Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 3  (Read 102545 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: AKG Active Project part 3
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
Sorry, i guess my language wasn't too clear.  I think going to a separate cable using nanocons is the good idea, much better than having hard-wired cables.  Cables can wear out and break, much better to be able to re-build or throw out cheap cables than to need to rebuild the cables into an expensive active head.  Expensive being a relative term, as it seems Jon is planning on a pretty reasonable price.

Agreed. :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Dkrogh

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • When is my next upgrade?
« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
What is the outside diameter of the "neck" to use it with the schoeps bars?

For those who haven't seen this yet. I have attached a couple of photos of the JKLabs AKG actives solution from tape_ohio's DVC II Yard Sale.

I replaced my JK_Labs collettes and had the new collettes machined so the "neck" would fit into standard schoeps dina/dina etc bars and clips. Cables were also replaced with Belden 1804a.

AKG ck63 > AKG c480b > Marantz PMD670

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
Holy crap guys.  Seeing these mock ups makes me all tingly inside.

Me too ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »

I replaced my JK_Labs collettes and had the new collettes machined so the "neck" would fit into standard schoeps dina/dina etc bars and clips. Cables were also replaced with Belden 1804a.

??? ??? ???

So did you rebuild the FET circuit inside the collettes or somehow extract and re-use the old one?

Very nice work!
same question
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
Sorry, i guess my language wasn't too clear.  I think going to a separate cable using nanocons is the good idea, much better than having hard-wired cables.  Cables can wear out and break, much better to be able to re-build or throw out cheap cables than to need to rebuild the cables into an expensive active head.  Expensive being a relative term, as it seems Jon is planning on a pretty reasonable price.

Another option is Binder connectors - the are fairly cheap at about $10 per connector versus $30 for lemos.  Don't know about nanocons but being a Neutrik part I would think the would be pricy.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
I would think building the FET circuit and powering circuits would be the easy part.  Getting the collettes machined would be the hard part at a cheap enough price - how much did it cost to get these made?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
Can't you guys get anything right?

^
Team Gefell approves that message.   ;)
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »
Can't you guys get anything right?

^
Team Gefell approves that message.   ;)

Don't forget about Team MBHO either :P ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »

Another option is Binder connectors - the are fairly cheap at about $10 per connector versus $30 for lemos.  Don't know about nanocons but being a Neutrik part I would think the would be pricy.

I've got Binder 711 series, three pin, on my ancient Beyerdynamic actives (CV750 body + AV750 collette + CK703 (cardioid) capsule).  These connectors are really nice IMO.  You can also get a four pin version if you like.  They range in price from $5-$10USD each, depending on the connector.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
I replaced my JK_Labs collettes and had the new collettes machined so the "neck" would fit into standard schoeps dina/dina etc bars and clips.

< photo removed >

Slick!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
I've been thinking about the nanocons.   I only use actives for one specific application.  And for that application, the nanocons add too much length. There is no way they'll fit in my rig. I could change the rig, but it is what I've run for many years, it is pretty well engineered, and major advantages would be lost with an alternate setup.

So for the nanocon colettes, I'll need to tear apart the nanocon, pot the critical bits in epoxy (ala stubbie xlr), maybe add some kind of connected shield to cover the backside, and... I guess hot glue it into the colette.  Or hold it in with dental floss (anchoring on what, I'm not sure).  It'd be nice if there was something to tie the floss to ;)

I think I'd rather disassemble the colette, remove the nanocon and find a way to hard solder them, with a strain relief for the cable.  It'd be nice to know the internal dimensions, once they are finalized.

I've never had trouble with my schoeps active cables, where the cable is clamped by a simple metal bar assembly.  If someone trips over a cable and rips it out, I'll have to buy the little piece from schoeps and re-solder.

That the current nanocon design won't fit into a kwon bar is less of a concern for me.  I have an excellent solution for that, and I'll probably offer it for sale.

So, for me, the nanocon length compromises the #1 thing I want actives for.

From the manufacturing perspective - design, construction, being able to send customers replacement cables.. I can see those benefits.  Hopefully Neutrik produces them for a long while.  Going purely by the datasheets, I think I liked the Binder 711's more.  Has anyone worked with both?

Ultimately, we'll make do with nanocons.  I just wanted to express my preference.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »

??? ??? ???

So did you rebuild the FET circuit inside the collettes or somehow extract and re-use the old one?

Very nice work!

I had a little help from my friends since EE is not my forte. We basically reused the circuit that Jon had made and resoldered the new cable and placed in new collette. Collettes were made by a friend of a friend (for free) using a 460 body and ck61 cap as the template and with brass similar to Jon's original collette. I can not remember the neck size offhand since it was a while ago when this was all done.  I have a picture of the interior of the collete if any one is interested and if I can find it.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
#1 reason why I don't want hardwired is because I have to test every coupling, which means the coupling has to be terminated to something.  If that's a PFA, no problem there.  If it's a tinybox or littlebox, then I'd have to keep around a dedicated PFA to test that termination.  If people wanted a different littlebox termination than tinybox's 6 pin, well then I'd have to have an adaptor cable too.  If it's a termination done by the customer, then I'd have to terminate the coupling and then cut it off after it was tested.

All of that increases production time . . .

#2 reason is reliability and repairability.  I don't epoxy stuff that I intend to ever have to repair.  The only things I currently make that is epoxied shut and thus not repairable are the inline pads, which almost never break and only cost $13, so I don't cry if I have to replace one.

If you buy a coupling and epoxy it, don't return it to me for repair because I won't work on it.
sounds smart to me
and being a person who doesn't solder or anything the faster easier repair would be my choice too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
So, for me, the nanocon length compromises the #1 thing I want actives for.

I am a little concerned about the nanocon length too. It's not as low profile as I was hoping for.
In some ways it might be better to have the capsule assembly be hard wired with 2 - 3 feet of cable. The cable being terminated with a connector that'll work with the PFA and or the littlebox/tinybox connectors.

That way the capsule assembly wouldn't be as bulky and if you are using the capsules assemblies body worn you can just plug them into the littlebox/tiny box without the extra connector needed on the capsule end?

Ultimately I'm sure Jon will get it right. I hadn't thought of the testing that would need to be done on the manufacturing end.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
#2 reason is reliability and repairability.  I don't epoxy stuff that I intend to ever have to repair.  The only things I currently make that is epoxied shut and thus not repairable are the inline pads, which almost never break and only cost $13, so I don't cry if I have to replace one.

If you buy a coupling and epoxy it, don't return it to me for repair because I won't work on it.

I appreciate that you're supporting a lot of different configs, and you have to manage your time.

I don't intend to epoxy the colette.  I'm talking about the nanocon that plugs into the colette.   It's just like we do with XLRs to make them smaller.  You cut the outer sleeve, shortening it, eliminate the strain chuck, etc.  The cable exit is typically right angle, with some heat shrink for strain relief.  You pot the whole thing in epoxy.  They work incredibly well.   Many apps just don't need the monster heavy duty strain relief of a regular xlr.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com