propensity for paving the way in data mining, so if folks want to keep their data on G-Drive, I seriously hope that it is kept somewhere safe at home at the same time. Just sayin'.

Personally, I'm still a big fan of using data discs as one form of backup, because in a worst-case scenario, it might be easier to stomach the loss of 4.7GB worth of data, as opposed to 1TB (or more).

Having said that, I'm a tad regretful that a while back when I learned the JVC TY DVD discs were being discontinued, I didn't stock up on *more* of them than I did, as it seems a number of counterfeiters have been infiltrating the market with inferior knock-offs that claim to be Powered by TY Technology, or what have you. I've recently picked up a few various brands making this claim (including *some* which were branded CMC Pro), which turned out to be fakes. So... that's a thing now.

My 2¢ worth. YMMV. Peace out.

- - - -

I was debating a g-drive -> aws synch solution as well. I agree wholeheartedly on the risk and need for redundancy.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
how much of these collections are duplicated? we should chip in for a 20TB slot and upload all our stuff there

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:44 AM »
how much of these collections are duplicated? we should chip in for a 20TB slot and upload all our stuff there
Why? Because then it is safe forever?
What if we go back to "Tape tree" style "vines" but send around a large drive full of FLAC folders?
My BitTorrent directory is about 1.5 TB and that does NOT include most of my mastered file sets but mostly a bunch of assorted downloads I might enjoy.
My "completed audio" folders are between 30-70GB per year the past few. Total about 1TB over the past 12 years or so.

Are we ready to really contemplate the size of our collective data set?

I keep masters and completed items, as well as raw mixes (sbd + aud for instance) and mastered mixes (gain + limited versions of the raw mixes, to be tracked out but still including heads & tails.)

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
How safe is it to store stealth recordings on Google Drive, Backblaze or whatever? How much do they care about their users integrity? Is it possible for artists and labels to use some algorithm to find illegally recorded music or videos? Didn't Megaupload and other cloud services have a lot of problems in the past with users sharing illegal things in their clouds? Is it safer nowadays?

I'm considering this route as well but I'm a bit afraid it will bite me in the end.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
I’m worried about storing anything online.
I have three copies of my archives, when I add something
software automatically copies to my other two archives.

Once in a while (2 in last 6 years) I replace a drive and copy it.
My 2 cents
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
100% safe if you dont share it
99% safe even if you do.

How safe is it to store stealth recordings on Google Drive, Backblaze or whatever? How much do they care about their users integrity? Is it possible for artists and labels to use some algorithm to find illegally recorded music or videos? Didn't Megaupload and other cloud services have a lot of problems in the past with users sharing illegal things in their clouds? Is it safer nowadays?

I'm considering this route as well but I'm a bit afraid it will bite me in the end.

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
Good morning! I just want to underline that it wasn't my intention to cause *worry*, but to follow on the heels of what perks said, and really try to provide some food for thought about the whole "cloud" thing. Yes, I do think that safety is something to think about. Then again, I live in a place where self-righteous (some might even say arrogant) pedestrians walk out into traffic hundreds of times a day, without even taking the extra second to look both ways before crossing; safe in the self-presumed knowledge that motor vehicle drivers will absolutely have to always do the right thing and allow them to cross, because *The Law* demands it. Sure, if the driver can brake in time. Or, if the brakes are in good working order, for that matter. Or if the driver isn't busy looking at their phone, just like the pedestrian is. See, so many thinks to take into consideration. And let's just say the pedestrian gets hit, regardless of who is really at fault - is a settlement going to really make the pedestrian feel better, or give them back their quality of life? Okay, I'm rambling on a tangent, but that particular tangent is something I've been dealing with for more than twenty years now, except in my case the driver really was at fault, and the settlement didn't even begin to cover all the problems that still continue to come up.

But let's say we go back to the story of the files in the cloud. Maybe it's safe, maybe not. Let's forget about that question for a moment and think about other possibilities. What if one day a new law is passed and the hosting provider is required to vet the kind of things their customers are storing on their cloud servers. Kind of like mandatory cookies for clouds. Or let's say the Terms Of Service change in a way that users may not agree with (does anyone really even read all that stuff?). Or the fees keeping going up. None of those things are too far-fetched, really.

