Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103182 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2016, 02:32:59 AM »
Sounds like your Nak batteries are low too!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2016, 05:37:10 AM »
Isn't the most important "PRO" feature for film - timecode?

Sounds like, at minimum, he should using the new ZOOM F4...
You can't use a Zoom F4 for film work.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
^ This occured on all settings. I typically use the MID level for everything. I even had it on HIGH for the country show yesterday and levels were lower than the other pair of mics on MID. I'll be testing the batteries today and report back. I guess I was hoping that the ext in miniplug on the DR70D would create an inherently weaker signal.

You will see 6dB lower level when you unbalance the signal in the mini plug cable.

I got the same problem with my 300's/DR60. So going from 2 XLR's out from the mics > 1/8' will unbalance the signal thus the 6 db loss?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2016, 04:30:28 AM »
Anyone encounter a 'dead' channel?

I took my DR-70d out for the first time this weekend.  At a festival on Friday night I used 1&2 for a stereo pair (maiden voyage of the ADK TL's that I recently purchased from goodcooker) and recorded the same signal at -12dB on 3&4.  That went fine, but when I press record for the first band on Saturday I've got nothing on channel 2.  I switched all the mics and cables around to isolate the issue, and everything works fine on channels 1, 3, and 4.  I ended up running the stereo pair on 3&4 and was able to record that at -12dB on 1&2, which leads me to believe there's no phantom power on 2.  Why it worked Friday but failed 18 hours later is a mystery which warrants further investigation on my part.  I just got home last night but figured I would post to see if someone else had seen this behavior with the deck. 
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
If it was your first time out, I would first suspect "new device syndrome "

A piece of new gear (if it is going to fail) will either fail soon after first use, or hardly ever at all.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
...warrants a return to the dealer or a warranty claim if you want to go through that.

Offline ScottT

« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
I suspect it is a 'lemon'.  I don't hold out a lot of hope of being able to fix it myself.

I purchased the deck a couple months ago but didn't use it until now because I've been too busy (hadn't seen a show since Memorial Weekend).  It's now outside the vendor's return policy but Tascam's warranty is still in effect.  I'll just have to get the device to an authorized repair shop - fortunately there's one not too far from my office.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »

I took my DR-70d out for the first time this weekend.  At a festival on Friday night I used 1&2 for a stereo pair (maiden voyage of the ADK TL's that I recently purchased from goodcooker) and recorded the same signal at -12dB on 3&4.  That went fine, but when I press record for the first band on Saturday I've got nothing on channel 2.  I switched all the mics and cables around to isolate the issue, and everything works fine on channels 1, 3, and 4.  I ended up running the stereo pair on 3&4 and was able to record that at -12dB on 1&2, which leads me to believe there's no phantom power on 2.  Why it worked Friday but failed 18 hours later is a mystery which warrants further investigation on my part.  I just got home last night but figured I would post to see if someone else had seen this behavior with the deck.

Let's pump the brakes a second on a bad channel.  The 70D has phantom power is enabled / disabled on a per-channel basis.  While scrolling through the menus after your first recording, you could have accidentally disabled phantom power on Ch 2 or disarmed the channel for recording.  All it would take is a quick press and slight turn of the Data knob, when you thought you were just scrolling down the menu.

Another possibility: If you had phantom enabled when you last powered down the unit, then next time you power on it will ask you to individually confirm phantom power for all of the channels that previously had it enabled.  You could have accidentally selected Yes for Ch 1 and No for Ch 2.  The buttons for the two choices are not near each other, but it could happen.

Something similar happened to me two weeks ago.  Even though I have never once used it intentionally, I had somehow accidentally engaged a 120 Hz low cut on Channel 1.  Of course, I had no idea until I exported the recording to my computer and listened.  All it takes is a stray press or tweak of that Data knob...

