Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NAS or similar storage options  (Read 6663 times)

Offline bobstammers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
NAS or similar storage options
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:18:39 AM »
Hi,

I'm in the market for revamping my home storage.

I currently use a WD EX4100 with 4 x 2TB drives giving me 7.2TB overall (back up is done to a couple of external drives).  1 drive has failed and I'm thinking I may as well upgrade the while system instead of replacing the drive as I'm up to 6TB in files.

My current thinking is a WD PR4100 with 4 x 10TB in Raid 5 giving me 30TB usable space including some drive failure security.

I guess what I'm really asking is what is the current thinking on the best way to go and which manufacturers have the best reliability both in terms of the drives and the hardware itself. Also considering best RAID format etc, doesnt have to be RAID 5, am I missing some other configuration..

I run SONOS throughout the house, have the PLEX app for movies and Transmission app for torrents currently on the NAS. Music storage is bog standard MP3 collection, FLAC live stuff, WAV new stuff, also store some movies, music vids, family photos etc.

Your wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Budget is 2k GBP but hopefully closer to 1.5K

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:56:00 AM by bobstammers »
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline Blakeq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: NAS or similar storage options
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
Seems like Synology and qnap are the leaders for Nas stuff and have the best software support.

I just got a lower end Synology. Have not set it up yet.

For drives, some people prefer Western digital or Seagate. I went with Western digital. I got some 12 tb externals during Christmas sales that I will shuck. ( Remove the cases from).

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »
I have so little objective information that was thinking of not even offering it, but anyway, here it is.  I don't have any experience with the WD NAS boxes.  But, I've been running a Synology DS414 for almost 6 years with Seagate NAS 4x4TB drives.  It has been flawless.  I've requested help from Synology a couple of times and they've provided excellent advice, even logging into my NAS remotely and helping me free up space and get it configured properly.  I also have to put in a good word for Newegg - I had originally purchased WD Red drives and for some reason (bad lot I'm guessing) the NAS trashed all 4 during installation.  Newegg took them back and refunded the purchase without a question.  The Seagate drives installed fine and have been running smoothly ever since.
The NAS is running Synology's version of RAID so I'm covered if a disk fails.  Even so, I have it do a weekly backup to an 8 TB and 10TB set of WD MyBook drives.

I particularly like the "DS Audio" phone app that gives me access to my entire music collection wherever I am.  I'm guessing WD and QNAP have similar apps...
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:50:47 PM »
I have been very happy with my synology unit.  On the otherhand stay away from Buffalo products.  Their stuff is unreliable, things failed shortly after warranty expired and support horrible.  The head of support told me I should expect things to fail.  Ended up corresponding with EVP of Sales and Support and they sent a refurbished unit that was DOA.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 11:49:14 PM »
I've been running a Synology DS918+ with 4x6TB  WD Red drives. Gives me about 16GB total storage.

It's been 100% reliable (knock on wood). It was easy to set up, and has a lot of options to use it for other things. Currently I have Deluge (torrent client) running on it. One of these days I'll get around to setting up Plex (media server) as well.

Don't forget that a NAS is NOT a backup solution by itself. Yep, a drive can die and you'll probably be ok...but if you're house burns down...it's gone. If you accidentally delete a bunch of stuff it might also be gone.

Because of this I also have a Synology DS218+ that lives at my brothers house. I initially backed it up and home and then brought it over to his house where it gets sync'd to the 918+ nightly.

Finally, I keep 1 HD in a safe deposit box that is a back up of my critical data (mostly my recordings and photos). That gets updated about once a year
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 03:31:42 AM »
... I also have a Synology DS218+ that lives at my brothers house. I initially backed it up at home and then brought it over to his house where it gets sync'd to the 918+ nightly.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
This is a great plan
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
The best thing I can recommend (it's what I use) is a good quality small server, like the HP Microserver, with four disks and running FreeNAS as the operating system.

I have both of them actually and I can even replicate content between them.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:19:10 AM »
I've been pretty happy with a Drobo 5N, but it screwed me out of files I had labeled with ">" (as in dpa4021>miniME>R44).
Those files existed but were renamed to HHGVBLJZJ or some such nonsense, so I lost a lot of source info.