Look, I'm as much of a techhie nerd as anyone else in this here tribe, and that having been said, the concept of cloud storage is really kind of a remarkable thing. Like so many other components of web and audio science we all deal with in this wacky taping universe of ours. But just like everything else in this realm, the game is constantly changing, and generally, at a pace many of us can barely keep up with, which is one reason we are all still asking questions that quite possibly could have been answered by the creators of these gadgets before they thrust them in front of us to make us all giddy and excited about their uncharted potential. Maybe those guys don't even have the answers themselves. Maybe they expect us to be the ongoing beta testers for their crazy new schemes and devices. If that's the case, I'm just saying that we really do need to grab the reins and slow it down just a second so we have a reasonable opportunity to think everything through, before we end up doing something we might later regret.

Done rambling for the moment. I guess that's what happens when I just start typing first thing in the morning when I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet.
Peace out, y'all.

- - - -

Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline morst

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
99% safe even if you do.
I have to say I think you pulled these numbers out of the air.
What if a cloud server was configured incorrectly? It's happened.
https://gizmodo.com/company-leaves-752-00-birth-certificate-copy-applicatio-1840330419

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »

How long did that take to backup?

I have about 11 TB of data on a NAS. I have a backup that runs nightly to another NAS at my brothers house, but I've considered doing the online route too.

I really wish my job would let me leave the NAS hooked up to the network for a few hours. We have a 40 Gig connection. Shouldn't take long at all. I have a 100M connection at home. I think it would take WEEKS to transfer that much data and I have a 1TB cap, so technically it would take over a year to finish it all.

Well, they don't allow cloud backups of NAS devices. It has to be a drive in a computer (basically). It took months to back it all up. And I started with 6-7 TB. There might have been something wrong in a setting (I don't think so) but it took forever. There is a decent backblaze sub on reddit for Q&A.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 05:14:36 AM »
About security. I use Dropbox. Some years ago they had a leak which caused thousands of e-mails and passwords to get out to the public, including mine. I had no clue about this leak until I used another service to test if my e-mail is safe. Which it wasn't because of Dropbox.

I have no doubt this can happen to other services as well. Including Google.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
My "completed audio" folders are between 30-70GB per year the past few. Total about 1TB over the past 12 years or so.

Are we ready to really contemplate the size of our collective data set?

I tape audio and shoot video.  For the last year, I've been shooting video in 4K.  A well-filmed shot in 4K is such a thing of beauty.  But it also clocks in at around 40GBs per hour.  I've come home from a single show where I shot two bands and had 125GBs of video and audio to archive.  I hit three shows in three nights just before Christmas and that was a total of 223GBs.

I really love this high quality video.  And it just continues to get better AND bigger.  8K video is coming ... I'm both excited (for the quality) and scared (for the size) at the same time.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
About security. I use Dropbox. Some years ago they had a leak which caused thousands of e-mails and passwords to get out to the public, including mine. I had no clue about this leak until I used another service to test if my e-mail is safe. Which it wasn't because of Dropbox.

I have no doubt this can happen to other services as well. Including Google.

This can AND WILL happen to other sites regardless whether its cloud storage or e-commerce.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
99% safe even if you do.
I have to say I think you pulled these numbers out of the air.

sort of. i was specifically talking about liability for copyrighted works parked on a cloud account

i have heard of 0.0% people having issues with things not publicly shared
and just a rare handful of people having issues for things that are shared, thru p2p etc

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 09:07:34 AM »
I just want to say that I appreciate this discussion, which I'm learning useful things from.

In the 1970s I recorded many hundreds of hours of documentary material on cassettes; to me, it's the most useful and important thing I've been able to do in my life. I transferred those recordings to CD-Rs when that technology became available, and have been keeping it on CD-R and then DVD-R ever since, in multiple copies in case of accidents or bad media. I've sent copies to friends in other countries, and where appropriate, donated copies of certain subsets to academic or institutional archives. I figured that duplication was the best way to increase the odds of preservation.

In the past few weeks I've started transferring the material to portable SSDs and--once everything was verified and backed up in multiple copies--letting go of the CD-Rs. It's a strange feeling to go from "this is the stuff that I'm the most protective of" to putting it out in the trash overnight, but I'm due to turn 70 next month, I'm living alone after my recent divorce, and I don't want to leave behind three storage rooms full of stuff that no one knows about or has any idea what to do with.