So, what I would check:
1. BASIC > RECORD - Confirm both Ch 1 & Ch 2 set to ON.
2. BASIC > GAIN - Confirm both Ch 1 & Ch 2 set to the same gain range.  (This obviously wouldn't cause nothing to be recorded, but it could make it sound nearly inaudible depending on what you were recording).
3. INPUT > INPUT GAIN - Confirm both Ch 1 & Ch 2 set to MIC+PHANTOM.
4. Make some test recordings.

Only after you have done all of that would I start to suspect a channel gone bad.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
^^^Good advice^^^
Been there myself...
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline ScottT

« Reply #294 on: October 05, 2016, 01:00:29 AM »
So, what I would check:

Thank you for typing that out.  I knew I would need to spend some time troubleshooting before undertaking any warranty repair/replacement, and having the written steps in front of me made it easy.
I had previously left 3&4 as the Mic+Phantom channels, but I went through the menus and switched back to 1&2.  I made sure they were On with matching Low gain, and hooked up the microphones.  1&2 are currently working fine!  Hopefully it was just a case of operator error or a one time glitch.  Thanks again to everyone - this forum is invaluable...

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #295 on: October 05, 2016, 01:08:15 AM »
^rookie.
 ;)

.............as a fellow owner of the 70D...  it's a nice deck...  but goofy. 
definitely takes some trial and error to run it with success.
hope all is well man!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline ScottT

« Reply #296 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
^rookie.
 ;)

hope all is well man!

Hey Guy!  I definitely feel like a rookie with the new deck and my not-as-successful-as-they-should-be attempts at mixing 4 channels.  I've used SoundForge for almost 20 years and learning a new program has been a challenge.  It doesn't help that my days are full with the regular job, running the horse ranch, and 3 hours commuting - I barely have time to sleep!  I hadn't seen a show since Memorial Weekend but now I've got two festivals and UM Halloween in October.  When it rains it pours...  You should check out our new farm if you're ever in the area - we love it!

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #297 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:57 PM »

Be sure you have "RECORD" set to "ON" in the menus for that channel.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #298 on: October 05, 2016, 10:25:54 PM »
^ That was the first thing I thought. Obvious but easy to make error.

So my battery issue is resolved I guess... I tested the older pair of batteries on my meter and it's the first time I've seen anything visibly low. Per the meter, they registered at around 70%, which seems like there should still be some recording time left but between that reading and the low levels on the recorder, I figured it was best to just toss them. I think the problem was a mix of the input and the batteries (and I didn't mention the sources with the lower levels all had a longer cable). Just hope it didn't affect the sound too much.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #299 on: October 10, 2016, 02:57:38 AM »
^rookie.
 ;)

hope all is well man!

Hey Guy!  I definitely feel like a rookie with the new deck and my not-as-successful-as-they-should-be attempts at mixing 4 channels.  I've used SoundForge for almost 20 years and learning a new program has been a challenge.  It doesn't help that my days are full with the regular job, running the horse ranch, and 3 hours commuting - I barely have time to sleep!  I hadn't seen a show since Memorial Weekend but now I've got two festivals and UM Halloween in October.  When it rains it pours...  You should check out our new farm if you're ever in the area - we love it!

My biggest issues with trying to matrix 4 DAUD sources is, PHASING! If all 4 of your capsules are EXACTLY on the same vertical plane, then you SHOULD be good to go! That's why I got THIS combo bar from SRS!
http://www.shapeways.com/product/J5WZFJ324/dina-din-combo?optionId=60350415

I haven't had a chance to try out the SRS combo bar yet, but I'm HOPING that having all 4 caps aligned vertically to the sound source, will help my phasing issues! It technically should, but being so far away from the sound source does some weird things to a wave lol! I normally ran one of my DAUD rigs about 4" higher and 4" farther back than my 1st pair, and I really noticed some phasing issues on a recent day of recording[8.6.16 Dumpstaphunk & Turkuaz FWIW]! That's why I wanted to get that SRS DINa/DIN bar ASAP! I just haven't taped since that show :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com