Otherwise, yay for the NAS system!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
I've been pretty happy with a Drobo 5N, but it screwed me out of files I had labeled with ">" (as in dpa4021>miniME>R44).
Those files existed but were renamed to HHGVBLJZJ or some such nonsense, so I lost a lot of source info.

good to know, i'm on a drobo 5n myself.  no problems, all 5 drives are healthy and i use all the extension/apps like transmission/plex/drobopix etc.
i wanna go synology, but also dont want to spend the time to change my setup

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »

good to know, i'm on a drobo 5n myself.  no problems, all 5 drives are healthy and i use all the extension/apps like transmission/plex/drobopix etc.
i wanna go synology, but also dont want to spend the time to change my setup
Drobo 5N crashed, but managed to get it all back, very very long process. So, now have a seagate drive that just gets backed up too and left alone, had to get it to back up the Drobo 5N when it crashed.
Multiple storage drives seems to be safest thing.
But the NAS Drobo 5N is absolutely wonderful hooked to my Oppo for play back of 24bit shows.
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 08:41:26 AM »
I got a synology 1819+ recently and love it. I've had plans to build a Freenas box myself for years but never got around to doing it right. Pulled the trigger on a synology and 32gb of ram. I was able to put all of my old 500gb and 1tb drives in it and then bit by bit move data from USB's onto it. Then when the USB externals (2tb and 4tb mostly) were free I shucked one and put it into the synology to get a little more space. Rinse and repeat.

I bought two new WD Red 8Tb and now I'm all set. Gigabit ethernet for my main workstation and the synology.

I dabble with Proxmox and VM's and can use it as storage for those too.

Very happy. No more piles of USB drives or digging them out of boxes to find something.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 02:15:30 AM »
I've had plans to build a Freenas box myself for years but never got around to doing it right.
It can be a bit tricky, admitted, because not all PCs are born equal despite claims. There is a list of dont's and many
people choose to ignore it because, well, they know better.

Other than that, FreeNAS can offer the levels of reliability you can only find in big name, high end storage kit costing many thousands of dollars.

The FreeNAS forum has comprehensive lists of recommendations.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Synology DS1515+ owner here. Had it almost four years. the base unit died, under warranty, about 3 months ago and they were incredibly responsive support wise, exchanged my 1515+ with a refurbed one and the 5x4TB drives (RAID) all re-built almost immediately. I use WD Red Pro drives. Got them from B&H and one was dead out of the box, exchanged no problem.
We use Synology at work for backup boxes. Highly recommended (compared to other brands) if you can afford them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:55:01 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »
I've had plans to build a Freenas box myself for years but never got around to doing it right.
It can be a bit tricky, admitted, because not all PCs are born equal despite claims. There is a list of dont's and many
people choose to ignore it because, well, they know better.

Other than that, FreeNAS can offer the levels of reliability you can only find in big name, high end storage kit costing many thousands of dollars.

The FreeNAS forum has comprehensive lists of recommendations.

Freenas is awesome. I've setup freenas a couple times in old cases and then for various reasons wasn't ready to commit to the upgrades to make it production ready. When I looked at getting a case recently with hot swappable bays, H310 raid cards, etc I decided my time is worth the investment in a synology. It just works. Synology is basically a productized version of what i'd build myself on freenas. I highly recommend that anybody with the inclination take a hard look at freenas.

Now i'm thinking about backups. Options are to build a freenas box with the spare drives and some upgrades or get a dx517 or a smaller unit like a 1019+. I'm pushing everything to backblaze buckets but if I ever had to restore a lot of data that would be expensive so I'd like a local copy.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Online morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 04:20:26 AM »

>:D  Devil's advocate, but I really do wonder:

Someone please remind me why "Cloud" (some other entity has your data) or "Multiple Drive" solutions (RAID? Redundant array of inexpensive devices? They are all relatively cheap now!) are better than JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Discs.)
Is it that you have trouble organizing your files? *
My goal for backup is at least three copies of anything important, and one of those should be moved "off site" to another location for safety.
WHY NAS?
Do you truly require 100% availability? All files on line at all times? Why? Are you sharing files at all times?
*I have a program on my Mac called DiskTracker that indexes volumes so I can search for things which are not plugged in at the moment.
I just don't understand the "need" for all files to be available at all times, unless you are hosting a server for remote access. If you have told others that they could go to an Internet address and find a file, then I DO understand. I just don't think most of us are doing that!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.348 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com