The fact that my life's main accomplishment, which used to require an entire tall set of IKEA shelves to house, now will fit easily in someone's shirt pocket (or be able to get lost between the couch cushions, or get carried away by a family pet as a chew toy) is a little eerie, but I'm pretty sure it's the right thing for me to be doing at this point. And it's fun duplicating this stuff at up to 300 MB/second.

Incidentally, the CD-Rs and DVD-Rs held up remarkably well after decades of storage. In retrospect I overdid it with making redundant copies--but no regrets; I would certainly rather be saying that than the opposite.

--best regards

P.S.: My sympathies to the people here who are dealing with high-resolution video rather than audio. It will probably be a few more decades before physical storage technology catches up with your needs--and in the meantime, who knows what all you'll have recorded ...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:26:27 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline guitard

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
I don't want to leave behind three storage rooms full of stuff that no one knows about or has any idea what to do with or gives a shit about.

FTFY.

When that day eventually comes ... and my kids and grand kids (and great grand kids?) are digging through grandpa's 'stuff' to see what's worth keeping and what needs to go to the dump ... I'm about 99.999% sure that the music collection, to include all my master vids and audios ... is going to met with 'what the fuck are these' frowns ... and a few seconds later will get tossed into the "throw it away" pile.

But who knows ... maybe ... just maybe ... one of the grand kids will say, "Wait!  Don't throw those hard drives away.  We can wipe them and re-use them!"

And my legacy will be several re-purposed hard drives ... that they will probably all scoff at because, "Who the heck needs a bunch of old 100TB hard drives?  They barely hold any data."

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline live2cd

• Taperssection Member
    • Facebook.
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »

When that day eventually comes ... and my kids and grand kids (and great grand kids?) are digging through grandpa's 'stuff' to see what's worth keeping and what needs to go to the dump ... I'm about 99.999% sure that the music collection, to include all my master vids and audios ... is going to met with 'what the fuck are these' frowns ... and a few seconds later will get tossed into the "throw it away" pile.

:lol: :lol:aint this the truth.
DPA 4060 [CS HEB] > CS BB
CA-14 (c) > CA 9200
CA-14 (o) > CA 9200
SP-CMC-8 Cardioids (4.7k mod) > SP-SPSB-11
pri deck: Sony PCM M10 | alt decks: TASCAM DR‑2D & Sony PCM A10

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 03:17:28 AM »
3 10TB Seagates on Black Friday: $480 shipped

why on earth anyone would *want* to introduce a "middleman" to aid in the preservation of their files is beyond me.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 05:53:39 AM »

why on earth anyone would *want* to introduce a "middleman" to aid in the preservation of their files is beyond me.

Seagate are known to be unreliable. Use Western Digital if you are going that route.

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »

Seagate are known to be unreliable. Use Western Digital if you are going that route.

I've had Seagate HD's for years (external and internal), haven't had one fail (yet). All brands of hard drives have bad batches and failures, just the luck of the draw sometimes.
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 12:42:58 AM »
TheMetalist, as it happens, I've had the exact opposite experience personally: two WD failures out of maybe half a dozen, and no Seagate failures ever out of more than twenty. And I have "heard" that WD drives are known to be unreliable.

--If you live in a state that has a lottery, it can be instructive sometimes to stand in line near where people are buying tickets for it. If a lottery is fair, it Does. Not. Matter. which numbers you pick; each is equally as [un]likely to win as any other. Nonetheless, people care a lot whether the person behind the counter hears and follows their requests. It never seems to occur to anyone that if the ticket seller gets their number wrong, that mistake could be EXACTLY what it takes for them to win a million dollars.

It's equally interesting to hear what people say when they don't win--they often act as if they'd made a mistake from which they can usefully learn something. "I should have trusted my first impulse" for example. Along those lines, the only reason I avoid WD drives nowadays is that if another WD drive were to fail after the experiences I've had, I would probably feel worse personally than if a Seagate drive failed, because of my having ignored my impulse to avoid WD drives. President George W. Bush said it best: "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

(By the way, I use a whole lot of SanDisk products with no worries--and SanDisk is owned by Western Digital.)

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:46:26 AM by DSatz »

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 04:20:55 AM »
I've had Seagate HD's for years (external and internal), haven't had one fail (yet). All brands of hard drives have bad batches and failures, just the luck of the draw sometimes.
TheMetalist, as it happens, I've had the exact opposite experience personally: two WD failures out of maybe half a dozen, and no Seagate failures ever out of more than twenty. And I have "heard" that WD drives are known to be unreliable.

