Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Having a hard time with setting levels...(svu-1 content)  (Read 7458 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Having a hard time with setting levels...(svu-1 content)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 01:51:49 PM »
I have been running the JB3 and the UA-5 combo for about 4 months now, and every single show I tape I have the hardest time trying the set levels correctly.  My levels always seem to "jump" and tend to be overall inconsistent. 

I know that the JB3's meters are not the best as far as accuracy, but I really haven't had a problem with overpowering.  Actually, most of the tapes I make have to be put under some post work for normalizing, etc because the levels are too low.

Would the SVU-1 really be a big help for this problem?  I am willing to get one if I know that it will really help out, otherwise I guess I can keep toying with the JB3 meters.

So, basically I need to hear the quick and dirty opinions/testimonials of the SVU-1.

Thanks for the help!

dklein put up a great webpage of this question about the level indicators on the JB3. 

http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/JB3meters/JB3meters.htm

Basically he found that when you see the bars moving and you think you're getting a good signal which is maybe a little bit low and safe, the signal's actually way too low.  You want the bars to be as high as possible without getting too close to the clipping range.  The appropriate range is only the 3 or 4 pixel rows thick in the display under the clipping section.  It's a tiny little sliver of the whole meter height. 

Too bad the JB3 people didn't zoom in on this range.

In effect, the meter they designed has way too big of a range.

Todd in Buffalo

I always had mine about halfway up in what the jb3 has as "clipping" constantly.

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »
I have been running the JB3 and the UA-5 combo for about 4 months now, and every single show I tape I have the hardest time trying the set levels correctly.  My levels always seem to "jump" and tend to be overall inconsistent. 

I know that the JB3's meters are not the best as far as accuracy, but I really haven't had a problem with overpowering.  Actually, most of the tapes I make have to be put under some post work for normalizing, etc because the levels are too low.

Would the SVU-1 really be a big help for this problem?  I am willing to get one if I know that it will really help out, otherwise I guess I can keep toying with the JB3 meters.

So, basically I need to hear the quick and dirty opinions/testimonials of the SVU-1.

Thanks for the help!

dklein put up a great webpage of this question about the level indicators on the JB3. 

http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/JB3meters/JB3meters.htm

Too bad the JB3 people didn't zoom in on this range.

In effect, the meter they designed has way too big of a range.

Todd in Buffalo

I always had mine about halfway up in what the jb3 has as "clipping" constantly.

I just realized that you all are running digital-in and this webpage and I are talking analog-in. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 10:43:59 PM »
I just realized that you all are running digital-in and this webpage and I are talking analog-in. 

There shouldn't be any difference Todd.  If you're into the clipping zone, the recordings are clipped regardless of the source.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 09:50:02 AM »

There shouldn't be any difference Todd.  If you're into the clipping zone, the recordings are clipped regardless of the source.

Right, but is it possible to have a good looking meter reading at the JB3 and still end up with crap if  it's clipped at the A/D ?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 11:44:31 AM »
Right, but is it possible to have a good looking meter reading at the JB3 and still end up with crap if  it's clipped at the A/D ?

that looks like a question...and I guess the answer depends on what you're using  i.e. where the a>d is

If you're using a separate preamp and a>d (or a DAT as a front end), then you could potentially brickwall at the preamp, feeding junk into the a>d but seeing safe levels.  So it's clipping before the a>d.
If it's an integrated unit (like the V3 or AD-20) that is feeding a digital signal to the JB3 then likely no - the JB3 display shows what's going on at the external a>d.
If you're using the analog in on the JB3 then no again, the meters are indicative of the internal levels, probably measure before the a>d but properly calibrated to the a>d input level.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 07:36:00 PM »
it seems like people either have a hard time or no prob at all with the jb3 meters
i have had many people tell me they get great recordings off the jb3 meters and many others say they need a svu-x
there isn't many in the middle
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com