Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Receiver recommendations? (on a budget)  (Read 12260 times)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Receiver recommendations? (on a budget)
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »
Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for a receiver? Preferences:

- Less than $200 would be ideal but could possibly go higher...
- HDMI pass through
- Don't really need 5.1 or 7.1...2-channel is enough for me at this time but I don't want to disqualify more channels. A 2.1 setup might be ideal if that is even such a thing these days.
- Bluetooth would be nice but not a deal breaker.

The basic impetus for this is that we have a TV with no outputs (didn't even know such a thing was ever made). So I'd like to plug a Fire TV stick into a receiver so I can get audio from there and just pass the HDMI through to the TV. This might be just a temporary solution as I will probably revamp everything A/V related at some point.

Any thoughts?

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: Receiver recommendations? (on a budget)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
I've been extremely happy with the Denon AVR-S710W for the past year.  I only use it with 2 channels, but it was one of the least expensive receivers that included Audessey (which I find works extremely well).  The setup routine makes it very easy to configure what speakers you do or do not have.  It works flawlessly in all HDMI duties including ARC from my TV, has bluetooth, WiFi, Ethernet for remote streaming, and the sound quality is outstanding.  Again, I'm only running 2 channels but I can fill my entire open-concept first floor with any reasonable SPL.  We just went through the extended LOTR discs again this past weekend and it was phenomenal.

It retails for well over $400, but I purchased mine refurbished from Accessories4Less for under $300.  Normally I stay away from refurbished, but what I received appeared to be a completely brand new, unused unit.  They don't seem to have the S710W at the moment, but they do have the very similar S720W and S910W.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
I was going to make the same recommendation as voltronic! It's not impossible to find really nice 2 channel receivers, but since they're not as common, you generally will pay more than for an AVR that can play stereo just fine.

My 2003-era Denon 6.1 receiver recently died. I replaced it with the Denon AVR-S720W this week. So far, I'm extremely happy with it. I do use it for a 6.2 surround setup for films, but also frequently listen to music in 2.2 (I just built 2 18" subs, but that's for another thread!).

Also like voltronic, I bought mine refurbed from the same place. It carries a Denon 1 year warranty, so I didn't feel like it was a huge risk. Came to me looking brand new and had all of the brand new accessories. I paid about $60 over your budget, but still feel like it's a great value for something I can use for music and films.

To address your other items in your wishlist: the HDMI pass through works great, and it supports ARC if your TV does (my projector does not). I tested the bluetooth and it works fine. They are also releasing firmware upgrades periodically which is a nice bonus.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online voltronic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:17 PM »
I was going to make the same recommendation as voltronic! It's not impossible to find really nice 2 channel receivers, but since they're not as common, you generally will pay more than for an AVR that can play stereo just fine.

Exactly.  I was upgrading from a mid-1970s 2-channel receiver, and really needed something that would handle all the HDMI switching and be future-proof to go with the new TV in the new digs.  The way I found to do the video switching I needed was to buy something with way more audio channels than I need.  It turned out to be the right decision.
 :headphones:

The basic impetus for this is that we have a TV with no outputs (didn't even know such a thing was ever made).

I missed this part earlier.  What TV is this that?  Sounds like a great excuse to buy a new TV!  I have a great recommendation if you're interested.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
https://asheville.craigslist.org/ele/d/denon-avr-home-theater/6160380779.html

Terry

Damn. that looks alright....

I used to use Craigslist to buy used gear all the time.  It was cheap, easy, and I could usually drive over to the seller and test out the stuff before buying... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »

The basic impetus for this is that we have a TV with no outputs (didn't even know such a thing was ever made).

I missed this part earlier.  What TV is this that?  Sounds like a great excuse to buy a new TV!  I have a great recommendation if you're interested.

It's a Samsung H4003 LED TV. I had never heard of a TV without any outputs...makes no sense to me.

It's my girlfriend's TV. I haven't owned a TV in probably 6 years. I would love to replace it but that's a rabbit hole I can't afford to go down right now...just bought a house that needs a lot of work so my money is all tied up at the moment. Might buy a new one when the big box stores run their Super Bowl sales in Jan/Feb.

Online voltronic

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »

It's a Samsung H4003 LED TV. I had never heard of a TV without any outputs...makes no sense to me.

It's my girlfriend's TV. I haven't owned a TV in probably 6 years. I would love to replace it but that's a rabbit hole I can't afford to go down right now...just bought a house that needs a lot of work so my money is all tied up at the moment. Might buy a new one when the big box stores run their Super Bowl sales in Jan/Feb.

It has a stereo output on minijack.  That's pretty typical to just have an audio output on a TV. 

My old Toshiba Regza LCD was like that, so it was set up as the switchbox for everything and its audio out went to the old Technics receiver I mentioned earlier.

So does this now negate the need for a new receiver?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
I have a class A 2 channel Musichall Mambo I would let go for very very reasonable $. I bought it from another TSer a while back. It has some heavy dings on the fins and the back of it got mashed pretty good (it happened during shipping to the buyer before me). The ONLY issue is the left channel is a little touchy and sometimes will drop out. turning up the volume corrects the issue. Its just sitting at the moment. The thing is heavy as hell. built link a tank. If you are interested in a Class A let me know. You could probably have someone correct it but I have just never spent a lot of time looking at it or for pro repair. I went with Outlaw Audio mono blocks instead with a tube pre to replace this unit.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »

It has a stereo output on minijack.  That's pretty typical to just have an audio output on a TV. 

My old Toshiba Regza LCD was like that, so it was set up as the switchbox for everything and its audio out went to the old Technics receiver I mentioned earlier.

So does this now negate the need for a new receiver?

I've got an Element 60" that has the 1/8" out. I was surprised that it didn't have a couple of RCA's. I had to use a 1/8>dual RCA's to connect it to a receiver. Kind of a pisser :yack:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 07:17:12 AM »

No, it doesn't. There seems to be a lot of different sub-models of this TV. This one has no outputs whatsoever. Trust me.

Edit: It's more specifically a Samsung LED TV UN32EH4003F

Thanks for the recommendations...I'll definitely look into them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:38:27 AM by ashevillain »

Online voltronic

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »

No, it doesn't. There seems to be a lot of different sub-models of this TV. This one has no outputs whatsoever. Trust me.

OK, that's not the exact model that came up when I searched.

That's completely nuts that a TV made in the HDMI era exists without audio output of any kind.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »

OK, that's not the exact model that came up when I searched.

That's completely nuts that a TV made in the HDMI era exists without audio output of any kind.

You're right. My GF has a 32" Toshiba or LG that has 0 audio outs. Guess they save $0.50 on production costs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.274 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com