I'm happy you guys have great a experience with your Seagate discs. I've had a lot of bad experience with them in the past and they only had 2 years warranty vs. WD's 3-5 years (depending on disc type) which says something. At least to me. They were cheaper and you get what you pay for, as always. They also had a lot of failures in general looking at tests, reviews and comparisons. Seems like they may have stepped up and it's not unlikely I will go that route for my next drive purchase. Thanks for your input on this.  :)

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Looking at the Lifetime Hard Drive Stats through Q3 2019 the annulized failure rates are:

HGST (owned by WD): 0.47-0.80 %
Seagate: 0.57-2.67%
Toshiba: 0.74-0.81%

Which confirms that Seagate has a higher failure rate but it's not THAT bad which is great.  :coolguy:

Offline morst

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
MANY MANY MANY years ago, before you could say that I "collect" hard drives, I had heard that WD were unreliable, so I used Seagate as my main drives when I was first expanding capacity (2001 I bought a 2Gb PATA drive for $109 and was stoked). Finally around 2008-2009 I had a seagate 2Tb or 3Tb drive or two fail gently on me (I could copy all the data off before they pooped out) but the result was that I switched over to WD.

I experimented around 2010 with WD dual-drive external cases that made RAID stripes inside, and they were not good, although I was buying refurbs off Ebay, so I can't exactly say that it was build quality.

Now ten years later, I finally had a WD drive soft fail on me. One of the BB Easystore 8TB drives. They only have a 2-year warranty, and I also believe the length of warranty is proportional to the company's belief in the quality of their own product. But the RMA process was smooth and now I have a drive which says "re-certified in Vietnam"

As for flash memory, I've had failures on SD cards from Transcend (~2008), Adata (2010)  and Sound Devices (2018, 2019) but no issues with Sandisk or Kingston (or Sony or lexar) [excluding problems traced directly to the Tascam DR-70D which is extraordinarily picky about requiring approved media!!!]

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2020, 05:55:39 AM »
My point wasn't that I know which brand is better, but that any given individual, based solely on his or her own experience, is quite likely to reach conclusions that are driven by more or less random variables, while believing that those conclusions have a more general validity than they actually possess. (In other words, typical human decisions.)

--I'm somewhat, but not strongly, persuaded that a longer warranty period indicates a more reliable product. I think the equation has quite a few controlling variables, including the oddly sporadic usage pattern (write once, disconnect for weeks / months / years) of archiving. And in terms of business economics it could be a "self-fulfilling prophecy" to some extent, if a longer warranty period is widely perceived to indicate greater reliability when that is not actually the case--increasing the sales of that product line and allowing the manufacturer to carry some additional costs of defective returns while still keeping it profitable.

There may be several concerns that need considering. Say there's an average time by which a given model of drive accumulates a 1% likelihood of failure; that time will differ for different drive types. But the failures might or might not "avalanche" after that point, such that the drive with the longest life up to its 1% point may also be the drive that reaches a 5% failure likelihood the soonest. It's purely a business decision as to what warranty a manufacturer would offer in such a case if it occurred.

Surely there are cases that go in that direction, even if not to the extent of my evil little thought experiment. I'm sure that the major manufacturers have graduate engineers on staff who spend all their time analyzing and quantifying drive failures, and I'm equally sure that we don't know what those people know. Thus I never trust any one drive (or other physical medium) longer than the minimum time necessary to duplicate its contents onto a backup.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:26:49 AM by DSatz »

Offline guitard

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »
My point wasn't that I know which brand is better, but that any given individual, based solely on his or her own experience, is quite likely to reach conclusions that are driven by more or less random variables, while believing that those conclusions have a more general validity than they actually possess. (In other words, typical human decisions.)

I think you just gave the non-dictionary version of the definition for confirmation bias:

The tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or strengthens one's prior personal beliefs or hypotheses.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »
You only think that because it reinforces your existing concept of confirmation bias.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
You only think that because it reinforces your existing concept of confirmation bias.

😂

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
I have a 60TB NAS that I would like to back up but have run into several hurdles outside of my 1TB Xfinity data cap.  Most services like Backblaze, Crashplan, Dropbox, etc won't allow me to point to a mapped network drive.  Anyone here figured out a workaround?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Enswearry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 04:49:16 AM »
I’m in the process of moving my masters to g drive for backup. Curious if anyone else foes the same and if you have any concerns about this solution? I feel comfortable my files will be protected and backed up so I’t need to worry about drive failures anymore. Is there anything that concerns you about this solution I should be thinking about - outside of the annual fee?

Also, thought it would he cool if we could open our collections to others with view / read access. I’d be willing to share mine. I haven’t moved everything yet but in the process now

Yes, I have been using Google drive for storage. For me it has been pretty good experience, all my files are readily available and are accessible to me anywhere I want. I don't think there is any concern.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
How are people getting around the 1TB limit for storage?  Apparently, if I sign up for a business account (GSuite) I only get 1TB of storage.  ??
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 09:57:24 PM »
i have 2TB i think im in at $10 a month

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 03:13:21 AM »
I have a 60TB NAS that I would like to back up but have run into several hurdles outside of my 1TB Xfinity data cap.  Most services like Backblaze, Crashplan, Dropbox, etc won't allow me to point to a mapped network drive.  Anyone here figured out a workaround?

Maybe try iDrive? You can access via the web, add your phone, backup a mapped network drive, etc. 60 TB is a lot, though; I am not sure what they offer in that range... 

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
Hightail is $15/month for unlimited storage. 

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »

Does it all live in a space that is easily digestible?  I want something that is a solid cloud back up that I can also share large data from

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »

Does it all live in a space that is easily digestible?  I want something that is a solid cloud back up that I can also share large data from

You can set up unlimited spaces.  I have one for my recordings and then a series of others.  Within each space there are searching, sorting and filtering options.  Also individual uploads have their own link.  That's what I generally share and I keep a document with those links (that's what I share weekly).  There is also the ability to transfer directly between some other cloud storage options. 

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
Daspyknows, does Hightail do automatic backups or do you have to manually add new files? I went through their webpage and couldn't really find the answer to this.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »
I don't think it does automatic backups.  I don't use it that way.  It is more meant for cloud storage. 

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »
It can do automatic backups, but  .....

You have to sign on to another service for that software service.  I forget the name of the service they use, might be Carbonite, but tried to use it two years ago and it was terribly slow.  I called customer service, and it is simply not designed to back up large collections like I have, I'm at the 16tb range.  It would take six months to upload all of that with Hightail. 

Instead, I manually use Hightail for cloud storage, storing each show with a discrete zip file link, uploading that show, and I use my own written index, because Hightail's search function is unreliable.  Yes it is slow, but very easy to exchange shows (I just give you the permanent link).  Cost is about $15 a month.  So far I've done A-M since Pandemic.  I can do about 20 shows a day, easy. 

I think DaSpy and I use Hightail the same way. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
Yes it is slow, but very easy to exchange shows (I just give you the permanent link).
How do you prevent someone you shared the link with from sharing with others? Can you add a download expiration date?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »
Yes it is slow, but very easy to exchange shows (I just give you the permanent link).
How do you prevent someone you shared the link with from sharing with others? Can you add a download expiration date?

Yes you can add expiration dates.  I am not sure if you can set the number of downloads as it isn't something I need to do.  You can also password protect links.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »

Yes you can add expiration dates.  I am not sure if you can set the number of downloads as it isn't something I need to do.  You can also password protect links.
Ok. Expiration dates are great. It would be very unpleasant to find links you shared with someone on guitars101 or other sharing sites. Some people just can't be trusted. Passwords can also be shared.

I'll definately have to check out Hightail. I actually started a free account a few minutes ago.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:44:24 PM by TheMetalist »

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Two storage options.

SEND and SPACES

Sends have expiration dates, passwords, verifications

Spaces only have passwords. They do not expire.  But can be deleted.

I may be wrong, but that’s my understanding.

Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
I cover most sharing with a 2TB Dropbox but I am looking for something that has similar features but much larger capacity. 

I am giving G Suite a try with the 14 day trial and will test the 1TB limit.  It says 1TB limit if you only use one user, but unlimited if you have 5+ users.  It is $12/month/user

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:01 PM »
Hightail is unlimited storage.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2020, 12:09:33 AM »
Isn't this ironic.  I cannot tell if they are listening to me, or listening to me.  Apparently they are testing some kind of feature that includes the ability to send files up to 100GB from their app.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
I don't think it does automatic backups.  I don't use it that way.  It is more meant for cloud storage.

It can do automatic backups, but  .....

Thanks. I am intrigued by the unlimited storage, but I like the automatic backups that I currently get. Each night, I backup my desktop, some specific folders on my NAS, and my laptop (if it is plugged in). As I am currently using less than 25% of my cloud storage allocation, I think I will just keep things as they are until I need more room. At that point, I will definitely take Hightail into consideration...

Offline guitard

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »
I have 19TBs backed up with BackBlaze.  It seems to be good for backups and storage, but not for sharing.  But my main goal was simply to have unlimited backups for a reasonable price (I'm paying $60/yr).

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »
I have 19TBs backed up with BackBlaze.  It seems to be good for backups and storage, but not for sharing.  But my main goal was simply to have unlimited backups for a reasonable price (I'm paying $60/yr).

I thought they charged $0.005/GB/Month?  I have looked at B2 which would be over $200/month for me.  No thanks.  It's even more expensive to pull data back down.  They also do not allow mapped drives or NAS connections although I think FreeNAS (my OS) has a feature that defeats it.

Back on the G Suite track...

I uploaded a 600gb cassette archive project into a new Shared Drive and it shows 0% used.  I like that.  I'm uploading another 800gb project now to get me up and over the 1TB limit to see what happens.

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2020, 05:17:42 PM »
Hi there -

[edited slightly}
Ah, I hadn't really let it set in that you said you were using BackBlaze strictly as as a backup service.... in my head, I made a mental translation that the 19TB you had "backed up" were essentially like making safety copies, which now that I think about it, wouldn't be needed with dedicated storage, because they would certainly have an array in place making their own redundant backups, etc.... [/end of edited segment]

I reached out to them about offline data storage, and after a couple of conversations, the rep I spoke with pointed me to a page from their blog:

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/218483787-What-s-the-difference-between-B2-vs-Backblaze-Online-Backup

where I found this, in bold text:

Backblaze Online Backup is not designed to be used as offsite data archival or offsite storage for data that will not be retained on the licensed computer.

Which seems to be a closed door for my storage needs. Over the years I've amassed a collection of external drives, which probably add up to about 10TB or so, conservatively.
Additionally, about 2000 or so 4.7GB data discs with flac filesets, so between 9-10 TB.
Plus, about 800 or so DVD-R discs with ROIO video files, so around 4TB.
And I haven't really rounded up all the cassettes that I've been diligently digitizing this year, since we're all home a lot more than ever before, but safely around 5000+ tapes, maybe more... while I haven't done the math on that yet, it's safe to say that overall, I could stand around 30TB of offline, or offsite, digital storage.

While that might *sound* like a large number, I doubt it. I'm in my 60s now, been taping bands since the late 70s/early 80s, occasionally delving into video as well as audio, for most of the early years relying on fairly low-end gear and media. I'm pretty sure a lot of you folks have been doing it just as long, and with better high-end gear for a lot longer. especially those of you who get into high-end video captures.

Most of the places I've been reading about seem to focus on *much* smaller numbers - anywhere from 4GB to 5TB, and half of those I've looked into focus mainly on backups, rather than dedicated data storage. So I'm still scratching my head as to how I can consolidate all of this physical media into ones and zeros that live in a remote storage facility, and that could be relatively affordable as well.

- - - -

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:02:08 PM by GroundHog420 »

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2020, 11:17:51 PM »
I have 24tb backed up to Hightail.  $16 a month and I share any file with any person in seconds. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 11:27:16 PM »
When you say, "backed up", do you mean they run routine backups of your system, or do you have the files stored on their server, independent of your own system?
That's the big thing I keep running into with a lot of these places; when I talk to them, they make it sound as though they only do system backups, not offline data storage.
Somewhere in between the questions I'm asking, and the answers I'm getting from these places, there might be some confusion over terminologies or something, perhaps.

I have 24tb backed up to Hightail.  $16 a month and I share any file with any person in seconds.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:49:08 AM by GroundHog420 »

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 05:37:14 PM »

Is there a bandwidth limit on hightail for when you share?
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »

Is there a bandwidth limit on hightail for when you share?

Nope.  I use it too.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »
Wow, I use the same stuff the Spy uses.  Amazing.  Great minds think alike. 

Next thing you'll tell me is that you like Schoeps, Eric Clapton, and BBQ. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »

I thought they charged $0.005/GB/Month?  I have looked at B2 which would be over $200/month for me.  No thanks.  It's even more expensive to pull data back down.  They also do not allow mapped drives or NAS connections although I think FreeNAS (my OS) has a feature that defeats it.

It's a flat fee for unlimited backup:  $6/mth --- $60/yr --- $110 for two years.

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 07:36:43 PM »
Umm... help a brother out here, please....?  A lot of this conversation seems to be related to "backing up" data, which isn't exactly the same thing as storing 20+ TB on a dedicated server.

Like I tried to say earlier, I've been talking to reps from some of the companies, and they keep making a clear distinction between providing "backups", which it seems most of these places do provide, and "offline data storage", which it seems most of them either don't provide, or only offer for much smaller amounts of data, such as "5TB is the maximum storage space we offer", etc.

- - - -

When you say, "backed up", do you mean they run routine backups of your system, or do you have the files stored on their server, independent of your own system?
That's the big thing I keep running into with a lot of these places; when I talk to them, they make it sound as though they only do system backups, not offline data storage.
Somewhere in between the questions I'm asking, and the answers I'm getting from these places, there might be some confusion over terminologies or something, perhaps.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
Define the terms.

Backup to me means software + cloud storage. To my knowledge, there are no economical and practical options for the 15tb range.

Cloud Storage to me means storage in the cloud which can be mere storage of a bunch of files or one can store an entire data set in the cloud. That can act as a backup but it has to be manually uploaded.  Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.

Just a quick note - Backblaze allows files over 25 GB. This probably isn’t all that important to many here, but since the Panasonic  ZS100 camera’s recording time limit can be hacked to allow unlimited recording, I regularly film shows and have single video files over 50 GB.

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
Exactly. Our definitions are the same.

Personally, I have no need for backups.

I *do* have a need for cloud storage, but a lot more than the limit most places seem to offer.

Possibly I connected with the wrong person at hightail? The response I received from indicated that my need for cloud storage wasn't exactly what they were designed for.

Did you sign up with their "Pro" plan? That's what looked right for my needs. but their response indicated otherwise....??

- - - -

Define the terms.

Backup to me means software + cloud storage. To my knowledge, there are no economical and practical options for the 15tb range.

Cloud Storage to me means storage in the cloud which can be mere storage of a bunch of files or one can store an entire data set in the cloud. That can act as a backup but it has to be manually uploaded.  Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
Hightail has a 25gb per file limit per individual upload and no limit to the total amount of uploaded files.

Just a quick note - Backblaze allows files over 25 GB. This probably isn’t all that important to many here, but since the Panasonic  ZS100 camera’s recording time limit can be hacked to allow unlimited recording, I regularly film shows and have single video files over 50 GB.

Do you  compress the files before backup?  When you zip the files how much do they compress? 

Offline guitard

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2020, 02:10:05 PM »

Do you  compress the files before backup?  When you zip the files how much do they compress?

I don't do anything with the files; except of course, load them onto a hard drive.  So no compression on the user end.  Basically, Backblaze just runs in the background and backs everything up.

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »
In a couple of trials I have made so far after I signed up for a Guite account.

I created a couple of backup scripts from my FreeNAS server to GDrive but it will ONLY go into "My Drive" shared folders which counts against my quota.  There is currently 9.2TB there. (Video & FLAC)

Anything that I drag and drop into "Shared Drive" folders (unshared) does not show up in my quota.

One thing that I have yet to try is to add users to the Shared Drive folders to see if I can see them populate through the backup API. 

I have yet to see a bill for anything from Google.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
Yes it is their pro plan.  Unlimited storage, upload limit of 25 gigs per file.  About $16 a months

Some of my multi-track recordings and the accompanying mix files easily reach 50gb, so I have to break down the fileset to something like TracksRaw01-12, Tracks Raw 13-24, Mix Tracks 01-12, etc.  You get the general idea.  I then zip the files into a single file and upload that. 

I have onsite and offsite backups, so these are really for the house burned down and I've lost all my tapes storage.  Cheap insurance for me. 

The other thing I did was zip every show I've recorded and the split files, so I can send them to anyone via email with a link.  It takes about 30 seconds to find the link and email it, so it is super convenient for me. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
Some of my multi-track recordings and the accompanying mix files easily reach 50gb

50GBs is a shit ton of audio.  Just curious - how many tracks are in these multi-track recordings?

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
16 to 24 tracks, maybe even up to 30 if I have audience and/or ALD feeds or wireless mikes.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.283 seconds with 103 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com